Age to Concealed Carry?

Age to Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Age to Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Vermont and we dont require permits to carry concealed. I was just wondering, that even though I wouldn't need to have a ...

Age to Concealed Carry?

I live in Vermont and we dont require permits to carry concealed. I was just wondering, that even though I wouldn't need to have a permit, is there an age I would have to be (21?) Im 19 and I cannot find any information reguarding an age limit on conceal carry in Vermont, only that there are no permits required.

tl;dr version: What age do you have to be to carry concealed in Vermont?

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome - I would have thought the state website should make mention of this - don't have a url but a google should bring something up.

I think we have one or two VT members and others may know - hopefully an answer will be found.

Almost all states IIRC are 21 years old - with I believe one exception for 18 - unless that is just the age for handgun ownership.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

They have things about the age of purchase, but not about the age to actually be able to carry concealed (or open)

I know in Indiana you can carry concealed at 18 but you have to be 21 to buy a pistol. Call your local state police post and they should be able to tell you. If they can't tell you get ahold of your local BATF office.

I think you can carry and own a pistol at 18 in VT as you can in NH and ME. You can buy a pistol from a non-FFL, legally but to buy from an FFL you will have to be 21.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    California is 18, which is why Kansas doesn't recognize them.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun View Post
    I know in Indiana you can carry concealed at 18 but you have to be 21 to buy a pistol. Call your local state police post and they should be able to tell you. If they can't tell you get ahold of your local BATF office.
    How exactly does that work? Are you allowed to carry a gun that is like registered to your dad or a relative? Or can you legally own a gun if it was a gift from a relative or something similar?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Vermont Statutes.

A bit of poking around found the following.

In short: I'd bet it's 18yrs of age, when a "child" reaches the age of "majority."

Title 33, ch. 49, § 4912, Child Welfare Services "Definitions". "Child" means an individual under the age of majority. I am assuming this means 18yrs of age, but haven't found that anywhere.

Other elements of VT law which have at least some bearing, but don't seem to alter the basic "majority" requirement ... Some of these point to 18yrs of age being the cutoff; some, 16yrs of age. But "age of majority" should mean: fully able to vote as a citizen, unless otherwise specified.

Title 13, ch. 85, § 4003 Carrying Dangerous Weapons. In order to be a felonious activity, carrying must be done with intent to cause harm, else it's merely carrying.

Title 13, ch. 85, § 4007 Furnishing Firearms To Children. Others may not supply a child under 16yrs of age weapons or ammo.

Title 13, ch. 85, § 4008 Possession Of Firearms By Children. Children under 16yrs of age cannot possess, without parental consent, else they're deemed "delinquent."

Title 10a, ch. 1, § 37 Deer Management Rule. Each person hunting under this section shall be accompanied by an unarmed adult who holds a valid hunting license and who is over 18 years of age.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    How exactly does that work? Are you allowed to carry a gun that is like registered to your dad or a relative? Or can you legally own a gun if it was a gift from a relative or something similar?
    I have heard from someone that as long as you are given the handgun for free, you can own it at 18.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    I have heard from someone that as long as you are given the handgun for free, you can own it at 18.

Thanks for your responses guys.

you can be given a gun OR you can buy a gun...the only federal law says that to buy from an FFL licensee you have to be 21 in the case of a handgun. You can buy a hangun from a non-licensee at 18 in many states
    ..the only thing this does in limit which guns you can get since you can't have an FFL order something for you or buy something online and have it transfered through your FFL...so you are limited to what is for sale in your local paper etc.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    you can be given a gun OR you can buy a gun...the only federal law says that to buy from an FFL licensee you have to be 21 in the case of a handgun. You can buy a hangun from a non-licensee at 18 in many states
    ..the only thing this does in limit which guns you can get since you can't have an FFL order something for you or buy something online and have it transfered through your FFL...so you are limited to what is for sale in your local paper etc.

Well-put Raysheen. You're dead on. What it comes down to is this: You must be 21 to buy a handgun from a store. If your buddy or relative or some random joe wants to sell one to you, you must be 18.

Wish I could help you with the state laws.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

This is what the law says in vermont, the basic key ages are 16, 18 and 21 depending on your reading of the laws. this is always done on purpose in Vermont nothing is ever spelled out exact here in Vermont so we never really know what rules are until it is challenged in court.

IMO I think if your between the ages of 16 and 21 and live here in Vermont your story will have to be you were given it as a gift from a parent or you found the gun on the side of the road with a full box of ammunition included.

Under Vermont Statutes Annotated title 13, § 4008, a person under age 16 is prohibited from possessing a handgun without the consent of a parent or guardian. (Note that federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under age 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (3) and (5).) There is no minimum age to possess a rifle or shotgun in Vermont.

In addition, anyone other than a parent or guardian who sells or furnishes to a person under the age of sixteen any firearm or ammunition, will be fined between $10 and $50. Vt. Stat. Ann. tit. 13, § 4007. This prohibition does not apply to "an instructor or teacher who furnishes firearms to pupils for instruction and drill." Id.

Federal law prohibits firearms dealers from selling or delivering a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). Dealers are prohibited from selling or delivering other firearms (e.g., handguns) or ammunition for those firearms to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 21. Id.

Federal law provides less stringent age restrictions with respect to sales by unlicensed persons. Unlicensed persons generally may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (3) and (5). Federal law provides no age limitations with respect to the sale of a long gun by an unlicensed person.

I have lived in Tennessee for almost 2 years now and I have yet to find out the age to carry here in Tennessee.

I am betting it is 21 though. Does anyone know for sure?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In the state of Indiana you do not have to register your guns. My dad bought me one for an x-mas present when I turned 18. As long as you have permission from the owner of the gun to carry it then it is leagle.

I just got a confirmation from someone who works for the Department of Public safety and they said that Vermont has no gun laws and that you can carry concealed/open loaded/unloaded anywhere but schools and government buildings.

Links