Community events and carry

This is a discussion on Community events and carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This whole No Carry sign thing is a zoo. At our local mall some doors have it some don't. The main entrance has several doors ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community events and carry

This whole No Carry sign thing is a zoo. At our local mall some doors have it some don't. The main entrance has several doors and the right hand most doordoes not have it. The first time I went there I saw the sign and told my carry friends. The next time I went, I did not see any sign and went in that right hand door. I then told my friend they must have taken the signs down. We drove by just to look and saw that some entrances have them, some don't. What a ridiculous state of affairs.

The two major stores in the mall have their own entrances and they do not have it. From those stores, you can go directly into the mall itself and there are no signs on those entrances.

I say do whatever "trips your trigger" Pun intended.

2. Remove Ads

I can't swear that this is the correct answer, but I'm guessing you would be legal.

In Kansas, they don't have to have signs up, but if they, (store manager.), notices you are carrying they can ask you to leave even if they don't have a sign. You haven't violated any law at that point and nothing can be done to you legally. However, if you refuse to leave, you can then be charged with trespassing and arrested for that.

So if you are not "made" it doesn't make any difference either way, illegally posted or not posted.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I ama Pastor and recently attended a national event for our churches. 5000 + people there, anyway it was at a large convention center and there was a church service everyday. I got to thinking that this was not a church but I left my gun because I wanted to be legal. And in all the Places i was in Lttle Rock Ark. Not safe at all. I asked one of the security if he knew where there may be a sign and he said no. Went back and was packin the rest of the time. The spirit of the law and the letter are two different things.

Your original decision to stop going to these kinds of functions was a wise one. Return to that policy and don't sweat the CCW end of it. Heck, I don't even like going to the county fair anymore!!

Steve... very good statement.

SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.

AND

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16 11 330 and 16 23 460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

I decided to go to the event, and I carried a self protection device, not a weapon.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    The No CW wording is in yellow and about 2" tall
    No "Comanche Warriors?"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    So we have a "community event" locally(3000 - 4000 people) and normally I don't attend these things as I basically know who is going to be there. Same crowd every year, same watching the drunks act like fools. I don't drink, so I don't understand it. I quit going to these about 20 years ago.

I have been invited to check it out this year by a few people, some of them coordinators.

Anyway, on the way to the gate to buy a ticket, I see a large sign welcoming everyone to the event, some sponsors, and "no concealed weapons" . The No CW wording is in yellow and about 2" tall. No circle with black "gun". The sign is not legal by SC state law, but how many officers would know that? Or would care at this point since they are dealing with a large crowd.

So my question to you all is ........

A) Do I continue to enter carrying as normal?

Or

B) turn around and decide to never go?

I'll post what I have decided after we see what others think. SC CWP holders, I really want to see what you say.

My personal view: If the sign is not legal according to SC Law then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. So long as the place you are going is not prohibited by the CWP code for SC I'd carry and not worry about it. I haven't seen a legally posted place yet either because they have the wrong sign or they have it in the wrong location.

Outdoor venues are almost impossible to legally post anyway because they have to post a legal sign at every possible public entrance that is pretty large and not too far from the entrance.

The law expects me to hold to the letter of the CWP regulations and I expect the same of any organization or business that wants to curtail my right to carry.

They can ask you to leave if you are made but not charge you with anything. I'm not the kind of person who feels the need to play Rosa Parks and force a confrontation but a concealed weapon really shouldn't be an issue because it's....well...concealed.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2334 View Post
    The sign is not legal per Section 23-31-235, but that doesn't matter. They are selling beer, wine, etc., so no concealed carry.
    This part is a little trickier but still doesn't necessarily put you off limits according to my CWP instructor. For example, I can carry my firearm in downtown Greenville even though by walking down the sidewalk I am passing through outdoor dining areas that serve alcohol. I can even legally stop and talk to a friend sitting at a table having a beer so long as I don't have a seat there with him. The standard is apparently whether or not you are engaging in commerce with the establishment that serves alcohol (at least in a case like this when the venue is out of doors with no obvious boundaries).

Attending an event with food vendors doesn't necessarily make me a patron of those vendors. The vendors also don't have private facilities or premises so I don't really see a problem.

So, I would avoid doing business with vendors who are selling alcohol or sitting at any eating areas obviously set up for the use people who bought food from vendors otherwise though, if indeed for whatever reason I decided to go to a function like that, I'm carrying.
    Last edited by Serenity; July 19th, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

As a rule, with few exceptions, if a place or event is not on the Florida Prohibited list, I carry and be sure my pistol is well concealed. In the unlikely event I am discovered, I will deal with the situation on a case by case basis. In no circumstance would I start an unpleasant confrontation.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links