2:30 am who could that be at the door? - Page 2

2:30 am who could that be at the door?

This is a discussion on 2:30 am who could that be at the door? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Anubis -If it's not a neighbor I recognize or uniformed delivery guy (like USPS, UPS, or FedeX), I don't respond. -If it's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2:30 am who could that be at the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    -If it's not a neighbor I recognize or uniformed delivery guy (like USPS, UPS, or FedeX), I don't respond.
    -If it's someone with a clipboard in hand and no uniform, I don't respond.
    You've probably missed out on so many awesome deals for newspaper/mag subscriptions, utility/cable service, and overpriced candy that you'd cry if you knew how much you could've saved.

My wife saved us $800 on 5 years of magazine subscriptions a couple years ago. No scam, she paid up front for 5 years worth, and they still come every month. They also go in the trash right away, so it's a good thing we arent paying the cover price. Good thing shes pretty, huh?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sneak out the back door and flank him!

At 0230 the wife dials 911 (to report a suspicious person) and I with gun in hand move to intercept. As a LEO I am always leary of visits from "clients" that I have crossed paths with.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Sneak out the back door and flank him!

At 0230 the wife dials 911 (to report a suspicious person) and I with gun in hand move to intercept. As a LEO I am always leary of visits from "clients" that I have crossed paths with.
    just make sure they don't mistake YOU for the suspicious person

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Regardless of the time of day:
    -I sneak to the door so the persons outside won't feel the vibration of my approach.
    -I observe the visitors through the spyhole.
    -If it's not a neighbor I recognize or uniformed delivery guy (like USPS, UPS, or FedeX), I don't respond.
    -If it's someone with a clipboard in hand and no uniform, I don't respond.

(I am armed if I open the door, since I'm always armed anyway.)
    Hehe. I sneak to the door too! Basically the same routine you have.

VIP Member

Unsafe-to-answer-the-door Story

We live in the country and have had a few unexpected nighttime visitors ourselves, thankfully all legitimate.

About ten years ago my wife was driving home and met a young boy and girl (older teens) walking down the road, she knew it was a strange place (deserted) for them to be, but she knew not to stop. The boy looked straight ahead, the girl glared at my wife when she went by them. They made no effort to flag her down or impede her in any way. My wife made no effort to assist. It was such a minor encounter that my wife didn't even mention it to me when she got home.

A couple of hours later we heard of a local murder. Two young kids approached a neighbors house (4 miles away is a neighbor in the country) the father was away, the mother came out on the porch, the kids asked for a drink of water and to use the phone, she returned with the water and phone. The boy told the girl, "ok I'm gonna do it" and shot the mother in the forehead, the boy entered the house shot the young son (who had armed himself with his BB gun in his bedroom), their daughter escaped by busting out the back door, running like a deer across the pasture while the killer was at the back of her house shooting at her while she ran. He missed, she got away and survived. The teens took the family pickup truck, and a great manhunt was soon underway, and the teens were caught during the night as they slept in the woods. The boy is still in prison (lifer?) the girl served quite a few years then released (she had not shot anyone, though not quite innocent) Yep, and you guessed it that was the two kids that my wife saw on her way home right before the murders occurred. They had stolen a car in another city about an hour away, randomly came to our area, wrecked in a ditch on a side road, and began walking, and I suppose planning. They had previously knocked at two other houses and the occupants simply didn't answer. Probably save their lives. Very sad story!

I believe that Nutone makes a nice ($600) video and audio door answering device (my current door answering device was invented in 1911) I mount the base anywhere inside my house, and there is a small box to put by each of my exterior doors. If someone rings the doorbell I can look at my base station and see them, along with speak with them. Of course they can't see me, and that's a good thing if I'm not properly dressed. I think it's a safe manner to answer the door these days, certainly less risky when my wife is alone. FYI I don't sell them, but am considering getting one for our house.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Short and sweet - Have had 1 stranger and 2 LEOs knock late at night
    within the last year or so.

Used the peephole ,turned on outside light , and asked for verbal ID all times before opening the door.

Nothing eventful - and None of them knew I was Armed from the
    Get Go
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

About thirty years ago I was sharing an apartment with my sister in southern California. One evening about 8 pm there was a loud and persistent knock on the door and I answered it. It was an old drunk that was sure that I was hiding a) who ever he was looking for and b) that I had a bottle for him. I told him to leave and closed the door in his face. After a few minutes the knocking started again, once more I told him to leave. The third time he started banging on the door I opened it whit my Dan Wesson .357 magnum resting on my shoulder, his eyes got big and round as he saw that 8 inch barrel pointing at the ceiling. I once more “explained” that he had the wrong apartment. He almost fell down the steps as he turned away mumbling “there just ain’t no need for that” This time I called the police and we watched from our balcony as they drug him from under a parked pick-up and arrested him. All’s well that ends well I guess.

