Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing? - Page 7

Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

This is a discussion on Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post on this forum but I have posted extensively elsewhere. Now that thats is over: Open carry makes me a target ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

Wisdom of Concealed Carry

This is my first post on this forum but I have posted extensively elsewhere. Now that thats is over:

Open carry makes me a target to any BG in my vicinity.
    Concealed carry helps me remain anonymous and safe.

Open carry not only makes others nervous, it makes me nervous because I'm always looking over my shoulder checking the public's response to my gun.
    Concealed carry makes everyone (including me) more comfortable.

Wink Hmmmmm A classic Definition....

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post
    By CCWing I have stealth, suprise and violence of action if I'm ever called to use my weapon. There is no such thing as a "fair" fight and I use anything and everything to my advantage as I plan on going home at the end of the day.
    I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure that your quote in BOLD above is the TEXTBOOK US Army definition for an ambush! I like the way you think.

I remember my instructors at the Infantry Officer Basic Course at Fort Benning (sooooo long ago) used to make us stand at attention in a classroom and scream at the top of our lungs:
    Ambush is MURDER and MURDER is FUN! Wow, what a way to motivate the troops.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior55 View Post
    This is my first post on this forum but I have posted extensively elsewhere. Now that thats is over:

Open carry makes me a target to any BG in my vicinity.
    Concealed carry helps me remain anonymous and safe.

Open carry not only makes others nervous, it makes me nervous because I'm always looking over my shoulder checking the public's response to my gun.
    Concealed carry makes everyone (including me) more comfortable.
    Welcome to the forum! I like the way you think. Mirrors my own sense of survival and caution.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I carry concealed because like many others have expressed, I do not want to give up a sound tactical advantage even if I was allowed to carry openly. I have read many a time that BGs target armed security officers first because they are visibly carrying a gun and the same for LEOs. Wild Bill Hickok dies in an ambush because the killer knew he was packing and was a damn good shot.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I OC at home & where required by law. In Va we have to OC in restaurants with booze in them.

As to WHY I don't OC..............I'm scared of the hassle!
    I don't want to scare the le. No other reason. I'm not really concerned by the 'tactical advantage' of concealed carry. If a BG picks me for a victim, it's my fault for appearing as one.

For everyday situations where a BG may be involved, OPEN CARRY is probably a better idea. I'm not worried that an openly carried firearm will make me a target of a BG. If a BG sees my weapon & is stupid enough to try to take......Doom on you! I feel I'm more of a target with concealed carry than open carry. Look at from a BGs point of view: I see an unarmed & another one wearing a gun...WHICH ONE IS THE LIKELY VICTIM & WHICH IS A THREAT? Don't believe me? What is YOUR first reaction when you see a person open carrying? Your 1st thought is..."I wonder if he is a LEO?".............Don't you think a BG thinks the same thing? BGs NOT thinking "Oh boy , another victim!".

For all the people who worry about a BG seeing your weapon & trying to get it....Name for me ONE incident of this occurring! Don't say it happens to uniformed LEOs, because it only happens to them when they are already engaged with a BG who is up to some other nefarious deed. BGs don't run up to LEOs on the street & try to take their weapons. Likewise it does not happen to OC people either.

Concealed carry is to NOT be noticed, to blend in with the other . Makes life simpler........but it DOES NOTHING TO FURTHER OUR RIGHTS!!!!!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I do believe this thread has been beaten to death. I give moderator permission to put a lock on this one.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I for one carry concealed not because I think it's a bad thing to carry in general and I want to hide the fact that I do, but because CC offers tactical advantages that open carry does not. (For what it's worth, as a federal LEO I could open carry wherever I felt like it...)

1) Surprise. Gone over enough to warrant no further discussion here, I think.

2) Retention. I carry in an open-topped holster with no retention devices other than the friction/pressure of the design. My greatest retention feature is the fact that no one knows I have a gun. Otherwise, I would be very uncomfortable moving through crowds, et cetera, knowing that I am a quick grab away from being disarmed (and arming a BG).

So - I have no dog in the ideological open/concealed carry fight, but I don't open carry. As always, YMMV.
    +1. that just saved me a lot of typing.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I OC at home & where required by law. In Va we have to OC in restaurants with booze in them.

As to WHY I don't OC..............I'm scared of the hassle!
    I don't want to scare the le. No other reason. I'm not really concerned by the 'tactical advantage' of concealed carry. If a BG picks me for a victim, it's my fault for appearing as one.

