Apprehension about concealed carry at work - Page 2

Apprehension about concealed carry at work

This is a discussion on Apprehension about concealed carry at work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ipack I think you should carry more when not at work until you can get over the feeling everyone will be watching ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apprehension about concealed carry at work

Quote Originally Posted by Ipack View Post
    I think you should carry more when not at work until you can get over the feeling everyone will be watching you. I believe you will get over that in a couple months, but make sure you carry alot so it becomes second nature. I think you should carry at home also, it will help you get over your apprehension. When you are around the same people day in and day out i'm sure you run more risk of questions about your wardrobe, but I don't believe people will notice if you are truly concealed. The more you carry and the longer you carry the more comfortable you will be. Good luck and stay safe.
    i have a class this Sat. to get my CCW. I have been lurking here for a while. I would like to say that this post has calmed my nerves a little about carrying. makes a lot of sense. To the OP. I think this is good advice.

Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    i have a class this Sat. to get my CCW. I have been lurking here for a while. I would like to say that this post has calmed my nerves a little about carrying. makes a lot of sense. To the OP. I think this is good advice.
    from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I don't know what you carry but you may want to consider something small and light that can be carried in a pocket holster. I carry a 642 j frame in my right front pocket. Something like a kel-tec P3AT would work well too. I wear a dress shirt and khakis every day. No one has ever said a word. Like you there is no policy regarding weapons. I don't want to be the reason one gets implemented.
    I carry a J frame in a front pocket using a Galco pocket holster and know one has ever said a thing about it. I'm in & out of my customer's offices every day.

My two cents...

IPack is dead on here. I am in an office that used to have a "No-Weapons" policy that bordered on rediculous. When the new HR person came on board, and rewrote the employee handbook, that policy was left out. Not only that, but we have a sign at the front desk of "No Firearms Allowed" that was colored in crayon. Yes, is really is colored in crayon. Because of this, I was smack dab in the middle of a situation similar to yours.

When I was still a new carry, I felt that the world was watching me. These behaviors probably "signaled" that I was carrying. As IPack suggested, take a few weeks to learn how to wear your holster and how to wear your gun. there will be a few things that you will learn that you cannot do and stay concealed, and then there are a few things/places to avoid. Get comfortable with carrying, then at that point, take it to work. The habits you develop now will carry over to the office.

Remember, it seems that only those of us that carry spend the extra couple of seconds looking over someone to determine threat potentials. The average person is not in a habit of looking for persons that might do harm, nor are they in a habit to look for someone who might be carrying a firearm.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Thanks everyone for your responses!

One thing you might do is wear just the holster for a few days. If it is an IWB, just wear it and see if anyone notices the clips, straps or other fastenings. Plus you get a chance to get the feel before you have the full weight and bulk of your weapon.
    Good idea. I will give it a go.

Is there anything about your job could get you made; such as dress code, physical activity, physical contact?
    No, there isn't much that could get me made unless I did something stupid. I sit on my butt most of the time (desk job). I occasionally do some PC and server moves so the only time I could see myself made is if I were forced to get under someone's desk to hook up his/her PC. Dress code is business casual...slacks and a shirt. Being in IT I get away with waring a polo shirt untucked.

I don't know what you carry but you may want to consider something small
    I currently carry Sig P229R. Not what I would call "small"

If you have apprehension, don't, leave it in the car
    Not really an option. I park my car at a commuter rail station 50 miles away from my office. Having my gun there wouldn't be very useful.

If you are in an at will employment state, they don't really need a firearms regulation, nor do they need a reason to terminate you.
    Isn't most employment "at will"? I am pretty sure I could be let go for no good reason.

I think you should carry more when not at work until you can get over the feeling everyone will be watching you. I believe you will get over that in a couple months, but make sure you carry a lot so it becomes second nature. I think you should carry at home also, it will help you get over your apprehension. When you are around the same people day in and day out I'm sure you run more risk of questions about your wardrobe, but I don't believe people will notice if you are truly concealed. The more you carry and the longer you carry the more comfortable you will be. Good luck and stay safe.
    Thanks IPack. I like your advice.

Quote: Being in IT I get away with waring a polo shirt untucked.

is that not the greatest? :)

Quote Originally Posted by big_red View Post

Not really an option. I park my car at a commuter rail station 50 miles away from my office. Having my gun there wouldn't be very useful.

I am not sure about where you live but in Georgia it is a felony to board a commuter train with a firearm. Probably just something else to think about.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

I'll vote for the "wear just the holster for a while". I do that sometimes .

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    SmartCarry/Thunderwear or a pocket holster will probably conceal the best.

Yep. No one's gonna make you if you're wearing Thunderwear unless they feel at liberty to just walk up and grab your crotch! (And then you have a moneymaking lawsuit!

My feeling is that if you are this worried about being made, you are not adequately practiced at carrying concealed. Don't go carrying in a place where you don't want to be made, until you are good enough at your carrying technique/procedure that you KNOW you are not going to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    I decided that my life was worth more than my job. While it was an easy decision for me as I'm not really digging my job right now, I do understand if this is your career that you have built up over time it may be a tougher decision. What you need to ask yourself is: "What do you value more"
    Thats a very simplistic outlook on the issue. While I almost envy having that sort of attitude, it isn't very realistic--for most people. When you make the choice: life vs job then the answer is easy. When you look at it job vs ccw then its not as easy.

It sucks being forced to make this decision but some people have to and if not carrying means they get to keep their job, house, car, support their wife & kids, and provide for their future then you can't really blame them for disarming.

That said, if there is no policy or rule regarding the carry of firearms I say go for it. Chances are you won't ever get made but if you do you have your employee handbook on your side. You can go from there.

VIP Member
    My son is an administrator in a patient care environment, his work place is prime for getting hugged by nurses, patients, family. He and I were discussing cc the other day, he'll be applying soon, and I suggested to him that due to the "hugging potential" that he should probably cc below his belt at work. He's considering a pocket holster and a Rohrbaugh 9mm.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

A big +1 on the Smartcarry. A medium sized one and a Kahr PM9 is a sweet concealed carry setup.

+1 on the Stay Safe, Stay Armed.
    Would an ankle holster work with a j-frame or KT?

Good luck!
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links