Now my wife is a 911 operator and she gets calls from people all the time, day and night, because someone has knocked on their door. People are starting to be more careful now days, in fact right up to the point of being paranoid. One call my wife took was from an older lady that became so frightened when someone rang her doorbell that she hid in a closet and called 911, as she talked to my wife my wife heard a gunshot and a scream… the woman had shot herself in the foot as she lay crouching on the floor of the closet. We never did know who rang her doorbell.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrvoy View Post
    One call my wife took was from an older lady that became so frightened when someone rang her doorbell that she hid in a closet and called 911, as she talked to my wife my wife heard a gunshot and a scream… the woman had shot herself in the foot as she lay crouching on the floor of the closet. We never did know who rang her doorbell.
    That sounds eerily similar to this, which I saw posted on another forum just today: http://www.break.com/index/husband-s...-break-in.html

It had a happy ending (for the good guys, that is) despite a less-than-empathetic 911 operator.

Taken out of context, it may sound cruel, but it's been said here several times...and it makes sense to me.

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet!

If someone rings your doorbell at 3 a.m., assume it is the 'lead collector.'

Stay safe...be alert, think ahead...stay safe!

OMO...your may vary!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    This is why I taught my dog to bark and hold, and he practices on the coupon salesmen. Someone at the front door, he's out the back. Unfortunatly, he's not around right now.
    So, I'm back to the old rule 870.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'd say a person would have to be an idiot to open the door for a stranger at 2:30 a.m. ... or just about any time of the day or night ... particularly in a condition white, unarmed way like your stepfather apparently did. What was he thinking?! Did he have a moment's thought in his head to consider the minute chance that the stranger at the door at 2:30 a.m. might be a home invader, and a deadly danger to his family? Sheez!

ANY time someone knocks late I grab my weapon first. A few years ago when I was in an apartment, I woke up to someone pounding on my door at about 3am. I'm talking serious pounding... I grabbed my Astra 9mm, and verbally shouted to the person from a closed door to identify. They said they were a repro/collection agency looking for "Mr. John Doe (forgot the name they actually used"). i told them it wasn't me- wrong address but the guy kept pounding and saying, "We know it's you so just open up - we're not going away.". Well, I pulled kind of a dumb move - I opened the door up (pistol held behind my back) and told the guy that he needed to leave right then or I was calling the cops. He must have thought I was bluffing because the guy actually tried to push past me - and this was a BIG dude. I took 2 steps back and lowered my hand so the gun was visible. And told him to get out. That changed his mind right quick and he left with his "co-worker" real fast. To this day I don't know if they were genuine repro strong arms or crooks, but if this same thing happened to me today there is no way I would open the door now - I'd just call the cops and let them sort it out. Plus, I should have actually moved into a more agressive stance with my weapon aimed when the guy tried to push past me - just brandishing the gun at my side turned out to be enough of a threat, but had they been serious bad asses, that may have just given them an opportunity to make a grab for the weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    IF I open the door I will have an 870 or an AK in hand. If it is the police, I hope they wouldn't have a problem with me answering the door armed.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Taken out of context, it may sound cruel, but it's been said here several times...and it makes sense to me.

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet!

If someone rings your doorbell at 3 a.m., assume it is the 'lead collector.'

ret
    +1 to that Retsupt! You are 100% on target with that one.

I will give you a quick story.
    1999, approx 11:30pm at night, we lived in the deep woods of Mobile County Alabama. My wife and I were up but the the kids were asleep.

This is before I carried all the time as I do now (if I am awake and not in the shower, the G23 is on my right hip, no exceptions). We were watching a movie, some stupid scary movie that wasn't really too scary. Just as the climactic scene built up there was a thunderous crash on our front door about 5 feet from where I sat. I actually thought to myself "wow, this movie just got a lot better, that sounded like it was right in the room with us." Then there was another crash and I realized that someone was trying to kick my front door in!

I jumped up and ran to the bedroom to get the Mossberg 590. I came back into the room as my wife was getting her gun, a snub nose .357 at the time, and we went to the door.
    I yelled for the guy to stop kicking the door and he stammered something about his car breaking down on our road (we lived at the end of a dead end dirt road in the middle of nowhere). He wanted to use the phone to call his brother. I told him I would call for him and to tell me the number. At that, he started yelling and cussing and kicked the door again.

I had my wife jerk the door open while I pointed the shotgun at the moron. He froze, just as I told him to. He complied completely, laying on the ground until the sheriffs deputy arrived, which was only 4 or 5 minutes once the dispatcher told him I had the fool at gunpoint.

He was wanted for breaking and entering and on a couple of drug warrants. I am sure he was trying to break in though he was not armed so I think he thought no one was home. We had been watching the movie with the lights off.

So, I never open my door after sundown and even during the day I am always armed when I answer the door.

I think your step father needs to re-evaluate his actions as far as answering the door. With the proliferation of cell phones, their cheap price and ease of use, it is rare to find someone who does not have one these days, so I would be suspicious of anyone asking to use my phone for any reason at any time of the day or night.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    With the proliferation of cell phones, their cheap price and ease of use, it is rare to find someone who does not have one these days, so I would be suspicious of anyone asking to use my phone for any reason at any time of the day or night.
    +1. I'd recommend showing your step-father this thread, too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links