The ultimate first time carry test

This is a discussion on The ultimate first time carry test within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted in another thread that I was going to carry for the first time this morning at church. Well, I found out through an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate first time carry test

The ultimate first time carry test

I posted in another thread that I was going to carry for the first time this morning at church. Well, I found out through an email that we are not wearing our choir robes for the summer so that means I am going to stand up in front of almost 400 people with an XD40 subcompact under my arm. I will let you know if I was or . First carry report posted this afternoon.....

2. Remove Ads

Its illegal to cARRY at church in va

to me this is an obvious situation where decorum would dictate you carry concealed- which you don't really specify. I'm all for open carry where legal, but that doesn't mean you should ignore common sense. I believe in "carry for the occassion". OC is legal here in VA, but I wouldn't OC at a formal dinner or at a business function - those times call for concealed.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Kavity...it is illegal to carry at church, and if you read the rest of that line..."without good and sufficient reason." Self defense is good and sufficient reason if you ask me.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

In Texas, unless otherwise posted, concealed is okay at church and yes, it will reside under my arm inside my shirt in a very comfortable shoulder holster.

VIP Member
    Go for it and sing like a bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Kavity...it is illegal to carry at church, and if you read the rest of that line..."without good and sufficient reason." Self defense is good and sufficient reason if you ask me.
    Quite so.

Bravo, Tim.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Wow. I dunno how I didn't catch that. Thanks.

Administrator
    Good Luck. Don't Sweat It ~ You'll Do Just Fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've led worship, preached, done all kinds of stuff up in front with nothing more than an untucked button down shirt covering my G27 at 3:00 IWB. You'll be fine. :)

Sounds like yours will be well and truly concealed, so don't worry about it. None of the sheep in your congregation will even notice. My Rabbi has entered semi-retirement status, so more than half of Friday evening prayer services are led by congregants. I led this past Friday with my Glock 23 on my right hip, covered by a very dapper (if I do say so myself) striped seersucker sport coat.

As was covered above, in Virginia I can only carry in a House of Worship (when religious services are being conducted) with good and sufficient reason. Jihadists or Neo-Nazis could strike us at any moment; that's sufficient enough. That's my line and I'm sticking to it. Even if the judge doesn't buy it, it's only a Class 4 Misdemeanor ($250 fine, no jail time), but could cost me my permit.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Theres no actual definitions set for a 'clear and suffecient reason'. To me thats the problem. Good luck and let us know how it went...

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Well, back from church and it was quite an experience. We walked up to the church door and made sure that they hadn't posted the requisite sign and they hadn't. Stepped in and walked down the hall where I was immediately hugged by the choir director. She was glad I has there because several members were on vacation. I could see the hug coming so I gently turned my right shoulder and pressed against her with my right chest while at the same time keeping my arm lowered over my left side........and it worked In fact it worked so well I used the same method 3 more times!! (we are a hugging bunch of Presbyterians okay)
    Went in to our sunday school classroom and said the hellos and sat in a chair facing the rest of the class and no problems. Read a few bible verses outloud and no one got up screaming, "He's has a gun...Run for your lives!!!"
    After class was over I walked over to the choir rom where I said my hellos and got my music book out. I had to reach slightly up and to my right over another member and no problems with that either. We then lined up in the foyer and walked in when the service started. I was wearing what you see in the picture. Under my left shoulder was a Kangaroo shoulder holster carrying a condition one XD40 sc. When we were seated on the stand and got involved in the worship it was like any other Sunday. The real test came though when we sang a jazz version of Amazing Grace and all eyes were on us. The basses (that's me) sing on the last row and we are elevated a little higher than the front two rows of the choir. The lights came down in the sanctuary and the lights came up on the choir. I cleared my throat, rose when directed and sang.There were thoughts running through my mind about who was looking at me and if they saw any "huge bulges" under my left arm as I raised the choir book. At the end of the song, we sat and it was all as usual. After the service we had choir practice for an hour and again it was uneventful. At one point in the practice my mind left the gun and I started thinking about what we were going to have for lunch.
    When we got back in the car I told my wife that the experience was exactly what I needed to incorporate my strongly held beliefs of self protection into our daily lives. Got home, de-armed and as I type this I smell the bacon for the BLT's being cooked in the kitchen and watching the droplets of water bead on the outside of my ice tea glass. Yes, I sense it's all going to be just fine.......
    Attached Images

Why did you disarm when you got home?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member

Talking

...Well done, Sir! Not many of us were put under the spotlight on our first carry...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links