Arizona Carry Question

Arizona Carry Question

This is a discussion on Arizona Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kansas CCL, but spend a fair amount of time in Arizona. What is the Arizona law for a concealed carry licensee having ...

Thread: Arizona Carry Question

Arizona Carry Question

I have a Kansas CCL, but spend a fair amount of time in Arizona.

What is the Arizona law for a concealed carry licensee having a handgun in a car?

Can it be in stored in a middle console or glove compartment? If yes, can the handgun be loaded?

Thanks in advance.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

If you have a CWP that Az honors, then you are good to go as long as the pistol is holstered, IIRC.

1943 - 2009
    Take a look at the Arizona Dep't of Public Safety web site:

http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/default.asp

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    From the link above: "Arizona Recognizes all other states valid permits"

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
    I have a Kansas CCL, but spend a fair amount of time in Arizona.

What is the Arizona law for a concealed carry licensee having a handgun in a car?

Can it be in stored in a middle console or glove compartment? If yes, can the handgun be loaded?

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry I missed this one. You can carry loaded open in the vehicle in plain view, on your person, or in a glove box or storage container WITH a vaild CWP. Pretty much wherever.

If you had no permit it would need to be completely visible or in a holster inside the glovebox and or storage compartment.

A.R.S. 13-3102 Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly: 1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 2. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 concealed within immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation; F. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster which holster is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons which scabbard or case is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

Case law, particularly State v. Moerman, 182 Ariz, 255, 895 P2.d 1018 (Dec. 13, 1994), Rev. Denied (1995), has created a great deal of uncertainty about permitless carry in containers that may not "reasonably place others on notice that such person is armed." Despite the current ambiguity surrounding permitless carry, most Arizona peace officers seem to believe that if a firearm is carried out of sight within a storage compartment or a glove compartment of a vehicle, without a permit, it must be carried there in a holster.
    welcome to AZ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Furthering on AZChevy's excellent response:

IANAL... However I have heard this from an officer. It goes along with State v. Moerman. I don't personally know anyone that has ever had to test it though:

If for some reason you don't have your CWP with you, AZ has what some refer to as "Two-Step Car Concealment." Meaning that the gun is legal in your car as long as it takes two steps to get the firearm into action. Some officers will say that simply having to unlock your glove box counts as a step, so a holster may not be necessary. It all depends on the officer, though. The vast majority out here are very friendly to gun owners as long as the citizen is honest and very upfront about it. However, I live up north. In Phoenix or Tucson, I would make damned sure I had the permit with me.

For Example:
    Having the gun in your glove box and holstered. You would have to open the glove box and remove the firearm from the holster before bringing it to battery.

Other than that, if you have your permit with you, the gun is legal just about anyplace in the car.

Hopefully this helps.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Links