Community events and carry

This is a discussion on Community events and carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we have a "community event" locally(3000 - 4000 people) and normally I don't attend these things as I basically know who is going to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community events and carry

Community events and carry

So we have a "community event" locally(3000 - 4000 people) and normally I don't attend these things as I basically know who is going to be there. Same crowd every year, same watching the drunks act like fools. I don't drink, so I don't understand it. I quit going to these about 20 years ago.

I have been invited to check it out this year by a few people, some of them coordinators.

Anyway, on the way to the gate to buy a ticket, I see a large sign welcoming everyone to the event, some sponsors, and "no concealed weapons" . The No CW wording is in yellow and about 2" tall. No circle with black "gun". The sign is not legal by SC state law, but how many officers would know that? Or would care at this point since they are dealing with a large crowd.

So my question to you all is ........

A) Do I continue to enter carrying as normal?

Or

B) turn around and decide to never go?

I'll post what I have decided after we see what others think. SC CWP holders, I really want to see what you say.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

In Texas, a no firearms sign has to be worded to include the phrase "persuant to penal code 30.06, no firearms are allowed on these premises" to be legally binding. However, in my opinion, if there is a sign written in crayola saying "no guns allowed", it should be honored because the intent is the same as the legal sign.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

If the signs are evidently not compliant I go in like they were not there.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I'm with Tex on this one, respect their decision as you would want them to respect yours. Whether the sign is legal or not the intention is still there.

1) Don't go.
    2) Carry blunt and hard, or sharp and pointy things.
    3) Ignore the sign.

Having worked these on a professional basis, I'm not in any way a fan of them. If, as you alluded, you will be there under the graces of some/several vendors or organizers, stick with them, and keep your head down and mouth shut, if you decide to be armed. FWIW, after the first one I worked, I was everafter armed to the frigging teeth.

Being fired...being beaten, stabbed, shot by bangers & drunks, hmmm....

I would go, and I would take a copy of the law that defines what the legal requirements are for the signs to be enforced. How much more difficult would it be for the organizers to make and post the proper signs than it was to make the ones they did? If they are serious about banning weapons, they should at least make that minimal effort.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    ... as I basically know who is going to be there. Same crowd every year, same watching the drunks act like fools.

Anyway, on the way to the gate to buy a ticket, I see a large sign welcoming everyone to the event, some sponsors, and "no concealed weapons" .
    Such events are things I don't do. Doesn't matter who invites me. Drunk fools + anti-carry = bad juju.

Could you? I'm not that familiar with your state's laws.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Comply with state law

Quote Originally Posted by Tex32Cal View Post
    In Texas, a no firearms sign has to be worded to include the phrase "persuant to penal code 30.06, no firearms are allowed on these premises" to be legally binding. However, in my opinion, if there is a sign written in crayola saying "no guns allowed", it should be honored because the intent is the same as the legal sign.

Michael
    I completely disagree. If you are not legally bound by it then I would proceed as normal. If intentions were binding there wouldn't be any crime anywhere and gun free zones would really work.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Forget about the legality of the sign. It's telling you you're not wanted.
    Turn around and go home.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The sign is not legal per Section 23-31-235, but that doesn't matter. They are selling beer, wine, etc., so no concealed carry.

I don't know SC law so I am speaking from a MN perspective. Is this event paid for by tax dollars in any way? For example our State Fair is in some ways so when they post I ignore the signs. They are not legally binding and are strictly the opinion of a few members on the State Fair board, not all the vendors within. Places like our Mall of America post but have no legal right to do so. I have not heard that the tenants within agree with the signs so until I do I go there armed. Now if asked to leave I am not wealthy enough to be the test case so I will comply but I think they need to obey the law by posting in a compliant manner. Otherwise it is just the opinion of someone with some authority but not everyone.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Can you open carry in SC?

Thats what we do in Virginia. All the big county fairs serve alcohol so we just open carry. Sure you get looks but we just hand out brochures about the law.

I try to adhere to the Rule of the 3 Stupids when going to public places or events.

1) Avoid Stupid People

2) Do Not Perform Stupid Acts

3) Stay Out of Places of Stupidity
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What sign?
    I never saw/noticed it...just as no one saw/noticed my concealed firearm.

In my current state carry into zones where there will be alcohol is allowable where as it sounds like SC is not. :\
    Maybe walk in with something else defensive.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links