Does age - have to be a disadvantage?

This is a discussion on Does age - have to be a disadvantage? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ahh - forgot the TREACHERY bit - hehe - gotta work on that! LOL!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does age - have to be a disadvantage?

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - forgot the TREACHERY bit - hehe - gotta work on that! LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...BUT - I positively KNOW I am slower than once. I KNOW I am not able to run fast - or for as long...
    Knowing yourself and your abilities is key. The effects of aging can't be avoided. Some age more quickly than others. Eventually, you will slow down and become less agile. You compensate for this with skill and wisdom. Does aging have to prejudice your ability to respond? Absolutely. Can you moderate the impacts of aging on your ability to respond? Absolutely. Must you compensate for lost speed and agility in your response? Absolutely.

Heck, at 43, I'm already feeling it. I'm definitely a little slower than I was. My feet are spreading out. Some mornings, my joints hurt where I punished them in my youth. I compensate by watching my diet, regular exercise, and I train as much as I can. All you can do is keep your mind and body as sharp as you can. That's all any of us can do, at any age.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

sm
    Knowing yourself and your abilities is key. The effects of aging can't be avoided. Some age more quickly than others. Eventually, you will slow down and become less agile. You compensate for this with skill and wisdom. Does aging have to prejudice your ability to respond? Absolutely. Can you moderate the impacts of aging on your ability to respond? Absolutely. Must you compensate for lost speed and agility in your response? Absolutely.
    Well put and I agree.

I just turned 50 , I believe "life experiences" are valuable tools. An old Mentor once shared " one learns from mistakes - less expensive and painful if one learns from someone else's mistakes".

Dang if that old fart was not right.
    Use Enough Gun

Assistant Administrator
    What - oh - you called? Dang it - thought you were after me again for a minute!

See - you cannot escape this ol phart - however hard you try. Serves ya right for joining!

Boy - are we ever gone have some fun!!!
    Chris - P95

Cool Live and Learn?

Quote Originally Posted by sm-
    Well put and I agree.

I just turned 50 , I believe "life experiences" are valuable tools. An old Mentor once shared " one learns from mistakes - less expensive and painful if one learns from someone else's mistakes".

From "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long" (Robert A. Heinlein)

"Live and Learn, or don't live long...."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

From Bat Masterson: Three things that make you good;
    Deliberation
    Accuracy
    Speed

In that order. Age may have something to do with speed. I don't believe it has much to do with the first two.

Can also toss your O2 tank at em and take that out while they're trying to figure out what to do with it.

Assistant Administrator
    rwojcik - welcome dude - and the O2 tank - love it!

I ain't quite that old yet!
    Chris - P95

Police question-truth hurts-will a jury/police?

At 65 the best I can do with the stenosis in my back is a moderate walk.I'am not running from anyone.Will a jury take that into consideration?

Age?

Quote Originally Posted by hotntot
    At 65 the best I can do with the stenosis in my back is a moderate walk.I'am not running from anyone.Will a jury take that into consideration?
    I'm pretty sure (depending on the jurisdiction) that even if your attackers aren't armed, if you shot 'em cold and stiff your age and physical condition would be a major consideration for an acquittal. In fact, I'd BET that the majority of jurors would instantly think of their dad and say to themselves:

"Coulda been POP....alright, good goin'!"
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I know that I'm physically a lot less capable now at 71 years young. I also know that I'm going to be more of a target to a BG as I continue to age. However, I think knowing all this makes me more aware. It's the main reason I got a CC permit. It's the reason I'm going to the range more now than I ever did before. I've taken a defensive shooting class so I'll be better prepared for a threat. So, I may be slower and in poorer physical condition, but I'm working to compensate in other ways. If I'm going to be a target, I want to be darn sure I can give some BG the surprise of his life.

Thumbs up Golden Years

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner
    I know that I'm physically a lot less capable now at 71 years young. I also know that I'm going to be more of a target to a BG as I continue to age. However, I think knowing all this makes me more aware. It's the main reason I got a CC permit. It's the reason I'm going to the range more now than I ever did before. I've taken a defensive shooting class so I'll be better prepared for a threat. So, I may be slower and in poorer physical condition, but I'm working to compensate in other ways. If I'm going to be a target, I want to be darn sure I can give some BG the surprise of his life.
    You know, the father of American Pistolcraft, Jeff Cooper is getting close to be 90 and still writes for various gun magazines (Cooper's Corner Guns & Ammo) as well as answering his mail, personally. I have several letters from him as part of a line of correspondence that I've kept. I can't help but think of the EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE packed into this aging shell.

Here's a guy who basically and single-handedly made the 1911 45 Gov't Model "King among equals" in the lexicon of the civilian shooter for the latter half of the 20th century. Military folks have always known of the 1911's attributes, but COL Cooper put it on the map for civilians. Here's a guy who still hunts the world's most dangerous game, Cape Buffalo, in the tight cover of Africa.

I think I'd rather talk to "Old Scratch" himself than have to risk life and limb (literally) by taking on this old guy!

I'm reminded of an old saying about "old folks:"

"Never tease an old dog, he might have one bite left!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links