Update - MSU Weapons Policy Revisions

This is a discussion on Update - MSU Weapons Policy Revisions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Original thread is here: Montana State University officials have not made a decision on proposed new rules governing weapons possession on campus, pending review of ...

Thread: Update - MSU Weapons Policy Revisions

1943 - 2009

Update - MSU Weapons Policy Revisions

Original thread is here:

Montana State University officials have not made a decision on proposed new rules governing weapons possession on campus, pending review of public comments received.

Jul 16, 11:57 AM EDT

Gun rights activists: Firearms ban would make MSU more dangerous

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) -- Montana State University plans to restrict firearms and ban concealed weapons from campus, steps that gun-rights activists argue would make students more vulnerable if a Virginia Tech-style gunman were to threaten the MSU campus.

In April, a mentally disturbed Virginia Tech student shot and killed 32 people in a dorm and classroom building before killing himself.

"The only thing a gun-banning policy will accomplish is to insure that this madman has a pool of defenseless victims to kill, that he will encounter no effective resistance as he carves a swath of death through the MSU campus," wrote Gary Marbut of the Montana Shooting Sports Association, an affiliate of the National Rifle Association.

MSU received nearly 100 comments on the proposed update of its weapons policy and only about two supported the proposed weapons restrictions, the Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported Monday.

The overwhelming majority, about 70, agreed with Marbut that banning concealed weapons and restricting firearms would make the campus more dangerous.

"Had there been more loaded guns in view, and accessible, the carnage at VA Tech could have been either completely averted or minimized, not by a brave professor using his own body as a shield, but by a responsible adult student with a concealed weapons permit," wrote Danielle D. Emery of Billings.

T.J. Reeder of Helena was more blunt, asking, "When will you issue the T-shirts with the bullseyes (and) a flashing light saying 'Shoot me!! I'm unarmed!'"

On the other hand, MSU Police Chief Robert Putzke said he is an NRA member and generally supports concealed weapons permits, but not on campus.

Putzke said he doubts that allowing concealed weapons on campus would deter a shooter, because "they're so intent on what they're going to do." An active shooter situation is usually chaotic, the chief said, and any student trying to stop a gunman might not have the skill to do it.

"What if one or two of your shots went wild and shot one or two students?" Putzke asked.

MSU's biggest crime problem is theft of students' property, including computers, cell phones, iPods, books and bikes, Putzke said. A high number of students don't lock up their property, so if they had concealed weapons, his concern is that "we might see a lot of theft of firearms, that might be used in a crime."

MSU announced in June that in light of the Virginia Tech shootings it would update its weapons policy, look into a campus-wide emergency notification system and consider how to keep people secure inside buildings.

MSU officials said the new weapons policy would ban a specific list of weapons, including rifles, shotguns, handguns, knives with blades 4 inches or longer, explosives, swords, nunchucks, throwing stars and other martial arts weapons, crossbows, compound bows, recurve bows, BB guns, paintball guns, dangerous chemicals, real-looking toy guns and pepper spray - except for small, personal-sized pepper spray dispensers, which would not be banned.

Cathy Conover, university spokeswoman, said no decision has been made on whether to alter the proposed policy in light of the public comments.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Cathy Conover, university spokeswoman, said no decision has been made on whether to alter the proposed policy in light of the public comments.
    To translate ....... "We will procrastinate to the full on this issue to try and maintain a gun-free area, despite logic and calls for the opposite".
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Putzke said he doubts that allowing concealed weapons on campus would deter a shooter, because "they're so intent on what they're going to do."
    He's so close... "they're so intent on what they're going to do." And then he wants to ban guns on campus. Ugh.

Think with me on this one Chief. If they're so intent on what they're gonna do, why would a ban on guns stop them? Of course not. So this ban does nothing to the nutjob.

The threat of an early armed response just may be a deterrent to those who want to leave a mark. They don't want to go out with a headline like "Gunman opens fire at *U, no one injured", or worse, be apprehended.

I really don't understand why so many reasonably intelligent people don't understand the definition of "criminal." I'm getting tired of reading/writing this simple argument over and over.

the chief said, and any student trying to stop a gunman might not have the skill to do it.
    I'd be willing to be there are people on here that are far better shots and that practice more than the chief.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    I'd be willing to be there are people on here that are far better shots and that practice more than the chief.
    LEOs also are involved in far more "mistaken-identity shootings" than are victims of crime.

Jeffrey Snyder said it very well: "Rape, robbery, and attempted murder are not typically actions rife with ambiguity or subtlety, requiring special powers of observation and great book-learning to discern.
    "When a man pulls a knife on a woman and says, 'You’re coming with me,' her judgment that a crime is being committed is not likely to be in error. There is little chance that she is going to shoot the wrong person.
    "It is the police, because they are rarely at the scene of the crime when it occurs, who are more likely to find themselves in circumstances where guilt and innocence are not so clear-cut, and in which the probability for mistakes is higher."--"A Nation of Cowards"

The students who were massacred at Virginia Tech knew exactly who was attacking them. If you want a real nightmare scenario, imagine Cho remaining masked as he was shooting the victims so he couldn't be identified; ditching his firearms; then acting like one of the terrified students so he could be evacuated by police and escaping out of state to do it again.

As for Chief Putzke's notion that a civilian might have mistakenly shot one or two innocent students, my response would be, "So might one of your officers, Chief, and Cho for certain-sure killed thirty-two."

Montana

"steps that gun-rights activists argue would make students more vulnerable if a Virginia Tech-style gunman were to threaten the School."

Argue? Whats the argument? It's an absolute certainty.

Did I miss something, or did they forget to ban Slingshots, tire irons, and baseball bats?

someone could do some damage with a compass or even their car. We better ban these items too. After all the BGs aren't allowed guns on campus, so they will have to turn to these weapons instead.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Links