Does age - have to be a disadvantage?

This is a discussion on Does age - have to be a disadvantage? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I am slower - I know I ache where I don't want to - and sure as heck my stamina is way lacking, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does age - have to be a disadvantage?

Assistant Administrator

I know I am slower - I know I ache where I don't want to - and sure as heck my stamina is way lacking, even tho I am by many counts quite active (as son says - you ain't bad for your age Pops!)

But - does this have to prejudice my ability to respond, if needed?

Things I work on - shooting practice - static and moving - draw fluidity etc - all good stuff. I cultivate my awareness, my use of perypheral vision - and so on.

BUT - I positively KNOW I am slower than once. I KNOW I am not able to run fast - or for as long.

Oh well - maybe I have to rely on ''beware the old man - he knows more dirty tricks - etc'' LOL! Sneaky instead of blatant perhaps?

Who else ''up there'' in age - has reservations about their ''performance'' (no innuendo's, haha).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm 57 and due to bad knee's and back can't run anymore. For me it's not fight or flee, just fight.

I am slower than I used to be but also more aware of my surroundings now. When I pull into a parking spot I actively look for threats. Before I pull into drive thru bank lane I look for signs of possible trouble, especially someone WALKING up to a drive up window. ( have had my 45 in my lap more than once because some idiot thought he could save time by walking up to the drive up window) Before using an ATM machine I look over the surrounding area very well. I'm not as much in a hurry to get out of my truck as I used to be! My awareness factor is much better now than it was 10 years ago.

Hopefully this will give me the extra time needed to draw and be in a ready state should the need arise. So age and slower reaction doesn't have to be a large handicap. I try to use my other senses to compensate. Hearing, sight, smell can all play a very important part in the self defense situation.

I might be old and creaky but I can still shoot very well!!

DC Founder
    I, like gunfighter, am more aware of what goes on around me than I was when younger and react differently than I did some years ago. I think it balances out.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    Is age a disadvantage? ~ Yes, it is.
    The inexperience of youth is also a disadvantage.
    So....Do they balance out? ~ No.
    I want my younger "lower back"...back!

I've stayed in pretty good shape for 55. Still can put a reverse kick on head level. Martial arts for 30yrs has certainly helped. I actually think I'm a better shot now as my concentration and awareness is much better. I still want my 25 year old body back. I hate the assorted aches and pains of 55 years of body abuse.
    "If you're going to shoot then shoot-don't talk" Eli Wallach-"The Good,The Bad, and the Ugly"

FLM
    Yep, the worst thing you can do for your health is get old. I would prefer to avoid any type of physical encounter. At 63, I'm not nearly as strong as I used to be and more apt to be injured. I can shoot better now though. All those years of practice paying off. One advantage of age is that you have disparity of force on your side legally.

Im not even that old but still have same problems as soem of you guys Certainly not running with back and now messed up a knee.

Always have been very aware of my surroundings... Working Detroit will do that for ya.

But my awarness has seem to have heightened now that i Carry .. I think doesnt matter how old ya are if your aware of whats going on more than Likely you wil get the Jump on the bad guy.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Speak for yourself, guys. My health has improved.

I have asthma, and let me tell you, the meds and the continueing smoke-free environments has really made day-to-day living a joy. I used to plan my day around places to breathe.

As a club member, I smoked for four years, and I weighed about 140 pounds. How does a skinny kid get into a cycle club when others don't? You kick ass and pay for the bruises for several days. It's heart over hurt.

Now I am 55. Albuteral makes asthma a minor issue, that, and it's been over 25 years since I quit smoking. I love those nice clean chest x-rays, as well.

Yeah, I'm heavier. In fact I'm twice as big now as I was then. Of course, I could lose a few ell-bees, but I'm more than three times as strong now. My endurance doesn't quit. People have given up challenging me on the StairMaster.

(I was once challenged to "go to destruction" with a Sikh at my old health club. He was using eastern breathing techniques, I was going to use pain. He went for 2 hours and 29 minutes and hit the wall. I kept going for one full minute to end the contest.)

On the mental side, new drugs and cognitive therapy have made tremendous advances in manic-depression. My Mother hid out, drank a bottle of gin per day, was hospitalized several times and died with dementia and Alzheimers disease.

I've had two breakdowns. Even with a hit-or-miss trial of possible drugs, I kept working and volunteering at our Vets' Hospital. The second episode was a real train-wreck, but on the brighter side, I was only in bed for one month.

The combination of Wellbutrin, seroquil and trileptol, (all third generation meds) have given me the clearest focus on life--ever--and are so 'clean' that I don't have to monitor body hydration or take blood and liver tests.

I shoot steadier, I'm stronger, clearer and even faster on a motorcycle. I don't want the old life back. Yeah, it would be nice if Beyonce' and Ciara dropped by occasionally for a few hands of whist, or my old college favorite, Mazola Twister, but sometimes you compromise!

Assistant Administrator
    Still can put a reverse kick on head level.
    Krang - if I tried that ............ heck I couldn't even try! Guess suppleness is way too far gone!

For sure the biggest gain is awareness - I work on it every day - have to. It is a strength compared with other weaknesses.... one thing at least we can all cultivate, all the better to get the heck outa Dodge - even if not quicker, sooner!

There was mention too ''I injure more easily'' - that is uncomfortably true - something I have noticed for some time now. Joints and muscles are less forgiving - in fact one of the factors that helps me realize that the 100 yd dash ain't really gonna happen ... more like the 25 yd ''trip'' - or is that stumble!

Thanks for your thoughts folks - there ain't that many years difference in many of us - perhaps proving that the ultimate responsible armed citizen is the older fella.
    Chris - P95

One size does not fit all(smile). We have had shooters at the range 80 and 85 years old, very good to. Some of the guys will go past 75 and shoot well and brag about it wondering why you are not up to their speed as if they are all important powerful in your life. My trend downward started maybe 3 years ago and its the little things, hand shaking trying to do one hand drills, I could shoot better with my left than right it seems. I think we would fail to protect ourself at some po9int of aging because of just being overwhelmed with the fight at hand. We don't do this every day, even the slight bump from someone may keep us off balance long enough to diminish our response capabilty. Getting on in life is like a cliff coming up and you don't even see it, your not the strong person as in your 50's or 60's. So I believe the elder people will have a tough time defending their loved ones due to loss of agility and strength.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I think it would be a big advantage actually. You've all had another 30 years to practice!

well ya know p95, the bad guys aint gonna consider you an immediate threat what with your walker and oxygen tank rolling behind you.

hehehe.....

Lead Moderator
    Don't know if age is a disadvantage, will let ya know when I get there. lol.

Assistant Administrator
    Rocky - it'll come - you'll know!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy
    p95, the bad guys aint gonna consider you an immediate threat what with your walker and oxygen tank rolling behind you.
    Bwhahaha - but hey - you forgot the ammo cart! Slows me down too - but lots of reloads!

Just wait young varmint - just ya wait ..................... your time will come!!
    Chris - P95

Cool Age?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Is age a disadvantage? ~ Yes, it is.
    The inexperience of youth is also a disadvantage.
    So....Do they balance out? ~ No.
    I think it was a Gladiator in the Roman empire who once said: Age, experience and TREACHERY shall overcome youth, skill and enthusiasm every time.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links