My first Raving anti-gun guy at work!

This is a discussion on My first Raving anti-gun guy at work! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh...Finally had a raving anti-gun lunatic response at work. So I had a package to open and happened to be in someone elses office. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Raving anti-gun guy at work!

My first Raving anti-gun guy at work!

Ugh...Finally had a raving anti-gun lunatic response at work. So I had a package to open and happened to be in someone elses office. I whipped out my trusty kershaw as usual and slit the evil, thick, plastic cover to get my box open. Of course the other guy in the office jokingly made a comment about whether or not they let me in with "that". I told him they have a choice and I have mine and he asked what that meant. I told him the day they tell me I can't carry my own pocket knife...I walk out the front door and go work for someone else. He responded with, you're probably one of those guys that carries a gun too huh? Yes, folks, without further restraint, I let it slip! YUP! was my response...Oh lordy I'm in it for sure now... Yeah I know, I didn't just step in it...I walked right up and jumped in with both feet!(unintentionally of course!)

His next response was: "well what if they don't let you carry your gun in here?". I told him it's the same thing. I walk. They can have their rules and that's fine...it's private property, but if they think they can force me to disarm all they get out of the deal is to lose a good, hard working employee. It ended up him trying to turn it into a debate, which I just wasn't going to allow any further. I tried making valid, logical points early on, but it was clear he was lost and did NOT want to be found. So all in all, it's been an interesting morning.

Btw...part of my logic consisted of going over the concept of tool availability. I told him it's like education. You go to school and each class you learn is like a tool that you add to your bag. You might not ever actually use every tool in the bag (otherwise known as your brain), but just in case...you took the class and it's up there in that melon in case you need it. He clearly didn't like that analogy and had an argument for EVERYTHING. So I gave up before it ever got heated. I'd rather walk away losing a potential argument then to come out looking like a hot-headed "gun nut".
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

sorry to hear that........ I have had a few discussions like that in my store with friends and customers about me carrying in my store. sometime people are just plain weird and can not have the mental functionality to realize that no one person or group of people should tell him or her whether or not they can live or die, or even feel safer by being able to protect themselves.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "If all good things come to those that wait, how long before I get the best?" ---Me

http://www.nextlevelcellular.com/

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."
    - Mark Twain
    Chuck

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextlevelcell View Post
    sorry to hear that........ I have had a few discussions like that in my store with friends and customers about me carrying in my store. sometime people are just plain weird and can not have the mental functionality to realize that no one person or group of people should tell him or her whether or not they can live or die, or even feel safer by being able to protect themselves.
    In your own store, people were telling you you shouldn't carry? Wow, some people have a lot of nerve.

I ran into someone yesterday who, while not vocal about, seemed to have a definite anti-gun disposition herself.

I took my three youngest kids (8 y/o triplet boys) to the local library yesterday to borrow a few books. It's rained a lot the past 5-6 weeks here in E. Texas and they haven't been able to spend much time outside. The video games and TV are starting to wear thin, so we all decided to get some books to read. Anyway, the boys got two books each and I decided to pick-up a book on gunsmithing while there. Another adult and then my boys went through the check-out procedure (show your library card, they run it though a scanner and out you go) with no problem. The lady - in her late 50's or early 60's and the very model of what you probably imagine when someone say's "librarian" - smiled and said enjoy the books to everyone UNTIL she go to my book. She got this look of disapproval (like a teacher who'd just caught a student smoking in a school stairwell) and asked who's book it was. When I said it was mine, she asked for my card and ran it through the scanner. She then proceeded to "verify" my name, address, birthday and telephone number. She then made a point of reminding me that the book was due back at the library in two weeks and what the fine was for late returns. I said thank you and we left, but I got the definite impression she was trying to make a point about my book... it was about guns and gun repair, therefore I must own guns and she was making a point that she did not approve.

Oh well, at least she didn't go into a rant about the evils of firearms and how dangerous or irresponsible it is to have guns and kids in the same home (been there, heard that before).
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    In your own store, people were telling you you shouldn't carry? Wow, some people have a lot of nerve.
    i don't think they meant it as in to say I should not carry in my store, more of a shock that someone would put up a sign like that I guess. Like I said they were looking all around for something........ but then agian when that happened, there were to armed robberies like 2-3 miles away at another cellular phone store.......I guess the sign sorta works, since I put it up our attemped break ins at night have dropped drastically and no one has ever dared (knock on wood) to try and rob us, ever! and I would feel so bad if someone that did not have any sense, to try and come here and rob me!!!!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "If all good things come to those that wait, how long before I get the best?" ---Me

http://www.nextlevelcellular.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    I ran into someone yesterday who, while not vocal about, seemed to have a definite anti-gun disposition herself.

