NC and VA vehicle carry?

NC and VA vehicle carry?

This is a discussion on NC and VA vehicle carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been researching all day, and can't seem to get a definitive answer to North Carolina's Car Carry law?? Anyone know where I can ...

NC and VA vehicle carry?

I have been researching all day, and can't seem to get a definitive answer to North Carolina's Car Carry law??

Anyone know where I can find it and print??

They honor SC permits, but I want to know how the vehicle issue is hadnled. Here in SC we can carry on ourselves, or in the GloveBox, Trunk, or Console.

I think VA says I can have it, as a permit holder in the glovebox, but not on myself.

Anyone know????
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

In VA if you have a concealed handgun permit you may carry it anyway you want to. If you don't have a concealed handgun permit it must be visible at all times, i.e. laying on the seat, dashboard, etc. (sort of like open carrying it).

I believe NC is the same.

Check out:
    www.opencarry.org
    and
    www.packing.org/state/

If your permit is honored in NC then you are under exactly the same rules as NC permit holders. That means that you can carry concealed in a car on your person.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

From www.packing.org regarding "North Carolina" See note at bottom of insert:

Car/Gun law summary
    Date updated: Aug 24, 2005 @ 10:07 pm

TRANSPORTING WEAPONS

Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure that their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon either on or about them without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the person's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as, under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove compartment; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. A previous opinion from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if it were placed in a locked glove compartment, unless the key to the glove compartment was in the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready access to it. A concern with this mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different interpretations, based on the various factors involved. Therefore, this may not be the most legally defensible method of transporting a weapon, and is discouraged.

While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems attendant to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of a person being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that person's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that a person immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback, is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate our law.

As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area, for example vans, the question turns on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of a vehicle to ensure that the weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as the driver of a vehicle.
    (From North Carolina Justice Academy, Firearms Laws)

See also: Handguns in Vehicles (NC SHP)

NOTE:

This page is INCORRECT! Reciprocity now allows individuals holding a permit from a reciprocal state to carry concealed in NC, this includes in a vehicle. I have notified the NC SHP webmaster as to the error. We will see if they do anything about it.

Must inform Law Enforcement when Carrying
    Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 2:09 pm

"Any person who has a concealed handgun permit...shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer."
    (§ 14-415.11(a))

__________________________________________________ _______________

Regarding "Virginia" from same website:

Car/Gun law summary
    Date updated: Aug 5, 2005 @ 11:43 pm

Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at anytime it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation. Placing a weapon under the seat, on the seat hidden from common observation, or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed. A person carrying a weapon in the glove compartment of an automobile, if the person does not have a permit or otherwise fall within any statutory exemption, is a violation of §18.2-308(A),unless some particular fact or circumstance renders the weapon inaccessible.

Must inform Law Enforcement when Carrying
    Date updated: Aug 5, 2005 @ 11:44 pm

While not law to notify a law enforcement officer, Virginia CCW permit holders have a note in VCIN (Virginia Criminal Check System), so the officer usually knows when walking up on a vehicle stop if a person is/can be legally armed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Smile

In virginia If the firearm is loaded it must be in plain sight if you do not have a CWP. I always carryed it in a spare holster on the passenger seat.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Also bear in mind, if you choose to put it in the glove box in VA, be sure that any passengers also have CHPs. If they can reach it, they need a permit. With that said, if it's on the dash or center console and in view, then everyone is cool.

Links