For everyday situations where a BG may be involved, OPEN CARRY is probably a better idea. I'm not worried that an openly carried firearm will make me a target of a BG. If a BG sees my weapon & is stupid enough to try to take......Doom on you! I feel I'm more of a target with concealed carry than open carry. Look at from a BGs point of view: I see an unarmed & another one wearing a gun...WHICH ONE IS THE LIKELY VICTIM & WHICH IS A THREAT? Don't believe me? What is YOUR first reaction when you see a person open carrying? Your 1st thought is..."I wonder if he is a LEO?".............Don't you think a BG thinks the same thing? BGs NOT thinking "Oh boy , another victim!".

For all the people who worry about a BG seeing your weapon & trying to get it....Name for me ONE incident of this occurring! Don't say it happens to uniformed LEOs, because it only happens to them when they are already engaged with a BG who is up to some other nefarious deed. BGs don't run up to LEOs on the street & try to take their weapons. Likewise it does not happen to OC people either.

Concealed carry is to NOT be noticed, to blend in with the other . Makes life simpler........but it DOES NOTHING TO FURTHER OUR RIGHTS!!!!!
    I don't disagree, for the most part. However, there are literally millions of incidences of people having wallets, purses, cell phones, and all manner of other items pick-pocketed from them. If as many people open carried as carry a wallet, I think we might see some of guns stolen. Then there is the (admittedly very rare) instance of the dedicated BG taking out the armed threat first in order to commit his crime (think bank robbery or "rampage" style shooting.) And while I think that a displayed weapon will in most cases cause you to be de-selected as a victim, if the BG is serious enough to go after you knowing you are armed, then you will probably be way behind the power curve and in a world of hurt.

One other thing that applies to only very few of us - I do a lot of armed protection. While it's fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that I am "on the job" on those occasions, I don't want to advertise to any would-be assassin that I'm a threat. Just a few (minor) points to ponder...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

A lot of posts here... I'll just say that I pretty much agree with OPFOR, Exsoldier, and TJ.

I do feel if a hardened thug is going to attack an OC person, it won't be to try and steal your gun in a gun grab... I think he'll just approach you and shoot you outright! Then see what goodies you have!

Those kind of attacks are pretty hard to guard against unless you live in condition orange or red at all times, and that causes burn out in fairly short order.

I'm all for concealed always and trying my best to not look like a victim. If I'm still attacked, I'm pretty certain it will be because they "believe" I am unarmed. Then won't they be surprised!

I know there is definitely a big "tactical advantage" to keeping it concealed, and it definitely keeps the from stampeding.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I feel that the gentleman kicked out of Barnes and Noble points out the benifit of carrying concealed. Like I said in that thread....What they don't know won't hurt them....or you. It helps avoid public hysteria from the people who believe anyone with a weapon is a potential danger to them.

I also agree with Bark'n one his opinion.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I do believe this thread has been beaten to death. I give moderator permission to put a lock on this one.
    This topic was beaten to death 2 years ago but yet people keep opening it up

this one has been civil and is going to be left open untill it turns other wise

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I feel that the gentleman kicked out of Barnes and Noble points out the benifit of carrying concealed.
    OC'ing on "Harry Potter night" seemed like an unwise decision to me (JMO). I see open carry as a personal preference, though. I carried that way until getting my permit with no trouble.

It was seeing someone carrying openly that made me aware the law had changed in my state (KY) while I was away for 17 years (living in Illinois). I began carrying the following week. The main reason I conceal is that I prefer holsters without a thumb break. It makes more sense to conceal for retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    This topic was beaten to death 2 years ago but yet people keep opening it up
    The folks from 2yrs ago aren't the ones discussing it now. All "dead horses" are not the same.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The folks from 2yrs ago aren't the ones discussing it now. All "dead horses" are not the same.
    Which is why all three OC v CC threads are still running for now.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I read part of the thread, but not all of it so I may be echoing what someone else said.

1. Open carry is illegal here.

2. I wouldn't open carry if I could. Well, I guess that depends on where I lived but in some places I don't think open carry would last long. It would be like a gun delivery service for the crooks. They would only have to come up behind you, crack you with a pipe and they have a free gun. No more need to buy it on the street or do burglaries for it. That's just one scenario, but there are tons of ways it could be done as they KNOW you have a gun and you don't know who is after it.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links