Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

This is a discussion on Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry concealed because I'm a small female and frankly I'm getting too old to go HTH with some young pup that decides he wants ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

I carry concealed because I'm a small female and frankly I'm getting too old to go HTH with some young pup that decides he wants my weapon. Embarrassed, not in the least. I do my best to encourage others to be proactive in their own defense. I frequently extend range invitations to folks who show interest. But at the same time I don't broadcast my armed status because I'm more concerned that if a situation arose some brain child might volunteer that I'm armed and escalate a bad situation.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Actually Indiana was the first "shall issue" state in 1980. Florida was the most populous state to pass such legislation in 1987 and the NRA got involved in this one giving it more attention.

In Virginia a fixed blade knife of any length concealed is illegal and must be carried openly. Also so far as I know OC is the law in VA whether you are a resident or not. VA also happens to have a shall issue permit system for concealed carry and pretty good reciprocity if you prefer CC.
    Yeah its fully legal,but when LEOs stop you and tell you to put it away

I might try open carry with my new Fobus RU97 after I get my permit...

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

In Colorado it is legal to open carry, and conceal by permit. So go figure if your weapon is suddenly visible by the sheep you can get in deep trouble.

I don't hiding the fact I carry but I don't broadcast it either. For me surprising the BG is my plan if it where to happen.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Don't have much to add that hasn't been said. I feel that CC does have several tactical advantages over OC. There's less chance of a "gun grab." If the bad guy doesn't know you are carrying, there's less chance you'll have to fight to retain your weapon. This is especially important for those who are going to have problems in the h2h arena because of physical constraints (or because they feel that their gun is the answer to all their deadly force needs )

You also have the element of surprise on your side rather than letting the bad guy surprise you. Think about it, if he sees your weapon, is he going to give you the chance to use it or is he going to ambush you... As has been stated, the "deterent factor" is only going to work if you are the type of person they wouldn't mess with even if you were un-armed. It's your body-language and bearing that will deter a threat, not the hog-leg on your hip.

Another reason is that with your weapon concealed, you have the option to involve yourself in a situation or not. With OC, if the bad guy sees your weapon, you're probably involved whether you want to be or not (this applies more to "third party" situations rather than times when you are the target).

I understand that some are not able to carry concealed due to specific laws in your locale or because of job requirements. If that is the case, OC is better than nothing. However, I feel that if you have the ability to make a choice, it is foolish to choose OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I might try open carry with my new Fobus RU97 after I get my permit...
    Might want to rethink that...Fobus holsters are crap (do a google search for Fobus+gun grab and see what comes up, there's some interesting videos floating around out there).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Another thread here with three cases where OC was fun in VA. There will be lawsuits of course.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=29301

There are others. A guy up in my neck o'VA was ambushed and his gun taken while he was OCing. In my county the BGs knew a farmer always carried. So they went to his house and got his rifle and killed him while he was in the field working and took his handgun.

There's another report of a VCDL director OCing in a bank and a robber came in and left. Credit the big 1911 visible for deterrent.

I do both, but CC more than OC. OC is really just a convenience for me or when I'm just to lazy to CC. In VA we have the option of either and if you are CCing and end up with your gun showing no worries, it was just a transition to OC.

I know some Rosa Parks types. They have a monthly dinner somewhere in VA OCing because of what we call the restaurant ban. Can't CC where alcohol is served for consumption on premises, but OC is legal. Anyway, not my thing. I have security clearances and other considerations and shouldn't be out trying to get arrested. Legal or not it is still an arrest and I don't have the free time or vacation time to spend getting it all straightened out.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I do believe the unfortunate events that took place in Norfolk has summed up why CC has advantages over OC. As I've said before, I myself CC more than OC for the same reasons, and am currently looking at deeper concealment options as all of my holsters are OWB and they tend to print a bit. In a couple weeks I plan to purchase the C-TAC holster directly from Comp Tac's website for my Glock 19.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I, too, want that "surprise" advantage if confronted by a BG. Also, to be realistic, it's just asking for trouble to open carry extensively - see all the posts about being hassled by the LEOs or other citizens...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Administrator
    I always carry concealed (sometimes when I'm at work I open carry but, I'm usually the only person there)

To be totally fair concerning open carry in a classroom...a thoughtful person COULD ask the question - IF many students in a school environment or a class were openly carrying...then would a deranged "School Shooter" pick that location to go on a shooting rampage in the first place?

But, then again he might opt to select a "safer place" to do a shooting massacre like a Kindergarten school filled with little kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Addition:
    In Pittsburgh Open Carry is technically legal but, nobody does it.
    In other words you get your license to carry and folks carry concealed on that L.T.C.
    There IS a reason for that and that is because the firearm laws are goofed up.
    On the local level the Police are required and mandated by local law to respond to (and to investigate) all "Man With A Gun" calls.
    So if a citizen carries "OPEN" and somebody does 911 call on it you are likely going to be detained and questioned.
    The Police are between a rock and a hard place concerning open carry in PGH.
    You're LEGAL to "Open Carry" but, the Police are going to want to know who you are.
    It's a screwy situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    I think the point is we are creating or at the least perpetuating a self fulfilling prophecy.

