2:30 am who could that be at the door?

This is a discussion on 2:30 am who could that be at the door? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While recently visiting SC the past few weeks a very akward scenario happened. The Whole family was asleep and somebody rang the door bell and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2:30 am who could that be at the door?

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

While recently visiting SC the past few weeks a very akward scenario happened. The Whole family was asleep and somebody rang the door bell and it woke me up. Before I could get to the door my Step Father had opened the Door and I walked up behind him to see what was happening. The Guy came around from around the house and said he needed the phone, my step dad went outside to him to give him the phone . Mean while I am standing in the Door with my pistol out of sight for a moment then I moved it from behind my back to my side where it became visible to the gentleman . At that moment it was different for the rest of the time Not sure of his intentions, not sure if bad guys ring the door bell but it was 2:30 in the morning. I called 911 and they sent an ambulance (great) . I say all that to ask this question ? same scenario as above but do you ever open your door that late. do you trust people out that late, The guy was suspicious looking but he could have had an accident or something, hit a deer etc.

I'm extrememly cautious (and armed) if I open the door that late. I think an intercom would be very valuable here.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Yeah, that is a little strange at 2:30 am, I would have been suspicious and armed. Not sure if I would have opened the door, maybe ask what was going on through the door or window maybe. Did you find out what the guy was doing there or what he said he was doing there anyway?

I would be extremely unlikely to open the door to a stranger that late. Especially since I live on the ghetto's doorstep. And yes, if I were to go to the door for a knock that late, I would be armed.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would have answered the door with my 1911 in plain sight. Obviously not pointed at the visitor, but out in the open just to make sure that we are all on the same page.

Come knocking on my door at 3am and you will be greeted appropriately.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

My 80 lb German Shepherd would let me know that someone was approaching the door long before they ring the doorbell. If they were up to no good I'm sure that they wouldn't hang around after hearing my dog going nuts. If they really needed help I would ask them what the problem was through a closed door with my Remington 12 Ga at the ready (G23 or Kahr P40 on the hip). Yes, if I am stirred in the night my jeans are always ready to be put on in a flash with a holster, spare mag and flashlight already where they should be.
    Last edited by NY27; July 15th, 2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I did not open the door my step father did, he thinks he s bullet proof.
    The guy said he hit a deer which he may have but the next morning the farmers fence was pretty tore up. I called 911 but they sent an ambulance, No need for that yet! oh by the way 20 yrs and I have never seen a deer in that area that was not on the hood or tail gate.

http://www.boston.com/news/daily/19/...sor_deaths.htm

It says their first attempt was on July 19 at a home on Goose Green Road in Vershire, Vt., near Chelsea. It says they had concealed knives and cut the phone line before Tulloch went to the door and knocked.

With Parker allegedly hiding, Tulloch allegedly told the person who came to the door his car had broken down and asked to use the telephone. The person refused to let him in and the two left, the indictment says.
    ================================================== =======================

I watched a program on these two; this guy was at home with his kid. Luckily he had a gun, I can't remember if he showed his firearm to the punk but I think he did. He had enough sense not to open the door, instead offered to make the call for him and the punk tried to talk his way in some more and then left. The guy said he stayed up all night holding the gun guarding the upstairs where his son was.

I wouldn't open the door to someone in the middle of the night.

Many years ago, as a lieutenant, I awoke at about a 1:30AM after hearing pounding on the front door. My hand was behind my leg when I answered the door. (Like this gentlemen, you are forced to guess what was back there. ) He immediately became apologetic, stammering that he had the wrong house, and left in a hurry.

Looking back, that wasn't the brightest idea. Lesson learned--I DO make sure I have a peephole in the front door. Ah--to be young and bulletproof again.

OTOH, I've been on the other side of that fence as well. Back in High School, a friend and I came upon a small grass fire late one Friday or Saturday night(probably about 11:30 or midnight). It wasn't huge, but it was enough to cause concern. We stopped at the nearest farmhouse and banged on the door until somebody answered. (Again, not the brightest of ideas. Hopefully, I'm getting smarter with age.) We told them to call the FD and went back to try to fight the fire. We were able to put almost all the flames out before we saw flashing lights in the distance. Not wanting to answer questions or be blamed for starting it, (we didn't--somebody using fireworks irresponsibly did) we hightailed it out of there. If we had thought we could handle it ourselves, we never would have stopped to have somebody call the FD. Something to think about...

