Help With MI laws

Help With MI laws

This is a discussion on Help With MI laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so here is the quick run down. I have no CCW I do own a few handguns. I can not get a CCW until ...

Thread: Help With MI laws

Question Help With MI laws

Ok so here is the quick run down.

I have no CCW
    I do own a few handguns.
    I can not get a CCW until next july ( i was a lil' silly a few years back).
    I would like to ride my bicycle to work, but be able to bring my handgun to work.

how in the world would this be ok to do?????
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "If all good things come to those that wait, how long before I get the best?" ---Me

http://www.nextlevelcellular.com/

if its in a locked case on your back maybe it would be ok its iffy since you are riding a bike

Lead Moderator
    Since you are sharing the road , I would consider (for legal purposes) you are operating the same as a motor vehicle. Locked in a case (in backpack) should be o.k.
    Try contacting local prosecutor and see what he recommends. Get it in writing too.
    Open carry is legal, however GR may have city ordinances against such practice. (also it is prudent not to open carry in city )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

First question are you allowed to have your gun at work (in the building)? If so is there a safe place to store it while you are working? Otherwise it would not be wise of you to bring your gun with you.

But IF it is unloaded and in a locked case there is no reason you shouldn't be able to carry it in a backpack.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    I need help with MI in-laws too. But shooting them is not the answer.

im confused. are you asking about bringing your gun with you before or after you get your cpl? Before- I dont think you can. The law says you can transport it in the trunk of your car- which for you maybe you can get away with a backpack- but you can only be transporting it 'for a lawful purpose'- which here doesnt mean just not killing someone. at least i dont think. i heard that was ruled as meaning only to and from ranges, etc.
    After you get yours cpl- well then whatever is fine. But where will you put it when at work. if you cant carry at work then maybe ask your boss if you can store it somewhere locked up. but if its not allowed on your works property (like mine grr). then theres not much you can do

I think fire is correct.

I just moved from MI to IN.

With the transport I think that you can only go to and from the range or hunting.

Like what was said talk to Jim Simmons at the michigan gun owners forum.

There is a "legal" sub forum where you can find safe info.

remember you get what you pay for! make sure your choice is based on the best and reliable info from a proper source.

Best bet is to contact the AG or a Lawyer who knows gun laws(like jim simmons)

I have no CPL. I also own my own business. however i do not feel safe leaving the gund locked up at work. i would prefer to take it with me. now the way i am understanding it, the castle doc... protects me at work and home to either conceal carry or open. however i want to know what i can do to ride my bicycle to work as i do need the excercise (to many cigars, i guess).
    "If all good things come to those that wait, how long before I get the best?" ---Me

Open Carry it if legal in Grand Rapids allows it.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

oh ok i see what your saying now.
    im 85% sure that you cannot do that. As far as I know, if you dont have your CPL it has to be in the "trunk" of your car and transporting to like a gun range. Technically MI has open carry but i would not suggest it.
    My suggestion: get your CPL!

Exclamation

long story short.... i havce to wait until next year before i can apply....stupid driving law crap in MI and being dumb when i was a bit younger.

so I am a bit lost. technically, I am able to transport in my vehicle to and from work, which would be protected under the castle law, in of course a locked case. However I can not lock it up and transport it in a locked case in a backpack in a bike???? *** is this world coming to....oh well........

Links