Concealed carry with felon in the vehicle ?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry with felon in the vehicle ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys i havent been on here for a while because my computer crashed. just bought one this week. ive been reading the post some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry with felon in the vehicle ?

Concealed carry with felon in the vehicle ?

Hey guys i havent been on here for a while because my computer crashed. just bought one this week. ive been reading the post some at a friends house but havent been posting .anyway its great to be back!!
    I recieved my permit to carry in january and ive been carrying since then.
    I work with some people at a store partime and i sometimes give a few of them a ride home at night, I found out the other night that one of them was convicted felon ! Now before i go any further he is not a violent felon he was convicted for being behind on child support . but he is a good guy never been in trouble for anything else . and he has become a good friend of mine.
    they all know my views on guns and that i am a strong supporter of the second amendment , but they dont know that i carry.
    i know felons are not supposed to own guns or posses them, but this wouldnt be possesion would it ? ive looked around the internet and cant find any solid answers.

my question is can he or i get in trouble if i was to get pulled over on the way home from work, being that the firearm is concealed on my person and he has no idea that i carry ? should i just stop giving him a ride home!

2. Remove Ads

No, he isn't "possessing", but I would question the selection of "buddies"... bad things can happen when you hang out with people of limited decision making ability.

Non-payment of child support is a felony?

Simply because he is in your car, IMHO, would not cause a problem for you or him...'you don't know he's a felon, and he doesn't know you're CCW...right?

Now if you were 'buds'...hanging out a lot together...that's might be a different story...but a ride home?...I would doubt it.

INAL...OMO...and it's worth what you pay for it...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    As long as you are in sole control of the pistol, like having it in a holster on your belt, I think you and a felon are OK. If the gun is not on your person and generally accessible to others in the car including a felon, some jurisdictions could probably charge him with illegal possession of a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    The firearm has to be in "YOUR" posession. Now that can be loosely interpreted in some areas. Consult with your local state statutes, but you should be fine.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

thanks for the responses guys thats what i thought .

Just a note here. Not all Felons are bad guys, and not all bad guys are felons.

Different states make different things Felonys.
    If a bad Guy has not been arrested and convicted of a Felony then he is not a felon yet.

dont sweat it. he's not allowed to OWN one, but he knows his own limitations with respect to firearms.

as long as your weapon is in your control, in regards to your states laws regarding methods or levels of concealment, don't worry about anyone else.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think everyone's OK if the gun is on YOU.

It might be OK if it's in the back or something and it's YOUR car.

Other than that, I'd be real careful. Really careful.

Your buddy doesn't need a federal felon in possession charge (the feds LOVE those, 'cause they are slam-freakin'-dunks: I got a gun, I got a felon, "guilty", next conviction for my stats, please").

And YOU don't need a conspiracy to arm/aiding and abetting a felon rap to contend with, either.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Non-payment of child support is a felony?
    It is when you are a single parent working two jobs six days a week.

I would tell him something like, "Due to the situation being what it is, and my view on firearms, and that you are a convicted felon, I wouldn't want you to get in trouble if we got pulled over and I accidentally had left ammunition or a firearm in the vehicle. I also don't want a Police Officer to try to stick me with an aiding and abetting a felon with a firearm charge if I were to accidentally leave one in the vehicle and you were riding in it. Therefore, I can no longer give you a ride home and we can't associate together outside of work.

Life's rough, but that's my view on it. By the way, I'm a Federal LEO.

Biker

I think you (he) should be fine as long as you don't leave a gun in the glovebox or trunk and get out of the car to pump gas or whatever. Probably also true of leaving ammo in the car, thus placing it in his posession. That said, ANY of your friends could get in trouble if you leftt a gun in the glovebox and left them alone in the car.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfiredude View Post
    I found out the other night that one of them was convicted felon ! Now before i go any further he is not a violent felon he was convicted for being behind on child support .
    Obviously, there are felonies and there are felonies. That anyone can classify such a thing in the same category as murder, rape, assault and other serious crimes is beyond me.

If he's a good guy and you trust him, don't worry so much about it, since one crime doesn't naturally beget another, despite what some think, particularly when it's a relatively benign one like that.

they all know my views on guns and that i am a strong supporter of the second amendment , but they dont know that i carry.
    You sure? Frankly, if they are aware of your 2A leanings, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to infer you're of a certain persuasion and likely to carry. Someone who then wants to do you ill has quite a bit of info, then, simply by watching you, knowing where you live, etc. Typical caution is due, in this situation.

One way to handle the "felon" friend is to address it with him directly. Get inside his head. Understand him. If he's a friend and worth the trouble, you can take it head-on and get the basic answers you're looking for. You'll then know what to do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ..Life's rough, but that's my view on it. By the way, I'm a Federal LEO. Biker
    Agreed and, "OOMPH there it is."
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

VIP Member
    A state cop lives across the street from my bro n laws house in Illinois. He came over while we were shooting. My nephew is a felon (from a pot charge years ago) and I asked him about being with a felon around guns. He said "it's illegal for him to own or be in posession of a firearm". So I would think as long as it is on your person concealed and obviously for your protection you should be fine. Different states may look at it differently. Call your local sheriff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links