2:30 am who could that be at the door?

This is a discussion on 2:30 am who could that be at the door? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's amazing how many people have similar scenarios. About four years ago, the doorbell woke me up at a little after midnight. I do like ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2:30 am who could that be at the door?

It's amazing how many people have similar scenarios.

About four years ago, the doorbell woke me up at a little after midnight. I do like every other redblooded South Carolinian, I answer the door in my t-shirt and boxers with my G23 in my hand.

I put my foot against the door, peaked out of the window beside the door, and saw three cops there, then I saw the blue lights reflecting off the wall.

A little shaken by the uniforms and lights at my front door, I opened the door, completely forgetting at that point that I was holding my pistol in my strong hand. All three officers immediately look down at my Glock then back up at me. I said "Excuse me" and sat it on the table by the door. Nothing else said about it.

Apparently, my neighbor had a party that night for his daughter's 10th birthday. Once all the kids went to bed, the adults brought out the liquor and beer (my kind of birthday party, I might add). A cousin brought his roommate and the two got into an argument over rent or something and the roommate went to the car, retrieved his 9mm and started chasing the guy around the yard shooting at him. Shot 8 or 9 times, hit him twice in the stomach, then ran (all the way back to Vientman, I think).

Found two bullet holes in my privacy fence and one in my doghouse. Good thing the dog likes sleeping under my shop instead.

I heard the shots, but thought the kids were shooting fireworks (I was a sleep, remember).

The victim survived but spent a good two weeks in the hospital.

My neighbor, who has always been a great neighbor, was very apologetic. I assured him that I didn't blame him for what happend or think badly of him for it.

It was something that could have happened to any of us.

I guess I'm also glad I didn't wind up face down on my porch in my boxers, too:)
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

2. Remove Ads

I answer the door gun in hand in plain sight cocked and ready.If it makes a neighbor uncomfortable they shouldnt knock at my door after dark.

Anyone who absolutely positively must speak with me after dark either knows my phone number already or can get it quickly. Every one of my neighbors; my close friends; my family; the police. Home invasions are entirely too popular a sport, around here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

^^ Exactly

The only way I would open the door to a stranger is if that stranger happened to be a police officer--and I would probably ask him to put his badge up to the peep hole. (Even then I would have my 642 with me in a pocket). The only people that dont have my number that I would consider opening the door for are my neighbors across the hall. I don't know the REALLY well, but he's a nice guy and helped me move furniture in my apartment before and I did the same for him. So, unless hes giving me the willies that night by the way he's acting then I would probably crack the door to see whats going on or even ask him through the door. (Would still be carrying).

do you trust people out that late

Hell No...

I live adjacent to a Highway, some one bangs on the door at 02:30 in the morning, the door is not going to be opened wide for them to just hop right into the house...

PM
    Preachertim

No way in the palce of eternal punishment I open the door at 0230! I figure ANYONE banging on my door after about 2100 is a threat! People up after 0000 hours are either cops or BG's and I need niether at my door at that hour!! Now, tell your family that opening a door at that hour can be deadly!!!!!

Many years ago, I was sleeping on the couch at an old girlfriend's house (her elderly dad was home). I woke up to her screaming in her bedroom at about 3 AM. Before I even had a conscious thought, I found my .357 in my hand and was scanning for targets. She had seen a face in her window. The couch I was on was by a large window and easily visible from outside when her dad turned the light on. Best guess is that the perp, who probably thought an old man with an eligible daughter would be easy targets, saw my large dissuader through the window when the lights came on and did a magical disappearing act. Probably didn't count on an armed and ready boyfriend that night. He never came back during the time that I dated her.

For a number of years now, my M1911 .45ACP has never left my side and is an integral part of my welcoming committee. Sometimes I wear a shirt over it at home, sometimes not. I have a peep hole in the door and front windows so have no need to open the door at odd hours. My wife knows the drill and will never open the door to a stranger or anyone who hasn't called ahead. This has been our policy for, well, a long time. Good thing, because...

A couple of years ago, two perps killed a neighbor a few blocks from my house. They sliced his throat on his doorstep. A few days later, the same two killed a family in Richmond. They were later caught and convicted of all those murders, plus another in DC. As if we needed it, that incident re-burned the necessity for preparation and prudence into my family's brains. This is a nice neighborhood, but bad stuff can and does happen anywhere.

God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I look through the peephole before opening the door anytime. I also have a cheapo security cam on each porch which I can view on the TV in our upstairs bedroom. Unless I knew the person I would NOT open the door after dark and would be armed when I asked what they wanted through the door.
    The closed circuit cameras were about $50 apiece. The worst part was running the wires through the attic! If I weren't so 'frugal' I could have bought wireless cams for just over twice the price.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Preachertim

No way in the palce of eternal punishment I open the door at 0230! I figure ANYONE banging on my door after about 2100 is a threat! People up after 0000 hours are either cops or BG's and I need niether at my door at that hour!!
    Great point, nothing good is stirring that late..

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    No way in the palce of eternal punishment I open the door at 0230! I figure ANYONE banging on my door after about 2100 is a threat! People up after 0000 hours are either cops or BG's and I need niether at my door at that hour!!
    Sounds like you need better neighbors. I've had folks show up at the door at all hours for legitimate reasons. Most are absolutely understanding when greeted by the sound of the shotgun slide racking and identify themselves right away. (The smart ones answer their door the same way.) After the nice fireman a few years back told me that the apartment building connected to ours was on fire, I always make sure to find out what they want before telling them to get lost.

Family members have had the same; fire department warning of an approaching brushfire at 4AM, and since we're getting ready to build a house just over the ridge from them, I'd expect it at some point just about every wildfire season. Fortunately, we're pretty well set up for firebreaks, but I still want to be notified.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I don't answer the door at 2:00 A.M.

The local police, who are about two blocks away from me (and I live in a small town), DO, however, check out everything that is reported to them at that hour...

Since it's beyond the scope of the thread, I won't get into it, but rest assured, and I think we all agree on this, actually forcing the door open at 2:00 A.M. to gain entry would yield a different response. Such activity would be terminated. With extreme prejudice.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I don't answer the door at 2:00 A.M.

The local police, who are about two blocks away from me (and I live in a small town), DO, however, check out everything that is reported to them at that hour...

Since it's beyond the scope of the thread, I won't get into it, but rest assured, and I think we all agree on this, actually forcing the door open at 2:00 A.M. to gain entry would yield a different response. Such activity would be terminated. With extreme prejudice.
    Not in my neighborhood... it takes ~ 40 minutes from my house to the Sheriff's office if the local LEO's are not in town... ~15-20 in the next town over...

I explained this to the county Sheriff as one of the reasons why I wanted my Alien Firearms License renewed...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links