My first Raving anti-gun guy at work!

This is a discussion on My first Raving anti-gun guy at work! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I respect what you did,Packinnova.I try to ignore people that insult me or just want to argue,but you have to stand up for what you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Raving anti-gun guy at work!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I respect what you did,Packinnova.I try to ignore people that insult me or just want to argue,but you have to stand up for what you believe in this life.Our character is the only thing we truly own.I believe our modern society has become so "correct" that too often people shut up when they should speak up.I have been self employed most of my life,except for an 8 year period.I would and have walked off jobs for reasons of right and wrong.Yes,I lost money and much more,but at least I could look at myself in the mirror.

2. Remove Ads

I think you handled it with class guy. Don't let them bait you into an argument. Especially when they just want you to lose your temper so they can feel better about their illogical beliefs.

You took the high road. Good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    He clearly didn't like that analogy and had an argument for EVERYTHING. So I gave up before it ever got heated. I'd rather walk away losing a potential argument then to come out looking like a hot-headed "gun nut".
    It's very likely that the guy's position is rooted in FEAR. I mean, you laid out the logic for him, which any reasonable person can grasp and accept, and yet he rejected it. That tells me there's something at work here beyond an intellectual rejection of the pro-gun arguments. (Besides the fact that if it comes down to strict logic and reason, there are no valid intellectual rejections of the pro-gun position.)

It would be fun if you simply got dismissive of him by saying something like, "Look, logic is quite obviously lost on you since your reaction to guns is plainly rooted in fear, and an unwillingness to have the strength to control your own destiny. Have a good day."

OR, just say, "Have fun holding on to your beliefs; I hope they serve you well. But I'm happy doing what I do, you should be happy doing what you do. Do you really want me trying to convince you to see it my way? I'm not in the habit of bothering to try. Why should I care what you think about this subject, anyway?"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It's very likely that the guy's position is rooted in FEAR.
    Very accurate:
    http://www.jpfo.org/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

I think you should have gotten the hint when the guy became "werid" about your pocket knife. I believe you "took the bait". That type doesn't want a honest debate...they want to make points....THEIR points.
    Everyone makes their choices, but I am not sure I would have made that choice at my place of employment. Now you will have to endure more "jabs" from him and he will probably find others who believe the way he does.
    I believe my CCW is a private matter. I will discuss the subject, but I don't give away whether I am armed or unarmed.
    I know there are those in here that think you should try to encourage him to see logic, but just by the way the guy dragged you in...he won't see it. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time in further conversation with him about it. I really hope this nervous nelly doesn't try to address this with your employer. I see comments like "unsafe workplace" and "going postal" being bantered about. Good luck.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    The big bass would have never been caught if he would have kept his mouth shut. You just handed the jerk enough ammo to cost you your job. A huge mistake in my humble opinion.At least make them work harder next time before you shoot yourself in the foot..Chuck.
    Yeah I know...foot in mouth. Hindsight and all...I usually do keep it shut...For some reason I was just in a lull and answered truthfully without hesitation...bad bad bad.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    I ran into someone yesterday who, while not vocal about, seemed to have a definite anti-gun disposition herself.

I took my three youngest kids (8 y/o triplet boys) to the local library yesterday to borrow a few books. It's rained a lot the past 5-6 weeks here in E. Texas and they haven't been able to spend much time outside. The video games and TV are starting to wear thin, so we all decided to get some books to read. Anyway, the boys got two books each and I decided to pick-up a book on gunsmithing while there. Another adult and then my boys went through the check-out procedure (show your library card, they run it though a scanner and out you go) with no problem. The lady - in her late 50's or early 60's and the very model of what you probably imagine when someone say's "librarian" - smiled and said enjoy the books to everyone UNTIL she go to my book. She got this look of disapproval (like a teacher who'd just caught a student smoking in a school stairwell) and asked who's book it was. When I said it was mine, she asked for my card and ran it through the scanner. She then proceeded to "verify" my name, address, birthday and telephone number. She then made a point of reminding me that the book was due back at the library in two weeks and what the fine was for late returns. I said thank you and we left, but I got the definite impression she was trying to make a point about my book... it was about guns and gun repair, therefore I must own guns and she was making a point that she did not approve.

Oh well, at least she didn't go into a rant about the evils of firearms and how dangerous or irresponsible it is to have guns and kids in the same home (been there, heard that before).
    Sounds dangerous, the book could be used as a weapon, we better ban [i]some[/] books...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links