Lead Poisoning

This is a discussion on Lead Poisoning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that lead can lead to some serious problems if you are exposed to it frequently. So here is my question: Is carrying a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Poisoning

Lead Poisoning

I know that lead can lead to some serious problems if you are exposed to it frequently. So here is my question: Is carrying a speed strip in my pocket dangerous?

I just Speer Gold Dot 135g +P rounds that have exposed lead. I am afraid that I am being exposed to too much lead (or will be over the course of my life) if I carry like this. I like to keep my keys in that pocket too but I have stopped after I thought

I don't wanna be sterile by the time im 22

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I suppose lead could leach through clothing and skin over time, but I think the real danger would be consuming it. Indoor ranges are a big problem for us, breathing in all the dust. Never drink out of an can while at the range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    The dangers of Lead poisoning are GREATLY over-exaggerated for adults.
    Exposure to Lead is very bad for infants and small developing children.

I used to do professional metal refinishing and stained glass repair in addition to a lifetime of shooting and my real and honest Lead exposure has probably been fully 100,000 times the amount of your average person and I have been checked for Lead levels (as part of routine testing in trying to determine my Tinnitus cause) and my Lead level is "0" -
    Wash your hands after handling Lead and before eating and don't chew on your bullets and you'll be fine.
    Lead poisoning happens through ingestion or inhalation of vaporized Lead and fine airborn particulate.

Metallic Lead is not absorbed through the skin.

My Tinnitus was caused by high end hearing loss due to early years of shooting without effective hearing protection so Please DO buy the best hearing protection that you can afford!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Poisoning

LOL, my first thought in seeing this subject line was that we were going to be reading about a shooting incident!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...don't chew on your bullets...
    No bullet-munching? You go to far!

-B

The only related case I'm familiar with was a bird hunter when I was a teenager who had swallowed so much lead shot over a life time that some had collected in his gall bladder (if I'm remembering correctly) and had made him ill. They were able to identify the problem remove the lead and he recovered nicely.

VIP Member
    You're more likely to get lead poisoning if its traveling at 1400 fps.
    I think its over exagerated too. Besides, you do have the pocket lining between you and the ammo. Carry on.....

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    You're more likely to get lead poisoning if its traveling at 1400 fps.
    I think its over exagerated too. Besides, you do have the pocket lining between you and the ammo. Carry on.....
    I wasn't so much the pocket but having my keys in there as well. I use my keys all of the time (like most people) and i am sure lead gets on them. The training I have recieved has made me cautious of lead poisoning--they seemed to emphasize how bad it is.

Administrator

ONLY bite on a bullet if there aint no whiskey available and you are getting an arrowhead dug out of your leg with a hot Bowie knife.

You have nothing to worry about just carrying ammo with exposed lead in your pocket.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

U prolly Practice (IDPA, ETC) with JHP's so you should be ok if you think about it.... Smoking while shooting (isnt really the best idea anyway) could put give ya more exposure than you want.

However, since im on the subject if you live within a half-mile of an interstate exit ramp you're most lilkely getting a king size dose of asbestos from brake dust.

So im sure theres plenty other things to worry about.
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I wasn't so much the pocket but having my keys in there as well. I use my keys all of the time (like most people) and i am sure lead gets on them. The training I have recieved has made me cautious of lead poisoning--they seemed to emphasize how bad it is.

If it will make you feel better, get the smallest Desantis Nemesis pocket holster you can find for your spped strip, that will give you an extra barrier from the bullets and your pocket.

VIP Member
    As others have said no big deal. As a CRSO that was on ranges every weekend for quite awhile I had my lead levels checked on my annual physical. Not a blip. I ran indoor and outdoor ranges. Speaking with a gent who ran indoor police ranges for 30+ years he did have some high lead levels. However, 8hrs a day 5 days a week is why plus cleaning the ranges etc. People cleaning indoor and outdoor ranges should wear protective gear and if you melt lead or smelt it in anyway you should follow precautions. Just carrying lead around isn't a problem.

Children under about 7 years old and pregnant or lactating women should avoid lead as it may cause problems. Under 7 is a guide because kids up to about that age still absorb it through their skin. As pointed out adults ingest lead by eating it. So after a range session wash your hands in cold water. Wipe off your exposed skin areas to prevent you from picking up the lead again. Don't clean your guns where you eat and don't have exposed food or drinks out when you are shooting or cleaning.

If you are concerned about your keys cutting up the bullets, I like JD's suggestion.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I carry the same rounds in a speed strip also, and there really isn't alot of lead exposed in a way that you would handle them.
    That aside, years ago I used to cast my own bullets. I was shooting in competition at the time; so, I literally cast thousands and thousands of bullets. In fact, I'm still shooting bullets I cast 15 years ago!
    I was worried about lead poisoning, so I had myself tested back then, 'cause I was shooting so much and handling so much lead. I'm happy to say all my tests always came back showing NO excessive lead levels. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Well I guess you guys set me straight. I didn't realize its not that big of a deal. The way they taught about it in my training classes made it seems like "omgz you're gonna die if you don't wash your hands after touching bullets!!". I just wanted to know what level of exposure is acceptable--I guess its a heck of a lot more than they made it out to be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links