2:30 am who could that be at the door? - Page 3

2:30 am who could that be at the door?

This is a discussion on 2:30 am who could that be at the door? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone knocked my door this past Friday night at around 1:30 am, it was a pizza delivery courtesy of one of the neighborhood kid prank ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2:30 am who could that be at the door?

Someone knocked my door this past Friday night at around 1:30 am, it was a pizza delivery courtesy of one of the neighborhood kid prank call. Anyways, I opened the door with a contingency plan in action. Trust is something I don't have.

VIP Member
    I have a metal security door with a dead bolt so yes, I open the main door. If someone wants to use the phone I tell them I will be glad to call someone for them (blocking my number first).
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Taken out of context, it may sound cruel, but it's been said here several times...and it makes sense to me.

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet!
    ret

ret,

Right out of the USMC Rules for Gunfighting

Rule 21: Be Polite; Be Professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet!

Rule 22: Be courteous to everyone; friendly to no one!

Words to Live By!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, this is sort of related...my new-ish pit bull woke me up around 2am this morning growling rather deeply at the wall next to my bedroom (made the floor vibrate). I figured she was just hearing a deer in the backyard or something so I took her out on the leash just to let her see it was nothing and come back in...little did I realize (but thankfully plan for anyway) that she was actually fixated on a rather drunk(clearly passed "tanked" a mile back) late teens/early 20's guy trying to get in through my basement door unsuccessfully(which is just below my bedroom window). I raised my 1911 and let the dog out about 6' on the least about 2 feet from him. Told him I was calling the cops and to move on unless he either wanted to be eaten by a pit bull or shot. Told him one or the other or both was going to happen unless he started walking...er uh stumbling. In his stupor I was able to recognize the mumblings of him thinking this was his friends house.

He had to be local as I'm in the middle of nowhere, but I didn't recognize him. So all in all my new pit has already proved her weight in gold. I was sound asleep until she woke me up. Some may chastise me for going out but this has been our typical routine earlier in the evenings. She hears a deer or sees it out the window and goes bonkers so I take her out and she realizes I'm not going to let her get it, so we go back in and she shuts up. This time it was a legit concern and she did her job. And now it's clear she knows the difference. She laid in front of the bedroom door the rest of the night in what appeared more or less guard mode.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I let the GSD answer the window on either side of the door. If people want to hang around while she's yelling at them, fine by me. I'm behind the window on the opposite side checking out who is there. The UPS, FEDEX, and USPS know to leave the packages by my garge door or on the front porch. Once in a great while they have to ring the bell if I have to sign, but I'll still answer the door with the GSD and my XD ready to go.

Better to be prepared than trying to play catch up if you're not!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

No way, no how am I opening my door at that hour. I would as many others did have my gun unseen in my hand. I will call 911 for them. Think about it, how many people do not have a cell phone these days? That excuse has been used so often to kill people it is hard to believe.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I would say that I wouldn't answer the door at that hour, but experience has taught me otherwise. In high school there was a loud knocking and person screaming for help at about 2:00 AM. I started to ignore it, but then decided I should check it out. (Was home alone, mother was a police officer and worked nights- I did grab the S&W 64 snubbie though) Turned out that a woman that lived a few houses down had been beaten by her husband. She managed to escape her home and came to mine because she had seen the police car out front in the past. About an hour later the PD found the guy a couple blocks away looking for her. If I wouldn't have opened the door it could have been a much worse night for the woman.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    my wife and I have a system. If someone knocks on the door...she opens the door with the 70lb German Shepard between her and the door.
    I'm in the hallway right by the door, 1911 in hand waiting to hear what happens. She knows what to say and/or do in order to give me a clean line of fire.
    If I'm alone and it's late the 1911 is in hand, behind my leg.
    If SHES alone...the door doesn't get opened and her G19 is in a drawer right where she can get to it.

If it's during the day (I work from home) I answer the door open carrying. I've scared off a couple of salesmen this way, I've had 2 LEOs show up...around 1 1/2 hours after the home alarm was tripped accidentally and the security company never called us. one female LEO said...I with they'd let US carry 1911s instead of the plastic fantastics :-)

it seems to work for me
    If I may ask, what do you do to work from home? I'm looking hard at doing something like that. Are you successful? Thanks.

It is amazing what the sound of racking a round into a shotgun will do just before you ask who it is.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RU98A View Post
    It is amazing what the sound of racking a round into a shotgun will do just before you ask who it is.

Yeah but everytime I do that, there's nobody there!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would peak out the windows near the door. Unless I saw someone badly beaten there is NO way I would open the door. If I did open it, I would be armed and suspicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yeah but everytime I do that, there's nobody there!
    Works its little magic doesn't it? Makes the person disappear.

Too many years ago I answered the door at oh-something-thirty to find a uniformed LEO accompanying a young (inebriated) man who apparently told the officer that my apartment was his own.

Seems he had no key, no ID, and no clue what to do when the police asked why he was wandering around in the dark.

Yes, I had a a revolver in hand (pointed down); yes, it was loaded; no, the officer didn't ask why I was holding it -- but did seem relieved that the well-lubricated fellow was not going to be spending the night in my room near a loaded gun.

Alot of good TTPs here... thanks for all the contributions.

Ruger SP101 with .357 magnum hollow points goes with me to explore "bumps in the night". Better safe than suckered.

(You guys are making me miss the old 870 already... traded her Saturday on my first carry weapon, XD-40.)
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Many, many years ago I was driving home from work at about 3:30 AM. I was out in the country nearing our small town when I noticed about a dozen milk cows milling about in the middle of the road. I knew who they belonged to, so I turned around and drove up into the farmyard. I parked under the yard light about 50 ft away from the house and honked the horn several times until I saw the porch light come on and the door opened...then I got out of my car and told the farmer what the problem was. No way I'm banging on some farmer's door at 3:30 AM, everybody knows there's a shotgun leaning in the corner of the kitchen in our neck of the woods.

Btw, he gave me $20 for helping round up his stock in the middle of the night, and he always made a great reference whenever I was looking for a job!

Present day, I'm always armed and answer the door with caution in mind. Day or night. We have 3 small windows in our front door and a motion light on the porch, so I can see whoever's standing outside.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links