Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing? - Page 3

Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

This is a discussion on Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine just says "Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms", form SP 4-129 (12-2003), Chris. Indeed that is what it says but back when I got mine ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

Assistant Administrator
    Mine just says "Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms", form SP 4-129 (12-2003), Chris.
    Indeed that is what it says but back when I got mine first I was given an info sheet and that, and somewhere on the statutes, it does make a point of saying that concealed is concealed. To the degree IIRC whereby a blatant careless flashing could (in theory) lead to a revocation.

Sorry I have no quote on hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Indeed that is what it says but back when I got mine first I was given an info sheet and that, and somewhere on the statutes, it does make a point of saying that concealed is concealed. To the degree IIRC whereby a blatant careless flashing could (in theory) lead to a revocation.

Sorry I have no quote on hand.
    I just got mine a couple of months ago here in Cumberland County, and they also gave me an info sheet with what I considered to be outdated amplifying information.

Regardless, I don't open carry (except around the house) for tactical and privacy reasons.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I think the point is we are creating or at the least perpetuating a self fulfilling prophecy.

If we don't talk about it
    If we don't educate people
    If people don't know we are exercising our God-given-right

then we are only serving our own wants and desires
    and
    alienating those that could be taught,
    While hastening the erosion of those rights.

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost." I would extend that to say a Unexpressed as well as Unexercised.

I'm not saying open carry if you don't want to, but if you keep it so secret that you lie to people or are ambiguous about it, you are doing nothing more than hurting the RKBA and using it while it happens to be around.

If you still have the right to Open Carry, do it every once in a while, make a statement.
    If your right to bear arms has been legislated away, talk about it, don't shy away from it.
    If you CC, talk about it, don't shy away from it. (talking about it here does not count, we know how you feel, its the people out there that need to hear it.)
    Keep your gun hidden, but not your beliefs.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

In Virginia it's legal to open carry - and I've done it occassionally - once because I didn't like to leave my gun in the truck where I was for fear of break in, and another time because I was in a pretty bad area and wanted the protection (I didn't have a CCW permit at that time). Most recently I open carried in a local mall - a very ritzy, very nice mall - a few people gave me a second glance when they noticed the gun on my hip, but nobody stopped me, nobody called mall security, and all the sales people were very friendly to me. You know why? Because most of them I'm convinced thought I was a cop. I'm not, but I do fit the "profile" - mid 30's, close cut hair, in decent shape - and I was also wearing cargo pants. In fact one sales lady asked me which department I was part of - she seemed suprised when I said I wasn't police. Of course in my area (just outside of DC) many people would then assume that you must be with a government agency. There is an orginization here in Virginia called the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It advocates gun rights and often holds get togethers where members open carry. Great group - stands up for our rights all the time!

There was a time when concealing a weapon was considered cowardly. Society as a whole, was more polite back then (I wonder why?)

Of course,back in that time people understood just what the 2nd amendment meant. That was then, this is now.

I live in a state where open carry is legal, and until this week that's what I did. In the area where I live, it's no big deal. I didn't try it in the cities I have to visit frequently. I think it would not have been a pleasant experience. I received my permit Monday, and will conceal most of the time, now. I'm not overly worried about it showing, though. It's legal.

I plan on carrying concealed but i'm not going out of the way to completely hide the gun. I doesn't bother me if someone can see the outline or even catch a glimpse of the bottom of it.

VIP Member
    Here in NC we have the issue of "going armed to the terror of the public" so even if you could otherwise be legal open carrying you could still have problems with the legal system if you open carry in cities and towns + other public places.
    So why chance it to be open carrying.

Open carry not legal here, too. Makes it an easy choice.

+2 P95.

I'm not the least bit ashamed of carrying.
    Concealed is the law where I live. I'd carry concealed even if it wasn't. I accept that some people are uncomfortable seeing guns.
    When it comes to discussing personal things, I believe less is more.

VIP Member
    I am not a bit ashamed of carrying a gun. I don't go telling people because no matter how much we try to educate people, there are going to be anti's that won't want to have anything to do with someone that packs a gun. I work for myself inside people's homes and if I walked in with a gun strapped to my side with their kids in there, I'd be out of a whole lot of work real fast. I carry one every day inside people's home concelaed and avoid all the hastles and loose no work. The fact is, alot of people just arent acceptance of it. Like someone else said, I don't want to be "the example".
    I also like the tactical advantage and keeping the BG"S guessing. Everyone benefits from that.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'll put my 2 cents in here, I conceal my sidearm because I don't want people to know it's there. It's my "ace in the hole" it doesn't do you as much good if everyone at the table knows you have it. If for the sake of argument we lived in a much more sane society where ALOT of people were walking around openly carrying, I would probably also carry a fullsize sidearm openly. But I would retain an ace in the hole and also have a backup mouse gun. There's my .02.

I just don't need the hassle from the anti's!
    Last edited by P95Carry; July 17th, 2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Please - no language workarounds. Edited.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I for one carry concealed not because I think it's a bad thing to carry in general and I want to hide the fact that I do, but because CC offers tactical advantages that open carry does not.
    1) Surprise. Gone over enough to warrant no further discussion here, I think.

2) Retention. I carry in an open-topped holster with no retention devices other than the friction/pressure of the design. My greatest retention feature is the fact that no one knows I have a gun. Otherwise, I would be very uncomfortable moving through crowds, et cetera, knowing that I am a quick grab away from being disarmed (and arming a BG).

So - I have no dog in the ideological open/concealed carry fight, but I don't open carry. As always, YMMV.

Well put.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I have to completely agree with the tactical advantage of the element of surprise. I see no need to advertise to the potential BG that I am armed. If he forces me to show him, I want it to be an unpleasant surprise.

Exactly !

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I agree to a point.

I open carry at home, but nowhere else. OC is legal in KY, but it is well known that you will be hassled by the POPO.

In public I prefer to be the sleeping lion. You don't know who I am or what I have. Tactical advantage plain and simple.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links