I have always answered the door with weapon in hand. I do needle work so I put my hoop with work on it over my weapon.
    One time it was a highway partolman asking about the neighbors. When I saw who it was I put the "needlework" down. He never knew I had a weapon in hand.
    My dogs are excellent alarm systems. My hubby comes in all times of the day and night because of his job. Dogs let me know if it is him or a stranger. I still keep my weapon close either way. Dogs have different responses to different people.
    My motto, "You can never be too careful".
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I have a great view out my front window to the front door. If I don't know them, I don't open the door unless I have a weapon in hand. Both of my dogs (1 Doberman) when someone comes. I am frequently in the basement so I come out the garage door to answer the front door. That way I can surprise them from the side.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

my wife and I have a system. If someone knocks on the door...she opens the door with the 70lb German Shepard between her and the door.
    I'm in the hallway right by the door, 1911 in hand waiting to hear what happens. She knows what to say and/or do in order to give me a clean line of fire.
    If I'm alone and it's late the 1911 is in hand, behind my leg.
    If SHES alone...the door doesn't get opened and her G19 is in a drawer right where she can get to it.

If it's during the day (I work from home) I answer the door open carrying. I've scared off a couple of salesmen this way, I've had 2 LEOs show up...around 1 1/2 hours after the home alarm was tripped accidentally and the security company never called us. one female LEO said...I with they'd let US carry 1911s instead of the plastic fantastics :-)

it seems to work for me
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    http://www.boston.com/news/daily/19/...sor_deaths.htm

It says their first attempt was on July 19 at a home on Goose Green Road in Vershire, Vt., near Chelsea. It says they had concealed knives and cut the phone line before Tulloch went to the door and knocked.

With Parker allegedly hiding, Tulloch allegedly told the person who came to the door his car had broken down and asked to use the telephone. The person refused to let him in and the two left, the indictment says.
    ================================================== =======================

I watched a program on these two; this guy was at home with his kid. Luckily he had a gun, I can't remember if he showed his firearm to the punk but I think he did. He had enough sense not to open the door, instead offered to make the call for him and the punk tried to talk his way in some more and then left. The guy said he stayed up all night holding the gun guarding the upstairs where his son was.

I wouldn't open the door to someone in the middle of the night.

I've read this many, many times, and it always hits home for me.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_114475580

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    I say all that to ask this question ? same scenario as above but do you ever open your door that late.
    Regardless of the time of day:
    -I sneak to the door so the persons outside won't feel the vibration of my approach.
    -I observe the visitors through the spyhole.
    -If it's not a neighbor I recognize or uniformed delivery guy (like USPS, UPS, or FedeX), I don't respond.
    -If it's someone with a clipboard in hand and no uniform, I don't respond.

(I am armed if I open the door, since I'm always armed anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I've read this many, many times, and it always hits home for me.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_114475580
    Thnaks fo posting that, I was looking for a better detailed article the the one I posted but didn't see one.

The interview with the guy was just a chilling as the article.....just goes to show no place is truely safe, everyone has to keep themselves proected and alert.

He trusted his instincts and that of his dog, which alerted to the presence but didn't go to the door when he knocked. Years ago, my wife was walking with our dog, a 100 # Shepard/ Rottie mix, there was an (seemingly) empty car parked on the street by a vacant field where it had no business being parked. The dog stopped before they got close to the car and refused to continue, being he outweighed my wife she couldn't get him to go so she turned to head back home. Right after she did the car started up, turned around and drove off, she said the hairs on her arm stood up and swears to this day that the dog sensed something bad and that's why he would continue in that direction. I tend to agree with her, he was a great dog, freindly but didn't put up with any crap from people or other dogs- we had to put him down last year after 14 years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links