Defensive Carry banner

Apprehension about concealed carry at work

3K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  SubMOA 
#1 ·
I've had my CCW LTC for a couple of months now and haven been carrying whenever possible. I would like to start carrying at work but feel apprehensive about doing so. Even though there isn't anything in the employee handbook about weapons, I have a suspicion that being "caught" while carrying a firearm would have some unpleasant repercussions. I suppose if I had a good IWB holster and wore appropriate clothing, nobody would even have a clue I was carrying.

What really gets me is the fact that even though I am legally allowed to carry a weapon I somehow feel like I am going to break the law if I carry while at the office. Am I just being paranoid? :confused:

#2 ·
try in phases

One thing you might do is wear just the holster for a few days. If it is an IWB, just wear it and see if anyone notices the clips, straps or other fastenings. Plus you get a chance to get the feel before you have the full weight and bulk of your weapon.

If it passes with no trouble, then everything on a Friday or the last day of the week. Might be less likely to say anything. Then slowly start carrying every day of the week as your confidence in yourself and your equipment grows.

#4 ·
I don't know what you carry but you may want to consider something small and light that can be carried in a pocket holster. I carry a 642 j frame in my right front pocket. Something like a kel-tec P3AT would work well too. I wear a dress shirt and khakis every day. No one has ever said a word. Like you there is no policy regarding weapons. I don't want to be the reason one gets implemented.

#18 ·
Welcome to the forum Big Red!

I carry a J frame in a front pocket using a Galco pocket holster and know one has ever said a thing about it. I'm in & out of my customer's offices every day.

#6 ·
SmartCarry/Thunderwear or a pocket holster will probably conceal the best.

If you are in an at will employment state, they don't really need a firearms regulation, nor do they need a reason to terminate you.

#24 ·
SmartCarry/Thunderwear or a pocket holster will probably conceal the best.

Yep. No one's gonna make you if you're wearing Thunderwear unless they feel at liberty to just walk up and grab your crotch! (And then you have a moneymaking lawsuit! :smile:

My feeling is that if you are this worried about being made, you are not adequately practiced at carrying concealed. Don't go carrying in a place where you don't want to be made, until you are good enough at your carrying technique/procedure that you KNOW you are not going to be made.

#7 ·
I had (and still have to a small degree) the same doubts. Long before I received my CCW I ordered a deep cover belly band and started wearing just the band to work under my uniform. When my permit finally came in I wore my wife’s Bersa Thunder .380 to work that first Monday. It turned out to be a baptism by fire when one of the managers invited himself to join me on my lunch break at the indoor range. I thought that it would be ok; I can keep cool just the two of us.

When he pulled into the range parking lot two other guys got out with him and one of them was the Operations Manager, the number two man at my company! To make matters worse I have already had several minor disagreements with him. Well we went in and shot for almost 2 hours (hey; how can you get in trouble for a long lunch when it is the boss that is preventing you from getting back on time?). The point is no one noticed at the range and no one has noticed that I have carried my G19 everyday since. I don’t think I could get away wearing my CTAC to work because my shirt sometimes comes un-tucked but the belly band is only noticeable to me because I know what to look for.

#8 ·
I decided that my life was worth more than my job. While it was an easy decision for me as I'm not really digging my job right now, I do understand if this is your career that you have built up over time it may be a tougher decision. What you need to ask yourself is: "What do you value more"

#25 ·
Thats a very simplistic outlook on the issue. While I almost envy having that sort of attitude, it isn't very realistic--for most people. When you make the choice: life vs job then the answer is easy. When you look at it job vs ccw then its not as easy.

It sucks being forced to make this decision but some people have to and if not carrying means they get to keep their job, house, car, support their wife & kids, and provide for their future then you can't really blame them for disarming.

That said, if there is no policy or rule regarding the carry of firearms I say go for it. Chances are you won't ever get made but if you do you have your employee handbook on your side. You can go from there.

#9 ·
My bosses all know about my gun hobby, in fact I've taken them out to the range several times. They all wanted to try out my " cowboy guns " and they also got excited to hold & shoot a Glock. But, there was past incident with a former mgr in the office that involved a gun, and I don't think carrying one in the office would be cool. Too many anti's in the office crowd that might raise a ruckus, if it ever got discovered, so mine stays locked up in my vehicle. There is no OFFICIAL Anti Gun policy and many of upper mgmt are shooters, but I don't want to push the issue and help make a NO GUN policy come into being.

#10 ·
We have a strict no guns no knives over 1.5 inches policy for my work and the grounds. We have to pass through a metal detector going in and out of the building. That being said nothing is posted as required by the laws of our state. Also the law does not allow a company to post the parking areas. So when I show up at work I put mine in a lock box in the car and put it back on when work is over. I have walked in with a spare mag in my pocket a few times. The shocker is that it does not set the metal detector off even though it is a stainless steel mag loaded with .40.

