Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

This is a discussion on Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I've been reading various posts on this forum and other gun related forums around the net, and the vast majority of people who actively ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we as a whole choose to conceal like its a bad thing?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Okay, I've been reading various posts on this forum and other gun related forums around the net, and the vast majority of people who actively carry for the protection of themselves and their families, prefer concealed carry over any other method of carry. Also the people who choose to open carry often times get bashed for admitting that they've open carried. Now I can see some advantages to concealed carry, and those advantages have been discussed time and time again, so I'm not gonna go over them again, you all know what I'm talking about.

But let me get to my point. Why do we as a whole choose to conceal, is it because we fear the unarmed/uneducated folks would freak out if they knew we were packing heat, and have the police called? It seems to me our society has gotten way too well.... I don't know what word to put in there, but you get what I'm saying. This is not a thread about open carry vs. concealed carry, I'm just wondering why we choose to bother to go out and buy cover garments, various holsters, and small guns that are easily concealed.

It's almost like we're ashamed of being able to defend ourselves, and we care about what others will think, say, and do if they find out someone has a gun in a holster, who happens to be acting no differently from any other person that does not have bad intentions. I also notice that many people who carry worry about their guns being accidentally exposed, and they do everything in their power to keep it covered. I know its the law in a couple states that you must have it covered at all times, or its considered "brandishing." I personally could care less if my gun is exposed by accident, but I also live in a state where just about any method of carry is perfectly legal.

Sorry for the long post, I work night shift, and I haven't been to bed yet. My mind tends to stretch far when I'm tired.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Assistant Administrator
    Bottom line is - for most of us ..... we have a concealed carry permit. In PA and also in other states, this behoves holders to remain concealed. I do open carry in and around home and a few other places but these are not public places. Sad to say discretion works better these days and overall I do not mind keeping my armed status hidden.

This is not a thread about open carry vs. concealed carry
    It probably will be!!! I hope we do not go the usual route tho as it is usually a recipe for bunching of underwear
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yes, it is a sad state that we are the ones that have to adjust and conceal but that is what happens when a biased media pounds their opinions for many many years. A good example of this is how the media tells people to react when confronted with a robber: "Just cooperate and give them everything they want." Because of the repetition, people believe this will keep them safe

The real problem is that the majority of people are uneducated about the subject, don’t choose to research and discover the truth for themselves, and believe the first thing they hear…which happens to be the medias loud and vast voice
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

VIP Member
    I for one carry concealed not because I think it's a bad thing to carry in general and I want to hide the fact that I do, but because CC offers tactical advantages that open carry does not. (For what it's worth, as a federal LEO I could open carry wherever I felt like it...)

1) Surprise. Gone over enough to warrant no further discussion here, I think.

2) Retention. I carry in an open-topped holster with no retention devices other than the friction/pressure of the design. My greatest retention feature is the fact that no one knows I have a gun. Otherwise, I would be very uncomfortable moving through crowds, et cetera, knowing that I am a quick grab away from being disarmed (and arming a BG).

So - I have no dog in the ideological open/concealed carry fight, but I don't open carry. As always, YMMV.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Why do we as a whole choose to conceal, is it because we fear the unarmed/uneducated folks would freak out if they knew we were packing heat, and have the police called?
    I can't answer for everyone, just for myself. It's the path of least resistance. There are endless debates about the tactics of concealed versus open carry. If a good fraction of of the population carried openly, I would join in. Concealed avoids potential hassles with LEOs, and with relatives I have who are anti-2A.

