The Mall - Page 3

The Mall

This is a discussion on The Mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ahh I remember the day when getting ready to go to the mall meant getting your shoes on and grabbing your hat. Pretty bad when ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Mall

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Ahh I remember the day when getting ready to go to the mall meant getting your shoes on and grabbing your hat.

Pretty bad when we feel like we have to strap on a gun, much less 57 rounds to feel better about the trip to the mall.

Hey, I carry just like everyone else here does. I'm just saying it's sad.

I personally have quit going to the malls and have discussed with my family what they are to do if something goes down while we are out.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

For me it depends what I am carrying. My minimum for leaving the house is fourteen rounds. So the 220 means at least one magazine on the belt. If I am carrying a nine, I only bother with reloads when leaving my "comfort zone"

I also believe it's better to be perpared. I carry a 1911 and two extra mags.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    Ahh I remember the day when getting ready to go to the mall meant getting your shoes on and grabbing your hat.

Pretty bad when we feel like we have to strap on a gun, much less 57 rounds to feel better about the trip to the mall.

Hey, I carry just like everyone else here does. I'm just saying it's sad.

I personally have quit going to the malls and have discussed with my family what they are to do if something goes down while we are out.

It is sad, indeed. I try to avoid the mall, not because of active shooters, because that is a rare occurance. I try to avoid it because of all the miscreants that crawl around the food court.

But you have to try and please the wifey.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Going to the mall or any where else I almost always have a second magazine, sometimes two. Not for the fire power as much as in case I have a major malfunction with a magazine (which has never happened with my gun) and need to drop the mag and insert new mag and tap, rack, bang. I would hate to not have a second mag for this purpose in the middle of things going south.

This puts me carrying either 25 or 37 rounds depending on 2 or 3 mags. Yes I want the fire power in the infintessimally small event that I end up in a prolonged scenario. I also want the magazines in the case that I need them seperate from the shear number of rounds.

As for the mall specifically, usually one extra mag is enough for me to feel confident in getting me or my family out of immediate danger.

Thumbs up

NY,

I feel where you're coming from (See Signature). This not only applies to my gun, but all defensive equipment. I'm an aspiring LEO, but even as a regular joe, I carry my G23 with two reloads (39 rounds) plus a Kel-Tec P3AT with 7 rounds for a total of 46 rounds.

What are the odds of me needing or using all 46 round, who knows, but I would definately rather have too much ammo than not enough. Paranoid is a word better suited for the . Being prepared for ANY situation is a MUST!
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I wonder if it would be a negative factor against you in a jury's eyes if you were actually involved in a self defense shooting, shot someone, and were processed at the scene with 2 pistols and 4 mags on you?
    I think it would be an easy way for a prosecuter to point to you and call you a "survivalist extremist" and that you go out "looking for a fight". Not saying that they would be right - just that it might look kinda bad in a jury's eyes - and don't give me that "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" line. You have to weigh all the probabilities and make a realistic, sensible choice as to what and how much you carry.

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    I wonder if it would be a negative factor against you in a jury's eyes if you were actually involved in a self defense shooting, shot someone, and were processed at the scene with 2 pistols and 4 mags on you?
    I think it would be an easy way for a prosecuter to point to you and call you a "survivalist extremist" and that you go out "looking for a fight". Not saying that they would be right - just that it might look kinda bad in a jury's eyes - and don't give me that "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" line. You have to weigh all the probabilities and make a realistic, sensible choice as to what and how much you carry.
    I doubt that it would come into play with a jury. I am a Police Officer by profession. I am trained to carry a sidearm and at least two reloads. The gun and spare mags sit in the same spot on my duty rig as they do on my off-duty belt. And I always carry a second gun on duty in case of a major malfunction or an attempted gun grab. So to carry a second gun off-duty would not be far fetched.

If I walked into the mall with a Bushmaster M4 on a sling, a Remington 12 GA with a pistol grip in one hand, a Glock on my hip, a J frame IWB and a keltec on my ankle, then maybe the jury might think that I was looking for a fight.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie A. View Post
    NY,

I feel where you're coming from (See Signature). This not only applies to my gun, but all defensive equipment. I'm an aspiring LEO, but even as a regular joe, I carry my G23 with two reloads (39 rounds) plus a Kel-Tec P3AT with 7 rounds for a total of 46 rounds.

What are the odds of me needing or using all 46 round, who knows, but I would definately rather have too much ammo than not enough. Paranoid is a word better suited for the . Being prepared for ANY situation is a MUST!
    Yes, we indeed are on the same page. Good luck getting on the job.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zigmun View Post
    I've never carried that much ammo. Most of the time I don't even carry an extra mag. I can't say if I'm making good choices about that, or not. I wouldn't consider carrying a lot of ammo to be paranoid at all. You thought it out, decided what made you comfortable and you did it.

I guess you have never had the bottom of a magazine "blow out" and all your rounds except the one in the chamber fall to the ground?

I have, and if I carry a bottom feeder off-duty I always carry and extra magazine. Magazine failures are the most common type of malfunction for an autoloader.

Biker

I want the last thing a badguy hears before he kills me to be the sound of me shooting back at him.
    I don't want it to be "Crap outa ammo"

Back in the G17 days it was 18 in the gun and 2-3 Hicaps. I NEVER felt undergunned with 70 or so rounds. And if you are dealing with smaller caliber (9mm) It really doesn't weigh that much as long as you have a good belt.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    not paranoid....prepared
    yeah statistics say some things about shootings....rounds fired, etc etc etc
    and yeah if I'm with my family I'd like to get them out and run away asap....BUT I may not have that luxury and when it hits the fan it may be big piles...and I want to be prepared for the scumbags we have today
    I carry 10+1 in my G30 and 2 13rnd spares (sometimes my other 10rnd also) thats 47 rnds of 230gr SXT and Hornady TAP and the weight doesn't bother me a bit
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I carry the gun (Kimber Ultra CDP) with a flush 7 rounder, and two 8s in a belt pouch. So that's 24 rounds on me. I keep a 10 rounder in the console, and if I'm going into certain areas, the rifle goes in the back of the van.

I carry only known good new mags, and they are never used for range purposes, so I'm not worried too much about mag failure.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    I carry the gun (Kimber Ultra CDP) with a flush 7 rounder, and two 8s in a belt pouch. So that's 24 rounds on me. I keep a 10 rounder in the console, and if I'm going into certain areas, the rifle goes in the back of the van.

I carry only known good new mags, and they are never used for range purposes, so I'm not worried too much about mag failure.
    What the heck kind of areas are you going into that you need a rifle? Are you LEO? That's the only reason I'd see packing a loaded rifle; other than a hunting rifle during deer season or a small 22 LR survival rifle if you were somewhere remote or traveling in Alaska bear country... If you're packing anything close to an assault rifle to take a trip somewhere urban- then you need to rethink your travel destinations.
    If you're able to utilize a rifle, then that means that the bad guys are far enough away that you should have been able to make a tactical withdrawl by that point. Or do you carry it for some kind of "TEOTWAWKI" doomsday scenario?

There are many areas of the country where a long gun is carried in the truck. Not unusual at all.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links