Truck driver seeks help

This is a discussion on Truck driver seeks help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all, I am a driver that travels 48 states, and as a consequence of my occupation, I travel to many areas that I would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck driver seeks help

Truck driver seeks help

Howdy all, I am a driver that travels 48 states, and as a consequence of my occupation, I travel to many areas that I would rather not be in. I live in WI, an open carry only state (which I do when in my home state).

My question is how do I become ccw permitted in the most number of states that allow ccw in the most expidited manner. I feel the need to protect myself, however I would like to do so legally wherever possible.

I know concealed is concealed, and I have not had a problem in 2+ years, but I would like to be as legal as possible. Help?

Thanks a million to all who respond.

2. Remove Ads

My first permit was a Florida non resident permit. I still have one of those and I also have one from my new home state of Texas. If you check the Packing.org website they have maps showing what permits are good where. Something to be aware of though is that some states only honor permits from your state of residence. I think I read elsewhere on this site that if you have Florida and I think its Utah that you pretty much have all the coverage you are going to get. Good Luck!

First off... welcome to the forum. I noticed you joined in March but have only made two posts so I hope you visit us often and post here.

Yes... several states offer "Non-Resident" permits and you should get most coverage from only having to have 3 or so "Non-Resident" permits. Like mcp1810 said, there are a few states who recognize out of state permits, but not "Non-Resident" out of state permits. (There is nothing you can do about that unless you move from Wisconsin).

So go to packing.org and spend some time doing research. Each state has a map of which states honors permits from other states. Also I believe Illinois honors No Ones permit, period! Pay close attention to which states don't honor non-resident permits.

Bear in mind, it can get expensive if you are wanting coverage in all the lower 48 states (Illinois excluded of course)

And support "National Resiprosity" every chance you get!

http://www.packing.org/
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Not sure you know this or not, but Commercial vehicle drivers are NOT allowed to have a firearm in the commercial vehicle. This is a Federal law and of course overrides any state CHL laws.

So, any CHL you have for any state is null and void while your driving a commercial truck. Even if your an owner operator and that $100,000 dollar "rig" is yours, you cant carry in it so long as your hauling freight for money.

Im not promoting breaking the law, but I have known MANY over the road drivers to carry.
    D.O.T. will give you a hard time, but most local and state policeman whereyour CHL is accepted in understand that truck drivers do need protection out in the highway when they are alone. So they usually "dont see a gun" in the sleeper berth of your truck.

Bottom line, do what you have to do to survive and keep yourself protected.

But be aware that in a court of law, you will most likely be found guilty.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Please cite the Reg...

Please, I'm not trying to stir things up, but as a reference, could you cite the D.O.T. regs that prohibit drivers from carrying a firearm? I used to drive, but maybe the regs have changed since then. This question has been raised on another forum and, if memory serves, the consensus was that D.O.T. has no prohibition and only state laws apply. Thank you.

Tom Gresham on guntalk gets the question about the federal law prohibiting truckers carrying. He says he has talked to DOT and done checking and the law is a myth, it does not exist. I think he has been getting this question for years and I think by now if such a reg/law existed he would have discovered it.
    That said there are certainly companies that ban it. Which reminds me on guntalk Tom was saying that some companies will reword the Regulation in question so it appears that guns are banned.

As far as ccw permits check http://www.handgunlaw.us/.

That law does not exist.
    The company my wife works for requires CHL's for their people in the field, and they provide each company field truck with a revolver.

Utah, Florida, and NH permits will cover you in 32 states.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Not sure you know this or not, but Commercial vehicle drivers are NOT allowed to have a firearm in the commercial vehicle. This is a Federal law and of course overrides any state CHL laws.
    So, any CHL you have for any state is null and void while your driving a commercial truck. Even if your an owner operator and that $100,000 dollar "rig" is yours, you cant carry in it so long as your hauling freight for money.