I fully understand zealots who promote open carry as a political exercise, even sympathize with them, but I am not motivated to save the world, just my microscopic part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

It probably will be!!! I hope we do not go the usual route tho as it is usually a recipe for bunching of underwear
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I get what you guys are saying, but it just makes me well... I dunno how to say it, but its almost like we're scared of the media, and we hide our guns to blend in with the rest of society. How are we supposed to educate the public if we continue to hide among the defenseless? I notice some people on here wouldn't tell a single person that they're packing heat, like they're ashamed of being able to protect themselves. Sure you may or may not get some negative responses, but we all know various responses to negative feedback for carrying loaded guns like "for the same reason we carry spare tires in our trunks." Or even the fire extinguisher analogy. I think the more we let the public know that there is in fact good in this world, even with guns around, the less they'll freak out when they see someone dressed in civilian clothes, and who may accidentally expose his/her gun. Perhaps this is an OC vs CC thread, my mind isn't all here right now.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Yeah, you give up a bit of tactical advantage. It depends on where I'm at whether that matters ot me or not. Some don't tell a soul, I've no problem with most of my aquaintances knowing. My brother doesn't know. I don't believe he'd ever hurt me or my family, but I don't want his dope addict self to try to steal my guns for sale or use. Other than family, I don't associate with shady characters.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    I live in Florida, where open carry in public = getting arrested.

Simple decision, really.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I think you might be missing an extremely important point: Even if I could I would not open carry under any circumstances except one:

For me no open carry is for tactical reasons. I don't want a bad guy to target me for my weapon. Once he knows I'm armed, he can if he chooses go for the ambush where he would have the clear advantage, especially in a crowd.

The single exception for me is when I'm in the woods. On those rare occasions when I range afield, hunting or just plain enjoying the woods, I'll open carry for comfort. Because when I'm in the woods, I get to choose who I desire to "meet" or not. I don't seek out human contacts in the woods unless I know them and we are keeping a prearranged meeting. Even then, there will be certain security precautions taken by both parties. That's just a holdover habit from the army.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Interesting question…

I do think it's an over-generalization to say "we conceal like it's a bad thing".

If everyone on the planet open carried I would still probably conceal my weapon. I don’t like to advertise everything about myself to strangers or even to some friends. I do like the element of surprise! Sometimes I conceal my eyes by wearing dark glasses too.

I guess I just like my privacy.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I get what you guys are saying, but it just makes me well... I dunno how to say it, but its almost like we're scared of the media, and we hide our guns to blend in with the rest of society. How are we supposed to educate the public if we continue to hide among the defenseless? I notice some people on here wouldn't tell a single person that they're packing heat, like they're ashamed of being able to protect themselves. Sure you may or may not get some negative responses, but we all know various responses to negative feedback for carrying loaded guns like "for the same reason we carry spare tires in our trunks." Or even the fire extinguisher analogy. I think the more we let the public know that there is in fact good in this world, even with guns around, the less they'll freak out when they see someone dressed in civilian clothes, and who may accidentally expose his/her gun. Perhaps this is an OC vs CC thread, my mind isn't all here right now.

I think people don’t want to be the experiment; they don’t want to sacrifice what they have built to make a bold statement. Though, I believe most if not all permit holders would gladly follow a leader brave enough to voice a movement.

Modern society is ravished with liability…we have scheming lawyers and lazy people, who can’t earn an honest dollar, to thank for that one. Oh and don’t leave out politicians, who do a whole lot of talking with virtually no logical actions.
    (for now)

Sponsor
    In a nut shell:
    Open carry can be restricted by local munies in Ohio. Concealed carry cannot.
    Concealed carry gives a tactical advantage.
    Concealed carry doesn't scare the sheeple
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Roosevelt
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Col. David Grossman
    There are 3 kinds of people. Sheep, wolves and sheepdogs
    If the wolves can't tell the sheep from the sheepdogs then I may not have to bite to protect the sheep.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Because ccw is a personal choice and lifestyle, we don't like to wear it out on a sleeve.

trust

For me, the issue kind of boils down to trust. I trust myself, I trust my abilities and I trust my judgements. There are a few friends that I trust with my life and would gladly give mine to protect them. For these people I am not ashamed in the least in letting them know I am carrying. However there are many people out "there" that I don't trust. Acquaintances, part-time friends, co workers, etc. These are people who I feel, if they knew that I was carrying would be emboldened thinking "I have their back" and end up escalating a potentially serious situation into a lethal one. In essence, I do not trust them. It's not as if I am ashamed to be carrying. I carry in order to protect myself from danger.....not so that danger can be invited.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links