First time carrying concealed!

First time carrying concealed!

This is a discussion on First time carrying concealed! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I broke my cherry this evening! Shot her for the 1st time this afternoon - just 140rds, 100rds CCI 115gr and 20 GD 124gr ...

Talking First time carrying concealed!

Well, I broke my cherry this evening!

Shot her for the 1st time this afternoon - just 140rds, 100rds CCI 115gr and 20 GD 124gr +P and Federal 124gr +P. Performed flawlessly.

Just got the VM2 in around 5PM...

I was antsy to carry so I decided to go to wally world and a few other places.

Threw on some slacks and belt and dropped in the VM2. Luckily, I have lost 10lbs so I have a bunch of pants that are around 2 inches to large.

I felt *pretty* comfortable with the VM2 and gun. However, I must have looked at myself in the mirror 6 or 7 times to make sure I wouldn't print easily.

Thing sis that I have VERY rarely worn a shirt untucked. So, just wearing an untucked shirt took some getting used to.

Initially, I was a tad apprehensive about something maybe catching the hammer and cocking the gun. I then loaded the magazine with Speer Gold Dots 124gr +P inserted the mag, racked the slide and decocked.

I wore it inside a bit, sat down, fiddled with it then left.

I was actually quite confident that I wasn't printing at all. So, I didn't feel like anyone was looking at me.

I went to Wal-Mart first. It felt strange sitting in my car with the gun on my side. But not too bad and I got used to it quickly.

I just went to go out in public with my gun and see how I felt.

It felt GOOD. It felt COMFORTING. It felt like I was taking control for myself and my fellow citizens.

I wasn't nervous at all. In fact, I was very relaxed carrying a loaded gun on my hip.

Not sure why, but I felt like Mr Good Citizen and offered a woman a spot under my umbrella as it was raining at a good clip.

Grabbed a cart and went to see if they had ammo on sale as I read elsewhere. They didn't. $15 for a box of 100 WWB. The gunshop has CCI blazer for the same price, so nothing great there.

I WAS conscious of the gun being on my side and I did keep tugging down at my shirt to make sure it wasn't getting bunched up. I made sure I didn't try to adjust the holster but I did pull my pants up and adjust a few times.

Other than that- uneventful. Not sure where you guys get nachos. Only Blimbies was open. I was hungry and didn't want Blimpies. Plus, another excuse to go elsewhere and see if people spotted me. Haha.

Went to Sports Authority and was disappointed by what they had in the store.

I actually looked for vests because it occurred to me a vest would be good to have during the evenings. No dice.

Went to BK and ate there. Realized I sat with my right hip out and was going to change sides, but then realized nobody had a clue anyways.

So, I'm good carrying IWB with an untucked shirt. I got the extra long clips for the VM2 but Craig from LASports told me to break in the VM2 for at least 12hrs before using the clips.

Should get the shoulder rig and ankle rig by Monday.

BTW, not sure why guys wait so long for a VM2. I got mine in 48hrs and paid less than Ebay prices. Never used another holster so I can't compare, but the VM2 was nice to carry.

So...I am officially in the club!

Way cool - I loved reading about how you felt carrying. You were way more cool than I was the first time. First time I carried I thought I had a strobe light on my hip that everybody would notice. The H&K with the VM II is just the SWEEtest set up!

I think this trend of hitting Wally World for the first run ought to become a tradition!

In just a short time, before going out...you'll grab the wallet, the watch, the rings, and the gun and mag. You won't even think about it, and at times you might grab your wrist to double check for the watch, or tap your side to double check for the gun...they should be THAT comfortable...

Good luck...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    In just a short time, before going out...you'll grab the wallet, the watch, the rings, and the gun and mag.
    That's true - it's surprising how even a week of carry helps. I would recommend one very discrete check that can be done anywhere anytime - hold strong side elbow in just a tad ... that not only confirms that your friend is there but - it's an easy way to battle wind blowing a shirt or vest. It's most unlikely anyone at all would notice - even ''one of us''!

Oh and - get to bending knees in stores - helps no end to stop butt printing out back

Glad you are now ''equipped''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sweet lookin' setup! HK's are great guns, but I'd still recommend putting a lot more rounds through it very soon. A carry gun needs to prove itself worthy of your trust, apart from the reputation of its manufacturer. Don't get really comfy with it till it's run at least 500rds of target ammo without failure, at prolly at least 100 of your carry ammo. I know--it's expensive. But your life costs more.

Congrats on the permit, and again, the sweet rig. NEVER stop learning, thinking, playing the what-if game, reading...just never stop. For legal stuff read everything by Ayoob that you can find. Tactics--Suarez International. And in the immortal words of Gandalf, "Keep it safe. keep it secret."

Congrats! Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Like others have mentioned, as you go along it gets easier and easier to a point where you feel naked without it! It's kinda like a seatbelt. You never really notice it until the day you, for whatever reason, forget to clip it in!

P.S - How do you like that VM holster? I'm in the market for a nice leather holster for my XD and the VM was one I was looking at. Let me know what you think of it when you get a chance.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    I'd be shootn that puppy as much as possible. Git er broke in and get use to shootn it. I didnt want to carry my XD until I had atleast 500 rounds through it.
    Nice setup and congrats.

Before long, wearing it will be second nature. In fact, the only time you will be unselfconscious will be on the rare occasions when you are out somewhere and NOT carrying your gun.

That's how I feel. I honestly do not even notice that the gun is on my side. It is so natural for me to have the gun, just behind my right hip, where it sits all the time unless I am in the shower or in bed, that when I take it off at night just before bed, I feel odd then.

Glad your first time CCW went so well, keep at it. Stay armed, stay alert.

By the way, very nice P2000 you have there. I want a P2000Sk real bad. Those guns have an almost perfect grip.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like a great first time experience. That is awesome!

Like everyone has said, it will be second nature before no time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thumbs up He Scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post
    Just got the VM2 in around 5PM...

BTW, not sure why guys wait so long for a VM2. I got mine in 48hrs and paid less than Ebay prices. Never used another holster so I can't compare, but the VM2 was nice to carry.
    Sonavab_tch! How'd ya get that MS VMII for your P2SK?

Still waiting for mine-down to 16 weeks now (oops hope no one "touchy" is reading this) Lemme know how ya like it!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Craig had a couple in stock when I ordered it...

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

I had to wait 48hrs from the time I ordered on the phone until I got it.

503-643-8198

$128 + shipping.

Hope this helps!

Reagrds,

Dean

Links