My Berea, KY PD Meeting at 3 a.m....

My Berea, KY PD Meeting at 3 a.m....

This is a discussion on My Berea, KY PD Meeting at 3 a.m.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I just returned from a round-trip drive...FL to MI and back. We went to MI to visit 'outlaws' and our new grandson. ...

Post My Berea, KY PD Meeting at 3 a.m....

My wife and I just returned from a round-trip drive...FL to MI and back. We went to MI to visit 'outlaws' and our new grandson. Our stay in MI was uneventful for the most part and I did have a chance to meet Rocky (moderator)...nice guy...enjoyed the lunch and conversaton.

But the trip home...

We were ready to get home, so we decided to make it a two-day drive...MI to KY the first night, and KY back to Gainesville the second night.

Now this is not a wild story, so no need to get a beer and popcorn, but it was a great LE experience.

We left MI and stopped briefly in IN to visit my son's new place (during my stay in MI, I had helped move him from N. MI to IN)...anyway we were on the road late, and drove to Berea, KY, arriving about 3 a.m.

Prior to the final stop, my wife was already bugging me about a room (had to take pets) around 1 a.m. I, however, wanted to drive a little further to make the two-day trip 'equal distances' for both driving days.

I started stopping at a few places between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. with each place giving a 'no' to the pets. My wife was tired and cranky (my wife is probably the only cranky wife on this forum, right?). Finally, in Berea, KY (some may know that town) there was a Days Inn. I pulled up to the drive-thru next to the brightly lit office area. My wife had pulled herself up to watch the events that followed.

I walked into the office area that had a double entrance, the first door was normal, but the second was a buzz to enter type...except it was held open as it apparently did not close tightly from the last customer.

I walked into the main office area, the TV was playing loudly...odd, I thought. The computer was tilted in toward the lobby area...again, odd, I thought. There were checks scattered all over the desk area, and a money bag (I think) sitting on the desk. Mmmmmmm...
    Then I started calling out for someone. There was an "Employees Only" sign on a back room and an open laundry room at the other end of the office...all was lit up and opened. I called several times and even knocked on what appeared to be a sleeping area in back of the desk...no answer...

Then it hit me...duh...I'm going to walk in on a guy with a gun holding up the place or if I keep looking, I'll find a body...

I did have my Kimber Ultra CDP II under my shirt IWB at 3:30...but I did not like the idea of being in a 'situation' armed or not (yes, armed is better, I guess).

I immediately dialed 911 and the operator asked me what my emergency was...I said that I was not sure, but things looked a little suspicious. The operator (apparently a regional 911) connected me with the Berea PD. That operator listened to my description and said that a car would be there momentarily and to stay put.

Now my wife is watching me call out and walk from room to room...she can't hear me, and can only see me...and I was getting strange looks from her.

Within 3-4 minutes this PD car speeds right up to the door and blocks my wife's view. He jumps out and comes right in...I'm cool because I'm still on the phone with 911...I'm not the bad guy.

As he comes in...hand on his weapon...he asks me again about what I saw. I give him the story, and it is at this point I inform him that I'm a legally armed Floridian. He then asks me where my weapon is...I tell him that it's inside my right side waistband...he says OK. Then he asks me if I'm some type of law enforcement...I said, "NO, I'm just a legally armed, responsible citizen!" He says, "I don't have a problem with that." Then, he proceeds to walk around the office area and goes into a couple of back rooms. Bingo...the 'dimwit' manager is fast asleep, way in the back...

The cop brings him out and kind of 'scolds' him for leaving an open office with customers in attendance...the manager was definitely a 'nimrod'...

I thanked the officer for responding so quickly and appologized for the trouble. He said it was not a problem.

As he was leaving, he asked me what type of gun I had...I told him that is was a nice custom Kimber...he said, "Those are nice guns. Have a good night!"...and off he went...as quickly as he had arrived.

As the cop is leaving, I look at my wife who looks 'stunned' to say the least...she had that *** look... I walked out to the car and she wanted to know what was going on...I shared the incident, giving words to what she had viewed as a 'silent movie'.

Mr. Nimrod () gave us our room and we vanished for the rest of the night...

It did make for an interesting end to a long day. The Berea cop was very pleasant, and I appreciated his quick response.

Should I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    You stayed cool. So did the cop. Nice work.
    ps. the manager should go back to his day job.

Lead Moderator
    Nice job. sounds like you handled it very well. your wife armed at the time?
    It was nice to meet up with you too. Next time you are in MI, maybe we can get some shooting in. This time I get to buy lunch .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Cool, you handled this well, this event enforces my belief that most cops are supportive with legally concealed carry.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice work. Way to keep the guard up and handle the situation.

Glad to have you passing through our fine state. Sorry about the nimrod. Unfortunately we have more than one here.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

GJ! Can't be too careful these days. Public shootings (or any shootings for that matter) are obviously becoming more and more trendy for these BG's that wanna make a name for themselves. Gotta fight back... God bless man.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Nice job. sounds like you handled it very well. your wife armed at the time?
    It was nice to meet up with you too. Next time you are in MI, maybe we can get some shooting in. This time I get to buy lunch .
    Yes, she was...

And yes again...shooting next time. Actually, I had brought about 500 rounds with me...but did not get to shoot...I was sure that I would have be able to shoot in the woods somewhere...no luck!

Take care...

ret/Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I have several shooting ranges (free ) in the woods nearby, so feel free to bring along some guns next time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Its always good to hear about a LEO encounter that dosen't end up FUBAR once you say your armed.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    Enjoyed the story.
    Clerk sounds like a real doofus....

HKR
    Noticed things were suspicious, didn't draw weapon and go looking for trouble, called 911 and stayed on the line until LEO arrived. Thats why I like this forum. A couple of the other forums I sometimes visit are inhabited by individuals that either would have done something really stupid to make the situation worse, or would have suggested that you should have. You not only did the sleeping manager a favor, but you also made the rest of us who carry look good at the same time. Thank You.

Links