Defensive Carry banner

My wife's reaction on getting her carry permit

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  saltysquid 
#1 ·
We both sent off our applications on the same day, though her permit came in 10 days after mine. She has some minor scarring on a couple of her fingerprints, I don't know if that caused the delay or not. No big deal either way.

I was interested to see her reaction when she opened her letter, and I noticed two things. Although she was happy to get it, she griped quite a bit about her photo and secondly she refused the Wallyworld walk and obligatory nachos.......her reasoning was that she was not wasting calories on Wallyworld nachos. I wisely chose not to pursue either subject. Interestingly, a photo or nacho consumption was a zero concern for myself :smile:

Actually we're both glad that she has her permit. She travels quite a bit out-of-town by car, and we've had multiple discussions on how she would cc. We've had plenty of time to discuss her manner of ccw, and right now she's only considering the special gun purse. Not my favorite option for her, but tiny steps......starting her with tiny steps.:wink:

#3 ·
Yep - tiny steps are good .......... and very glad she has made the decision.

The photo! Haha - when if ever do those pics ever come out looking OK. By a freak chance my DL pic currently is almost good but my pic on FL non-res permit looks stretched - sorta ''egg-head'' LOL.

#21 ·
Congrats, to both of y ou.

The photo! Haha - when if ever do those pics ever come out looking OK. By a freak chance my DL pic currently is almost good but my pic on FL non-res permit looks stretched - sorta ''egg-head'' LOL.
My Florida pic is horrible and stretched also. I look like uncle fester, well almost. He looks better than my pic.

#5 ·
she griped quite a bit about her photo
lol. congrats to both of you!

#8 ·
:drillsergeant: Outstanding! To both of you! Carry On!

Great to hear that. Especially given your wifes road trips... I don't know how many times my wife has had some sort of car problem or something on the road when alone. She was always packing and always no threats of violence but always having the piece of mind that she was armed! It truly eases a lot of fears when out and alone!

#10 ·
congrats to both of you!
definitely take baby step with her and let her make carry/holster decisions

..as for my wife's pic.....she wore her INFIDEL shirt during class and that was submitted....I guess the DPS cropped off her pic because when her permit arrived it was cut off right at the top of the letters....we were both disappointed lol

#14 ·
Double Congrats...

nothing better than a 'couple' of CCW'ers...

Stay armed...together...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#18 ·
:congrats: I'll put up the clapping hands for both of you also!

Now both of you get out to the range and get some practice time!

As an aside, my wife had carried her MK9 in a pocket holster concealed in her bag. I talked her into getting an IWB holster which she has now had for about 5 months or so. She has still been carrying the MK in that little pocket holster in her bag. I asked her why she wasn't using the IWB as much and she told me that she felt the bag concept was just as good.

Fast forward to range time last week. I had her bring both of her holsters and we ran through some drills drawing from concealment. It took all of 5 minutes for her to realize just how slow and vulnerable carrying is if you have to draw from the "purse". After she realized that, I had her try again from the "purse" from a normal position and quickly tore the bag away from her. She was standing there empty handed and I said "Now what do you intend to do?.... Use harsh language?"

She now wear's that IWB almost all the time. :yup:

#19 ·
:congrats: I'll put up the clapping hands for both of you also!

Now both of you get out to the range and get some practice time!

As an aside, my wife had carried her MK9 in a pocket holster concealed in her bag. I talked her into getting an IWB holster which she has now had for about 5 months or so. She has still been carrying the MK in that little pocket holster in her bag. I asked her why she wasn't using the IWB as much and she told me that she felt the bag concept was just as good.

Fast forward to range time last week. I had her bring both of her holsters and we ran through some drills drawing from concealment. It took all of 5 minutes for her to realize just how slow and vulnerable carrying is if you have to draw from the "purse". After she realized that, I had her try again from the "purse" from a normal position and quickly tore the bag away from her. She was standing there empty handed and I said "Now what do you intend to do?.... Use harsh language?"

She now where's that IWB almost all the time. :yup:
I'm going through that with my wife, trying to find a couple of different ways for her to carry on her person.

#20 ·
I haven't seen a photo of myself that I have liked for the past 20 years.

:gah: :rofl:

Your wife getting her CCW is something she will never regret. I know I haven't. It gives peace of mind to know you are not "helpless".

I carry a purse. One I got from http://www.coronadoleather.com/

The other is for everyday errands....it is a "Fat Boy". Works great.

I also have a fanny pack for around the house.

The thing about carrying off body....in a purse....is that you always have to be aware of it and guard it. It is all in the mindset. I know many women who have that kind of mind set even if they don't carry.
No one wants to lose a purse....it carrys everything we need. :image035:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.