Traffic Stops

Traffic Stops

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we have often discussed whether or not to inform a LEO that we have a CCW and are armed. I do not want ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Traffic Stops

I know we have often discussed whether or not to inform a LEO that we have a CCW and are armed. I do not want to rehash that issue. It is quite contentious. So, I will submit this to those who would readily inform an officer that he is a CCW permit holder and is currently armed.

What I am interested in are people's thoughts as to whether to inform a LEO if one is not armed. I have no idea whether my CCW status is tied to my license, registration, or neither. It certainly seems reasonable to inform the officer that I have a CCW and am not currently armed. If I do not do that and he finds I am a CCW holder he might (should) become more uncomfortable.

JD
    Administrator
    I think they hear "No officer, I'm not armed " all to often and then find weapons...

If a LEO asks and I say, "No I'm not armed" I honestly don't expect him/her to totally believe me, and if the LEO did believe me, I'd probably think less of him/her.

I just saw my nephew today who is a police officer and ask him the same ? HE said that he would rather know right away that you are carring then finding it when he does his search.

I know it's tied to my license in KY. If they run the plates (assuming I'm not in my work van), they know I have a ccdw. If I get pulled over, I plan to hand the permit over with the license and inform the po whether I'm armed or not. It seems like the polite thing to do. There are so many of us in KY that I'm reasonably sure it won't be a big deal.

In Texas, when a LEO runs your driver's license, he'll know you have a CHL --- they are linked.

And your vehicle registration is linked with your DL (I believe), so just running your plate as you drive down the street would therefore let him/here know you have a CHL.

Word for the wise here is to telll the LEO you have a CHL and whether or not you are presently carrying.
    Chuck

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    I know it's tied to my license in KY. If they run the plates (assuming I'm not in my work van), they know I have a ccdw. If I get pulled over, I plan to hand the permit over with the license and inform the po whether I'm armed or not. It seems like the polite thing to do. There are so many of us in KY that I'm reasonably sure it won't be a big deal.
    Yes it is tied to your license here in KY. I have had one incident (pullover) and did inform. The stop went smoothly. No hassles.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC if no info is volunteered then most cops might ask ''any weapons, guns etc?".

I would not offer that info but wait to be asked, but would declare if carrying.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGeezer View Post
    In Texas, when a LEO runs your driver's license, he'll know you have a CHL --- they are linked.

And your vehicle registration is linked with your DL (I believe), so just running your plate as you drive down the street would therefore let him/here know you have a CHL.

Word for the wise here is to telll the LEO you have a CHL and whether or not you are presently carrying.
    It also happens to be required by Texas law. You have to present your CHL, inform the officer you are armed, and submit to being disarmed at his discretion.

As for my thoughts: I think it's a good thing. Some might consider it an invasion of privacy to be forced to tell an officer you're armed, but I consider it good courtesy, and if, for any reason, I end up getting detained, I don't want him to find my gun and assume the worst. Much better to be up front about it.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    In Arizona we don't have to inform LEO, however, if I am the calling party, I will tell dispatch that I am a legaly armed citizen and in possesion of my permit. I was at the mailbox plus last Sunday, when I unlocked the door I noticed an envelope on the floor with death threats scribbled all over it! Called Flagstaff PD, reported it, told the dispatch I was armed,and would wait for the responding officer so I could let them in the store to see the envelope. While waiting, I put my pistol in the Jeep and locked it. When asked by the responding officer about it, I told her I had disarmed, put it in my vehicle. You could feel the tension melt away, she thanked me and went about her business. Nothing more was said about it. I had a nice interaction with her, and when asked for my DL,and permit, (reporting party stuff) I handed it over. I will do whatever it takes to make an officer feel comfortable in that situation. Remember, you are ONLY an armed citizen, nothing more.. I saw her downtown the next evening, and got a smile and a wave
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Here in New Hampshire (I work E911) we know who our Department issued permits to but there is not a central registry of permit holders in the State (such a list is actually not allowed by law).

In the event that I am stopped, I always advise the LEO that I am a CCW holder and whether or not I am carrying at the time. I know that I don't "HAVE" to but I work with these guys and know how they think and react and I feel it is a courtesy.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

When I'm stopped...

...which is rare, I hand the officer my DL, registration, insurance card and CWP. If I'm not armed I say, "I'm not currently carrying, but since it will show up when you run me, I thought I'd let you know up front."

The officer that stopped me was very appreciative of me being up front and forthright.

I still got the ticket, though he was apologetic about giving it to me. They were doing a crack down on a street near my work and weren't allowed to give warnings in the effort. I had turned right on a green light, but into the center rather than the right lane. Most lame ticket I'd ever received. The right lane becomes an exit only onto the highway in 1 1/2 blocks and merging can be a little tricky during rush hour once the traffic resumes from the light. I still make the turn the same way for the same reason. If I get another ticket, I'll be respectful to the officer again and pay it again.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    In Colorado the sheriff's dept. where you live has to maintain a record of who has a permit which contradicts a law saying that there can't be a database of permit holders.
    For real world situations 1) You must assume that the Officer knows that you have a permit & 2) Whether you have a permit or not, the Officer will assume that you are armed even if you're standing naked in the middle of an empty parking lot.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    In Colorado the sheriff's dept. where you live has to maintain a record of who has a permit which contradicts a law saying that there can't be a database of permit holders.
    For real world situations 1) You must assume that the Officer knows that you have a permit & 2) Whether you have a permit or not, the Officer will assume that you are armed even if you're standing naked in the middle of an empty parking lot.
    Don't forget, the Sheriff can optionally enter us into a 'persons of interest' database..which means that any time our name gets ran by a LEO.. they get notified that we have permits.

Best policy is to declare your permit and CCW upfront. More times than not the officers we encounter will respect that. A buddy in my MP unit was stopped and declared a loaded glock on his passenger seat covered by a sweater (was driving alone on highway from AZ to NV). The trooper had him step out, did a pat down, unloaded his gun and mags in the back seat, then told him to wait till he was gone to reload his weapon...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    In Arizona, their first question is *always* 'Are there any weapons in the car?'. You had better be telling the truth. It's the alternative to mandatory notification.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links