Lead Poisoning - Page 2

Lead Poisoning

This is a discussion on Lead Poisoning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You'll be fine. I'd be more worried about the possibility of falling in the bathtub and breaking your neck before I worried about getting lead ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Poisoning

You'll be fine. I'd be more worried about the possibility of falling in the bathtub and breaking your neck before I worried about getting lead poisoning from bullets in your pocket.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Kinda funny you mention lead poisoning. I had really funny thought when I went to the range back in the Spring. It's an outdoor range with dirt berms. The berm on our rifle range is about 25 feet high, and around a hundred yards long. It must be filled with hundreds of pounds of lead and copper from all the rifle rounds. Anyways, the top of the berm is a-bloom! It is a verdant forest of various flora. It is all happy, healthy and green. So much for excessive lead seeping into the water and killing plants. Our entire range (not just the berms) is a lush, green place (like you'd expect to find in the country in Central Texas).

I just thought it was kinda funny. Maybe all the lead make the plants stronger?

Anyways, to the topic at hand, I think you'll be fine. As has been stated, lead absorbtion through the skin isn't much of a danger for adults. If you're worried, JD's got an excellent idea.

Stay safe.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Exodus-
    If you get a hold of the owner maybe he'll let you sift through and collect it up. You can melt it down and make new bullets!

My grandfather worked on radiators for a living. Constantly soldering them back together, while smoking 3 packs a day. Washing hands before you eat is not a common occurance at his shop. He died at 76 of lung cancer, and had worked there since he was 12. I don't think the continuous exposure to lead for his entire life had anything to do with his death.

Austin

Lead exposure does not lead to sterility; it leads to lowered IQ. The danger on a shooting range is from the fine lead dust generated from lead bullets tearing down the barrels of our guns. It gets on our hands and the floor, then onto our shoes and then carried into our cars and homes. Copper jackets help reduce the lead dust generated. Handling lead bullets does not pose any risk.

My club is very sensitive to it and has installed additional fans behind the shooters to enhance the airflow downrange, hopefully carrying lead dust away from the shooters. We use rubber squeegees to clean up spent brass, not brooms, to lessen stirring up lead dust. The floor behind the firing line is vacuumed regularly with a HEPA filter vac. We are all asked to come off the range and wash our hands with a special metal removing soap. All this to control lead dust. We recently considered putting sticky floor mats (like those used in scientific clean rooms) in the foyer leading from the range to the club room to collect lead from shoe soles. We abandoned that when one of our members, an industrial hygenist, came in and swabbed surfaces all over the building. Lab tests determined that lead levels were not all that high, so maybe we overreacted.

no lead self defense

Look into Cor-Bon DPX ammo. No lead, all copper bullet & fantastic performance.

Many years ago I started casting my own bullets and grew increasingly worried about lead poisoning. One day it dawned on me that I work in a can making plant and that years ago all the cans were sealed along the edge with lead. It also dawned on me that some of the old timers there must've been in the business when lead was used. SO. I started questioning some of the older mechanics to find out what kind of health problelms they'd had in those days with lead. Now you've gotta understand, they worked right along pots of hot molten lead day in and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out and even, yes, year in and year out. These guys had BOOKOO exposure to lead and if anybody on this planet was going to have problems related to lead exposure it was them. Well, to make a long story short, each of them sorta looked at me, when I asked them about it, as tho I'd just stepped off a flying saucer and spoke Martian. WHATTA YOU TALK'N 'BOUT? was the universal reply. These guys didn't have any lead related health problems. Of course, they were adults when they were thusly exposed and for children it'd be a different story. But casting your own bullets and carrying ammo with exposed lead is not going to CAUSE a health problem, although it might exacerbate an existing problem.

Lots of us grew up in homes that were painted with lead based oil paint inside and out, and it never affected us. All of the older commercial and industrial buildings are the same. Many are full of asbestos, and there are water mains made of asbestos and older homes also have lead water service plumbing. This stuff has to be ingested or inhaled to do any damage, and in relatively large amounts.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

You should wash your hands after handling money/change/keys anyway.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    The problem is breathing it in as a vapor or ingesting it as a dust or dissolved in substances such as food, if you carry lead in your pocket it might be best to contain it in something and after handling, not to lick your fingers or pick your nose or rub your eyes before washing you hands.

I do bite my finger nails...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Yeah no problem with bullets in your pocket. Generally its the lead particles and dust at the range you have worry about. If you work at a range or are shooting constantly then you might want to get your lead levels checked, but carrying it in the pocket no big deal there.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    The danger on a shooting range is from the fine lead dust generated from lead bullets tearing down the barrels of our guns.
    In addition to this, the high-temperature combustion of the powder on exposed lead bases, the friction from the bullet leaving the barrel and the biggest culprit, lead used in priming compounds, creates lead vapors, which are more easily inhaled than lead particulates. This is where the most potential for lead exposure lies for shooters.

NRA teaches our students to never smoke, drink or eat while shooting. Wash your hands and face (especially around your mouth and nose) after shooting and wait at least one hour after shooting to smoke, drink or eat.

Whether it makes a difference or not, I honestly don't know.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

Also, for what it's worth, when you do wash your hands after shooting, always wash with cool water and not warm/hot water. Cool water keeps the pores of your skin closed and the lead particles have a much tougher time getting in. Using warm/hot water opens the pores more and gives lead particles easier access to your insides.

Again, not that you should find this a ginormous problem, but it's another small thing that might add up over 35 years of shooting.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Lead

I have a sof lead buckshot pellet in my leg from getting in front of a shotgun in 1994. I was worried that the doc was going to leave it in, he said it wouldn't matter. Years later I was tested after working on an indoor range, no issues. If that won't do it....

I've never worried about dealing with it. I solder, handle bullets, n all that good stuff n there's nothin..............................uh wrong with me..

I worry more about the High velocity lead poisoning that the absorbing kind anyway.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links