Oh to have the Grandads back

This is a discussion on Oh to have the Grandads back within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now these folks were switched on (most of them) - pro gun and logical thinking. Wish they were not dying off. My son's grandad-in-law had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Administrator

Now these folks were switched on (most of them) - pro gun and logical thinking. Wish they were not dying off.

My son's grandad-in-law had a scare two days ago - not heart as feared but actually just a nasty acid reflux deal causing some chest pain. He'll be home tomorrow.

He is IIRC around 82, sharp as a knife and still carries. He passed his carry piece to my son's FIL before he reached the hospital - hoping to make sure he didn't scare any young medics. So, - thoughtful too.

I don't see him often but heck - he is a classic all American old fella .... and I wish we had more of his type still left. Not so many sheeple/whimps back then.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Amen. Glad to hear he'll be home from the hospital soon!

+1 wish we could keep them around longer. Unfortunatly they are the last of a dying breed. The days of honor, patriotism and integrity are slipping away. (as a whole, I know quite a few great people here that embody all three!)
    I try to spend as much time as i can with my grandparents, because they can't live forever(both 87 years old)
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Agreed. Not too many wimps.

Those were days when you ate the fat on your steak and didn't even think of taking the skin off chicken.

Mine are all gone, but are often thought of.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    Mine are all gone, but are often thought of.
    I think that is something many of us might say - but thru rememberance we just might help preserve the old values ... ain't easy but we gotta try.

Bless em all - many of whom too served and helped make what we have today regarding our way of life.
    Chris - P95

Amen.

They are heroes, that's for sure. Going to see mine tomorrow. I can't wait.

I agree. I have one grandmother left. She is doing well. She can't hear anymore but she is still sweet as all get out.

She's in her 90's now, I only hope I last as long.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My last grand-parent (grandfather) died a few months ago at 102. He was a real character!! I remember spending the summer with him and my grandmother - my dad's parents - in places like Atlanta, Key West and Ft Lauderdale. He was a salesman and they moved a lot and that was back in the 50's and 60's. I actually rode a Greyhound bus alone from Charlotte to Ft. Lauderdale to spend the summer with them when I was 10 (early 60's), and nobody thought twice about it. My parents gave me money to eat with, a note to the driver with their name, my grandparents name and everyone's telephone numbers in case of an emergency and off we went. It was truely a different world back then!

My mother's parents lived with us in a large, extended family house. My parents and us kids, my grandparents, an uncle, great uncle and a cousin lived there at various times so it was always a busy place, especially during the holidays when the rest of the family stopped by for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Lot's of good memories of the 50's & 60's back in NC.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    My great-grandfather...who passed on my 18th birthday weekend,at age 93. He lived 2 hours away with his first wife of 66 years from anybody else in he the family. Took a fall,and broke both of his knees,and walked around for 7 months limping and not telling anybody. "It'll be aight".

R.I.P. My only 'hero'.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Lead Moderator
    I always felt very lucky that my folks wanted to get me out of the city in the summer, and I spent most of those summers with my Grandparents out near New Castle, PA.

Learned a lot during those summers, and like most people who now look back, I wish I'd paid even more attention and asked better questions.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I was fortunate enough to have both sets of grandparents within an hour's drive of our house. So I got to see them quite a bit. I'll tell you something else, when we were kids (1960's), their parenting skills were still strong for us. If grandpa told us not to climb up on top of the barn.......he wasn't kidding !

I was also fortunate that they all lived long enough for me to know them pretty well. Although, my first grandparent died when I was 7, the other 3 died when I was much older.

They were all great, just as many of you have said.....integrity, patriotism, honor, etc
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As some here know i was more raised by my grandparents than my parents . My granddad who was in all but genetics my dad ( not father ... dad ) died in 78. To this day when important moral choices come up i ask myself " What would grandpa have done ? " . This has served me well in life , including raising my own children , and now gently helping with my grandsons raising . His sweet bride passed recently to much emotional turmoil on my part .. I am Richer for having had them in my life , I just hope my grandkids will feel the same of me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

it's a shame. when i was a kid, i wanted to embrace all the new stuff. i thought my grandpa was a dull old timer that didn't know anything. man, how i miss him now, and strive to be more like him every day.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Assistant Administrator
    Good to hear how so many folks cherished their grandparents - and I should not of course have omitted my praise for the Grandmothers either ....... ladies who back then could make a meal fit for a king - out of what might have appeared all but nothing!

I think too another thing that comes to mind is, when we surveyed grand parents from our own early years - we really had little concept of what ''wise'' meant. Over time that perception usually changes but in many cases it's most apparent when the old folks are gone and we look back, nodding to ourselves as we realize what they knew.

Bless em.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links