#11 ·
I have walked in with a spare mag in my pocket a few times. The shocker is that it does not set the metal detector off even though it is a stainless steel mag loaded with .40.
Small quantities of stainless may not trigger a magnetometer since it is not very magnetic. Depends on the alloy too.

#12 ·
...What really gets me is the fact that even though I am legally allowed to carry a weapon I somehow feel like I am going to break the law if I carry while at the office. Am I just being paranoid? :confused:
no, you aren't be paranoid. humans carrying weapons for defense have been a very natural state for most of our existence. unfortunately, society has changed relatively recently. it just takes a while to deprogram one's self from the brainwashing.

#13 ·
Big Red...

I work in a school...therefore, CCW at work could result in 'being a Fox News story'...

But you may want try (as previously suggested), a P-3AT in a Fist kydex pocket holster...flat...no printing...easily retrieved...no one would know.

OMO

Stay armed...if you can...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#14 ·
I'm just in a college job, that has nothing really to do with my degree, so if I get caught, I can find another almost minimum wage job, the store isn't posted, but the guidebook for employee's says if you do you could be fired, since once in awhile, I may have to reach a top shelf, I just make something up about a injury and go get a step stool from the back.

#15 ·
I think you should carry more when not at work until you can get over the feeling everyone will be watching you. I believe you will get over that in a couple months, but make sure you carry alot so it becomes second nature. I think you should carry at home also, it will help you get over your apprehension. When you are around the same people day in and day out i'm sure you run more risk of questions about your wardrobe, but I don't believe people will notice if you are truly concealed. The more you carry and the longer you carry the more comfortable you will be. Good luck and stay safe.

#19 ·
My two cents...

IPack is dead on here. I am in an office that used to have a "No-Weapons" policy that bordered on rediculous. When the new HR person came on board, and rewrote the employee handbook, that policy was left out. Not only that, but we have a sign at the front desk of "No Firearms Allowed" that was colored in crayon. Yes, is really is colored in crayon. Because of this, I was smack dab in the middle of a situation similar to yours.

When I was still a new carry, I felt that the world was watching me. These behaviors probably "signaled" that I was carrying. As IPack suggested, take a few weeks to learn how to wear your holster and how to wear your gun. there will be a few things that you will learn that you cannot do and stay concealed, and then there are a few things/places to avoid. Get comfortable with carrying, then at that point, take it to work. The habits you develop now will carry over to the office.

Remember, it seems that only those of us that carry spend the extra couple of seconds looking over someone to determine threat potentials. The average person is not in a habit of looking for persons that might do harm, nor are they in a habit to look for someone who might be carrying a firearm.

#20 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses!

One thing you might do is wear just the holster for a few days. If it is an IWB, just wear it and see if anyone notices the clips, straps or other fastenings. Plus you get a chance to get the feel before you have the full weight and bulk of your weapon.
Good idea. I will give it a go.

Is there anything about your job could get you made; such as dress code, physical activity, physical contact?
No, there isn't much that could get me made unless I did something stupid. I sit on my butt most of the time (desk job). I occasionally do some PC and server moves so the only time I could see myself made is if I were forced to get under someone's desk to hook up his/her PC. Dress code is business casual...slacks and a shirt. Being in IT I get away with waring a polo shirt untucked.

I don't know what you carry but you may want to consider something small
I currently carry Sig P229R. Not what I would call "small" :wink:

If you have apprehension, don't, leave it in the car
Not really an option. I park my car at a commuter rail station 50 miles away from my office. Having my gun there wouldn't be very useful.

If you are in an at will employment state, they don't really need a firearms regulation, nor do they need a reason to terminate you.
Isn't most employment "at will"? I am pretty sure I could be let go for no good reason.

I think you should carry more when not at work until you can get over the feeling everyone will be watching you. I believe you will get over that in a couple months, but make sure you carry a lot so it becomes second nature. I think you should carry at home also, it will help you get over your apprehension. When you are around the same people day in and day out I'm sure you run more risk of questions about your wardrobe, but I don't believe people will notice if you are truly concealed. The more you carry and the longer you carry the more comfortable you will be. Good luck and stay safe.
Thanks IPack. I like your advice.

#22 ·
Not really an option. I park my car at a commuter rail station 50 miles away from my office. Having my gun there wouldn't be very useful.
I am not sure about where you live but in Georgia it is a felony to board a commuter train with a firearm. Probably just something else to think about.

#26 ·
My son is an administrator in a patient care environment, his work place is prime for getting hugged by nurses, patients, family. He and I were discussing cc the other day, he'll be applying soon, and I suggested to him that due to the "hugging potential" that he should probably cc below his belt at work. He's considering a pocket holster and a Rohrbaugh 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.