A vacation and I can't carry

This is a discussion on A vacation and I can't carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in the communist state of NY,very few states honor my pistol permit.My wife grandaughters and myself are going to Ashtubula Ohio for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A vacation and I can't carry

A vacation and I can't carry

I live in the communist state of NY,very few states honor my pistol permit.My wife grandaughters and myself are going to Ashtubula Ohio for the week,and PA and OH don't honor my permit.Basically I feel kind of naked if you know what I mean.That is a lousy feeling.
    I hope nothing happens so wish me luck.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I got a FL permit to add PA and OH to my list. You might consider that for future trips to OH.

Yup, definitely go for FL or UT.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    I live in the communist state of NY,very few states honor my pistol permit.My wife grandaughters and myself are going to Ashtubula Ohio for the week,and PA and OH don't honor my permit.Basically I feel kind of naked if you know what I mean.That is a lousy feeling.
    I hope nothing happens so wish me luck.
    You should have no problem getting a UT or FL permit that's recognized in PA and OH, or even a PA permit (hint: try Centre County). Not sure about OH for non-res.

The rest of us non-New Yorkers OTOH...whattaya think our chances are to get a NY permit??? Not that I'd want to trade states with you, since I'm in PA, but you've already passed the hardest test by getting a NY permit.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Good luck and have fun.

And, when you get back, look into getting a Florida permit or / and a Utah non-resident permit. Then you will be covered for a great majority of the states out here.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We're headed to Iowa to visit family this year. Even with FL/NV/UT, there's no way I can carry in Iowa. :( I feel your pain.

VIP Member
    I feel your pain...........

I just returned from a week in Bermuda. Of course, you can't take a firearm there! So for an entire week, I felt unbalanced & unprepared.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"A vacation and I can't carry"

Tell me about it....I am going to the Adirondacks for a couple of weeks this Fall.

As a matter of fact, I am considering finding a similar vacation in state (Pennsylvania) if possible, or some 2A friendly state I can easily drive to as an alternative to having to go without a CCW. (Looking for private, pet-friendly, rustic cabins, trout-fishing, and hiking trails.)

Get the PA non-res permit as it will be the fastest to obtain, IMHO. Happy and safe vacationing!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

NH permit is easy to get and will cover PA. You will get in in a week. For OH you will need to FL or UT, these take time to get.
    -Biker

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Tell me about it....I am going to the Adirondacks for a couple of weeks this Fall.

As a matter of fact, I am considering finding a similar vacation in state (Pennsylvania) if possible, or some 2A friendly state I can easily drive to as an alternative to having to go without a CCW. (Looking for private, pet-friendly, rustic cabins, trout-fishing, and hiking trails.)

Get the PA non-res permit as it will be the fastest to obtain, IMHO. Happy and safe vacationing!
    You would have to lock up your CCW for a couple of hours while transiting through NY, but it sounds like Vermont or NH might meet your criteria. Vermont doesn't require a permit, and NH recognizes PA's.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I feel your pain also. My family live in Baltimore and I can not find a way at all to get a permit to carry in Maryland. Maryland does not except any other State's permits.

Of all the places to need the protection.

VIP Member
    Do not go

NY

Just a sidenote being a NYS resident and fellow LEO. If your NYS pistol permit is restricted to hunting, target, etc, you can not legally take that gun out of state and carry it under another states permit. Now if you were going to a shooting match then that is a different story. Before I became an LEO I had a target and hunting permit. I also had a Pennsylvania permit. I was told that taking my weapon to Pennsylvania even though I had a Pennsylvania permit was violating my permit restrictions and if I was caught would be cause for revocation. Only a unrestricted permit would apply to interstate carry with another state's permit.
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Just a sidenote being a NYS resident and fellow LEO. If your NYS pistol permit is restricted to hunting, target, etc, you can not legally take that gun out of state and carry it under another states permit. Now if you were going to a shooting match then that is a different story. Before I became an LEO I had a target and hunting permit. I also had a Pennsylvania permit. I was told that taking my weapon to Pennsylvania even though I had a Pennsylvania permit was violating my permit restrictions and if I was caught would be cause for revocation. Only a unrestricted permit would apply to interstate carry with another state's permit.

Amazing! Not only do they restrict one's rights greatly in one's own state, but they even try to prevent one from doing what is perfectly legal in another state...I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose.

Enjoy your trip, rmeron, and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post

DO THAT! I'm coming home tomorrow (alive, hopefully) after spending a month in the PDRNJ. Needless to say, I am very relieved, I inadvertently found myself in neighborhoods I would have no problem with at home under normal circmstances. I can't believe the mentality of most of the people I meet, although I have met two people up here with "normal" sensibilities and truly care about their personal and families' welfare.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links