Im not promoting breaking the law, but I have known MANY over the road drivers to carry.
    D.O.T. will give you a hard time, but most local and state policeman whereyour CHL is accepted in understand that truck drivers do need protection out in the highway when they are alone. So they usually "dont see a gun" in the sleeper berth of your truck.

Bottom line, do what you have to do to survive and keep yourself protected.

But be aware that in a court of law, you will most likely be found guilty.

As someone who spent the lionís share of my professional life behind the wheel of a truck, and now in a management position in a transportation related field, I would like to know which Government regulations cover this. I have searched the FMSR, the DOT regulations and Keller Online and can find no where that even mentions a firearm let alone prohibits the carrying of one in a CMV. I have always believed that it was illegal but now that I have the time to research it I can not find where it says it is illegal. Thanks for your help.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Administrator
    I dont think the D.O.T thing exists...

back on topic, many states have a prudent man clause, meaning that if you are a prudent person and have a "good reason" to be carrying your OK to do so. The problem is good reason means different things to different people. I would think if you are hauling valued frieght or have large amounts of cash for fuel thats good reason. Liberal courts tend to see money and goods as more important than your life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    The company my wife works for requires CHL's for their people in the field, and they provide each company field truck with a revolver
    Are they hiring?

Bit of a commute, but heck, I'll provide my own cannon

Well, I guess thats what I get for taking a bunch of truck drivers advice...... LOL

Man, I guess a lot of them are mislead. So many of them have told me that a commercial truck it was prohibited to have a gun its scary.

Sorry for posting the wrong info guys.....
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Please, I'm not trying to stir things up, but as a reference, could you cite the D.O.T. regs that prohibit drivers from carrying a firearm?
    I was one of 2 of the first Troopers in IL back in 1982 to be certified to enforce motor carrier safety laws. That required a 3 week school and 2 certification tests. Enforced a lot of MCS laws in my career and did a lot of inspections. In addition I taught MCS law at our academy.
    That said, there is nothing in the MCS laws prohibiting firearms/ammo in commercial vehicles. There may be state laws prohibiting carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle such as IL but it's not in the MCS section and such prohibition does not apply only to commercial rigs.

Lew
    It is NOT against federal Law for a Trucker to have a firearm. This myth was started long ago by a COMPANY that did not want their drivers armed. Company's are required to supply the driver with a current copy of a FMCSR Book. These books are typically printed by JJ Keller and Associates. What started this whole lie, was a single sentance concerning explosives was edited to include the word firearm, even though the real regulations never used the word firearm. The rumor mill in the trucking world being what it is, the lie flourished amazingly well. Today almost everyone BELIEVES it is against the law but it is not.

I have a pdf copy on my busted laptop of the FMCSR and have searched it for "firearm' and "gun" and "ammunition" and these words are not in the regulations.

If you want to do your own search, here is the link to the regulations.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...fmcsrguide.htm

Don't perpetuate the lie. Do your own research, become informed. Get licensed and carry in the states you are legal for and lock them up per the federal statue
    Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 44 > § 926a
    § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

You may download this from http://www.handgunlaw.us this website is the new home of the orignal guys who brought you packing.org
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Last I remember checking both Florida and Utah gave you the same number of states but there was one difference between the two. Like for one you were good in Washington state but not PA and the other you were good in PA but not WA. Getting both really was a waste of money unless you really needed that one off state. I would go with Florida as if you have taken a WI DNR course it will probably be accepted but you need a Utah certified instructor for their permit. If you are close to MN come get one of ours and it should get you the Florida permit too. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Thankyou all for your imput!

I have been doing lots of lurking and reading, and really like this site :), I just dont post much on any forum.

I am just 15 miles from Duluth, MN, So if mn lets me get a permit still being a wi resident that seems the way to go, and get the fl out of state permit. If I am reading corretly that would allow me 32 state coverage? Or would reciprocity not work with me as a wi resident holding a mn and fl permit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links