I finally did it.

This is a discussion on I finally did it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got the cash together and applied for my CHL. It was a strange and enlightening experience. First, when I arrived at the courthouse, ...

Thread: I finally did it.

Thumbs up I finally did it.

I finally got the cash together and applied for my CHL.
    It was a strange and enlightening experience.
    First, when I arrived at the courthouse, I frisked myself. Left knives,Leatherman,keys,change, etc in the car. Got to the courthouse and realized I could have kept my change, etc, as there was no metal detector at the doors. I wouldn't be required to "remove your shoes and belt and please pass through again, sir..."
    Strange.
    Got to the Sheriff's offices, and no bulletproof glass??? I spoke with people across a desk? Curioser and curioser....
    The woman who helped me was polite and friendly. She chit-chatted with me while processing my application quickly and efficiently. Told me it would be about 6 weeks before I get my CHL in the mail.
    All in all, a very pleasant experience. Well, aside from having to pay a fee and ask permission to exercise a right, but that's another thread entirely...
    It's been years since I was able to enter a courthouse without being made to feel like a criminal.
    I love Oregon.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well good on you.

Here I went to the sheriff's department to get printed. The deputy and I were joking around a little about being finger printed. He commented "You've done this before." I said yes, at least 8 times. He was curious so I explained I was former military and held many clearances that required it. Took the prints and application to the clerk of the court. Nice lady took everything and gave me my receipt and she let me know it's probably be 4-5 weeks because of the holidays. 4 weeks later they gave me a call to pick it up. I signed it and they laminated it for me and off I went.

Pretty painless. Most states that have had shall issue for awhile are pretty good. It's like any other application to them.

-Scott-

Pretty painless. Most states that have had shall issue for awhile are pretty good. It's like any other application to them.
    Yeah, I just have to get the last traces of CA out of my head. I went into this remembering my jury duty experiences in CA. I'm continually in a state of shock when things make sense.

My Blog

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Good for you.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Congratulations. I'm glad it was a good experience for you. Florida has a great system. You can be fingerprinted electronically to speed up the process. My permit arrived 13 days after sending in to Tallahassee.

I just have to get the last traces of CA out of my head.
    Please hurry; it's documented, that sh__ will cause brain decay

Congrats ...

Assistant Administrator
    Fjolnirsson - excellent news! Glad it went smoothly tho pity your wait is so long.

Seems crazy by comparison with here. I'm not sure which took longer, mine way back, or my wife's early this year - both had to have been inside 30 minutes). Fill in form, background check, now - get pic taken - pay the fee ($25 now IIRC) - and leave with permit in hand. Good for 5 years.

My only reservation with the PA system is that despite the individual's right to possess etc - I know there are a few folks who I dearly wish would get adequate advice and training, before they go straight from non shooter and non carry - to instant carry status.

The disparity between state's is crazy IMO - long delays, huge fees, almost excessive training in some cases - then what I have here!! Add to that, the other disparities too - where you can and cannot carry - again here, the exceptions are very few compared to quite a lot.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The disparity between state's is crazy IMO - long delays, huge fees, almost excessive training in some cases - then what I have here!! Add to that, the other disparities too - where you can and cannot carry - again here, the exceptions are very few compared to quite a lot.
    Yep, doesn't make sense, wait, it's the government, nevermind.

In CA, I checked into CCW, and tried for years to get around our Sheriff. The fee to apply(with no refund if refused) was nearly $400 in my county. If the sheriff decided your "good cause" statement was sufficient to warrant issuance of CCW, you had to submit your 3 carry pieces for inspection and approval. The serial #s were recorded, and if caught carrying any pistol not listed on your permit, it was an automatic felony charge.
    No mouseguns allowed, only certain manufacturers.
    Things are so different here. It's good to live in the USA! Glad I immigrated.

And there are very few places I've found here where I cannot carry.

My Blog

Thumbs up

In New Hampshire, it's 10 bucks and 10 days.... They print you right away, and always ask you if you already have a weapon (It's just that they are curious to what you might have a preference for) BTW, we can buy a handgun with a drivers' license, but to carry, we need to get the Pistol and Revolver License..NO state sales tax either..

In Colorado, it's over $150! $100 to the sheriff, and $52.50 to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Max 90 day wait while they check you out (on day 30 myself).

In my county though, it was pretty painless to apply at least (besides the "sticker shock"); Downloaded the app on the net, brought it in filled out, signed it in front of them, filled out a fingerprint card and got the prints taken. They don't do pictures until you're approved.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    After keeping under the Radar in NY for a lot of years going to the cop house and asking for a ccw was sort of weird.
    The reaction was even stranger. "You want a CCW, that's GREAT"
    God Bless Florida

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

AZ...took 10 calender days fr the loving wife's renewed permit to come back. We just redid the law, so it is now $65 for 5 years, no fingerprinting after the first renewal, original class went down to 8 hours, renewal class went down to 2 hours, carry whatever you want and however many you want with permit, (wanna carry a MAC, 1911, Seecamp and pengun? I know a guy who carried all of them at the same time, legal as Church on whatever day you care to name), open carry of same if you wish, Class 3 friendly, and you can carry your Class 3 on your permit. Yes, Virginia, if you own a legal MAC and SMZ rig, you may carry it concealed.....during the two months of the year we wear jackets....
    No registration, no license, no permit to buy, shall issue CCW, (it's also non-resident, too), no waiting period, no purchase limit, no AWB, no magazine ban, open carry legal an unremarked on, shall i go one? Oh, yeah, please move here before the Calirefugees flood the state....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Fjolnirsson,

Just curious about your Bruce Lee quote. It's meaning is fundamental in the martial arts for a "formless form" . How much do you know about it?

Mike

Links