Relocating

Relocating

This is a discussion on Relocating within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I will be moving from Tennessee to New Mexico in the near future and had a question regarding my permit. I currently have a ...

Thread: Relocating

Relocating

So I will be moving from Tennessee to New Mexico in the near future and had a question regarding my permit. I currently have a TN permit, but I am wondering about the status of that permit once I declare residency in NM? Will my TN permit become void (even though NM and TN have reciprocity) because I will no longer be a resident of TN? I plan to get a NM permit ASAP but am not sure if I can legally carry there until that point?

Thanks in advance
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

VIP Member
    BTDT. Your resident permit is void once you declare residency in another state. You will have to declare residency to apply for the NM permit so however long that takes you are out of luck. I have a non-resident permit that cover most of these eventualities for me.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking too, but was hoping for some piece of information that I did not know. Oh well.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Get a non-res permit from another state the NM honors before moving to NM.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    So I will be moving from Tennessee to New Mexico in the near future and had a question regarding my permit. I currently have a TN permit, but I am wondering about the status of that permit once I declare residency in NM? Will my TN permit become void (even though NM and TN have reciprocity) because I will no longer be a resident of TN? I plan to get a NM permit ASAP but am not sure if I can legally carry there until that point?

Thanks in advance
    Go Glock,

I just moved to NM and I am in process right now. I spoke with the folks with DPS CCW Division. You can transfer a license from certain states after 4 hours of additional training and qualification shoot, if you completed your training within the last twelve months. Otherwise, you will need to complete the required 15 hour course for new permits.

Your car is considered extended domain and you are fine to carry in your car. It's everywhere else that you are SOL.

PM me and I will provide numbers for the CCW Division and the contact info for the Renewal/Transfer training I just completed.

I moved from NM to Tenn several years ago, The state was very gun friendly- keeping with the "cowboy" immage. It isnt uncommon to see guys open carrying even in the city.

Sorry I dont have an answer on the legal status for transfer.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Links