If we don't talk about it
    If we don't educate people
    If people don't know we are exercising our God-given-right

then we are only serving our own wants and desires
    and
    alienating those that could be taught,
    While hastening the erosion of those rights.

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost." I would extend that to say a Unexpressed as well as Unexercised.

I'm not saying open carry if you don't want to, but if you keep it so secret that you lie to people or are ambiguous about it, you are doing nothing more than hurting the RKBA and using it while it happens to be around.

If you still have the right to Open Carry, do it every once in a while, make a statement.
    If your right to bear arms has been legislated away, talk about it, don't shy away from it.
    If you CC, talk about it, don't shy away from it. (talking about it here does not count, we know how you feel, its the people out there that need to hear it.)
    Keep your gun hidden, but not your beliefs.
    +1

Not trying to flame here but it does seem that people advocating open carry seem to be more tolerant than those advocating only concealed carry.

The tone of some of the "concealed only" comments seem to imply that open carry people are looking for trouble, trying to prove a point or are just plain stupid. The only point I am trying to prove when carrying openly is to let the sheeple see that decent, respectable people carry guns. How else will they learn that?

I easily concede the point that concealed carry is tactically better, but I really believe that in the areas where both are legal, we NEED both.

I know of at least four people who now have concealed carry permits and carry a firearm because they saw my openly carried gun and asked questions about it.

Is that worth some risk. YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have stated before that due to tactical concerns, I only carry openly when I have other armed friends with me, but I have open carried where I was the only one carrying openly and have never had a problem.

Maybe we should change our discussion to the First Amendment. "Just because you have the right to free speech, doesn't mean you have to exercise it". Sounds kinda stupid in that context doesn't it.

I applaude both the open carriers and concealed carries (I belong to both camps), but I am confused by the way some of us refuse to see ANY advantage in the other person's position.

My preference: carry open or carry concealed; but carry!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Maybe we should change our discussion to the First Amendment. "Just because you have the right to free speech, doesn't mean you have to exercise it". Sounds kinda stupid in that context doesn't it.
    No, not really. I don't tell everything I know. I don't say everything I think. I don't waste time arguing with idiots. It's not always wise or in my best interest to express myself at certain times in certain places.

I'm glad to have the right to but that doesn't mean I've got to run my mouth everyplace I go.

A guy cuts me off in traffic I guess I've got the "right" to pull up beside him and tell him what I think of his driving skills....but I don't. It's not worth it.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    A guy cuts me off in traffic I guess I've got the "right" to pull up beside him and tell him what I think of his driving skills....but I don't. It's not worth it.
    This just proves my point. You are comparing the lawful carrying of a firearm with an irresponsible act.

I believe the way a person conducts himself while carrying a gun is the determininate of whether he is responsible or not.

My point is that it seems too many "concealed carry only" people want to treat open carriers as irresponsible trouble makers.

By this reasoning, I should never have open carried and to heck with the four people who now carry because of it.

I can see why this is such a touchy subject and I guess that we will just need to agree to disagree.

I will bow out of this discussion now and continue to carry both openly and concealed.

Just stay safe out there.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I conceal for advantage, not any other reason.

+1 on the FL reasons...but even if it were legal, I would still conceal...my choice for attaining the advantage...and fewer concerned 'looks'...
    For me if open carry WERE allowed here in FL, it would only mean that the wind blowing my shirt open would not make is such a big 'no-no'...

Stay armed...stay concealed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ya know why I carry concealed, it's to give me an advantage if I ever need the firearm.

By CCWing I have stealth, suprise and violence of action if I'm ever called to use my weapon.

If you are open carrying you fail to have any of the above and start out way behind the power curve.

There is no such thing as a "fair" fight and I use anything and everything to my advantage as I plan on going home at the end of the day.

To answer the original post...

I carry concealed for three reasons, all equally important to me.

1. One of the reasons the original poster mentioned.

"Why do we as a whole choose to conceal, is it because we fear the unarmed/uneducated folks would freak out if they knew we were packing heat, and have the police called? It seems to me our society has gotten way too well.... I don't know what word to put in there, but you get what I'm saying."

I don't want to be noticed when I am out and about. I like to blend into the woodwork, fly under the radar, etc. I'm a private person and I want to left alone. I purposely dress and groom myself so I don't stand out - I purposely don't "make a statement". I don't wear clothing with words or logos or clothing that has bright colors or anything that attracts attention. I'm not a fugitive or anything like that, I just like to be left alone.

I don't want to explain why I'm carrying. I don't think it's my responsibility to educate the masses on 2A or any other subject. If certain subjects come up in normal conversation I'll give my opinion, but I don't go looking for opportunities and certainly don't try to start a dialog.

Open carry would be like a flashing neon sign and quickly make people take notice - exactly what I don't want!

2. I want the advantage of surprise if I need to become defensive.

3. I don't want to be "the guy to take out first" in a bad situation.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links