I took my three youngest kids (8 y/o triplet boys) to the local library yesterday to borrow a few books. It's rained a lot the past 5-6 weeks here in E. Texas and they haven't been able to spend much time outside. The video games and TV are starting to wear thin, so we all decided to get some books to read. Anyway, the boys got two books each and I decided to pick-up a book on gunsmithing while there. Another adult and then my boys went through the check-out procedure (show your library card, they run it though a scanner and out you go) with no problem. The lady - in her late 50's or early 60's and the very model of what you probably imagine when someone say's "librarian" - smiled and said enjoy the books to everyone UNTIL she go to my book. She got this look of disapproval (like a teacher who'd just caught a student smoking in a school stairwell) and asked who's book it was. When I said it was mine, she asked for my card and ran it through the scanner. She then proceeded to "verify" my name, address, birthday and telephone number. She then made a point of reminding me that the book was due back at the library in two weeks and what the fine was for late returns. I said thank you and we left, but I got the definite impression she was trying to make a point about my book... it was about guns and gun repair, therefore I must own guns and she was making a point that she did not approve.

Oh well, at least she didn't go into a rant about the evils of firearms and how dangerous or irresponsible it is to have guns and kids in the same home (been there, heard that before).
    Seems like she equated firearms and gun ownership with irresponsibility.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

You should have went over and picked out an etiquette book and said I thought you might like reading this one and just walked out with your smithing book
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Whether its at the range or the gun clubs or overseas in the military at the rod and gun clubs in Germany the friendliest people you ever wanted to meet and the most polite and inteligent congregate. We got along just fine and every one talked about shooting and guns and the technical aspects of shooting and sure some war stories. You know the difference between fairy tales and war stories. Fairy tales start off "Once upon a time.... war stories start off "You ain't gonna believe this s---t but..."
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

The big bass would have never been caught if he would have kept his mouth shut. You just handed the jerk enough ammo to cost you your job. A huge mistake in my humble opinion.At least make them work harder next time before you shoot yourself in the foot..Chuck.

Never argue with a moron,
    they will drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

...she asked for my card and ran it through the scanner. She then proceeded to "verify" my name, address, birthday and telephone number. She then made a point of reminding me that the book was due back at the library in two weeks and what the fine was for late returns.
    Could be that gun repair books don't get returned a lot of times. If so she might be just saving herself a few steps by getting as much info as she can ahead of time. She might just be an anti-gunsmith book thief. Then again, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Ugh... I had a package to open and happened to be in someone else’s office. I whipped out my trusty kershaw as usual and slit the evil, thick, plastic cover to get my box open.
    We ALL know that your kershaw is just a gateway to evil, a starter knife. Lord knows it will lead from a simple pocketknife to a fixed / sheath blade on up to a bayonet and next thing you know, you jump to the big leagues of samurai swords and finally the ultimate. . gasp. . . a portable Guillotine! Run, run away, . . be afraid, very afraid, . . save yourselves, the man has a pocketknife!!!!!!

To think he got excited about a pocket knife.

I know how that is. A lot of the people I work with are Anti-Carry and it gets debated quite a bit. The funny thing is that I am active duty military. You would think that a group of people that had to at least shoot an M-16 to be where they are now wouldn't get so crazy when guns are brought up in conversation. But I guess most of them aren't ant-gun, they don't mind that you have them(as long as you only have one or maybe two and it's for hunting) they just don't think you should be able to carry them on your person. I mean, why would you ever want to defend yourself???

It's sad when your in the military surrounded by:

In my mind it's ok if you let it slip and have a friendly debate about it. Good job on not letting it get heated and being professional about it!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Invite your co-worker to go shooting one evening. Tell him you are not going to argue with him or try to brainwash him. Actually tell him he probably will be a good shooter because he has no bad habits and he seems to be a very intelligent man. Pick-up the tab if he goes and see if he would like to do it again sometime.

Life is too short to argue with some folks. Go do good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links