OH Man... what some people think - Page 2

OH Man... what some people think

This is a discussion on OH Man... what some people think within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes Even if he was Annie Oklie (is that how you spell her name) Oakley lol I also think that turning someone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Even if he was Annie Oklie (is that how you spell her name)
    Oakley lol

I also think that turning someone around with that type of mindset is difficult if not impossible. But it is definitely worth trying!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Consider the positive side here...

Your dad (and 60 isn't that old) does HAVE a gun...many older folks won't touch a gun. I think your dad just needs some articles to read about self-defense...from all kinds of 'critters'...

He already has the gun, he just needs a little more time...take him to the range and try some different ammo...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Your dad (and 60 isn't that old) does HAVE a gun...many older folks won't touch a gun. I think your dad just needs some articles to read about self-defense...from all kinds of 'critters'...

He already has the gun, he just needs a little more time...take him to the range and try some different ammo...

OMO

ret
    ***** My Step Dad has never even shot this gun!! I told him that it is a purty good idea for him to run a box of ammo through it at least every couple of months if he is planning on actually using it.
    He said "I know... I just haven't made the time"
    I wonder if he just bought it to buy it, if you know what I mean....
    and figures he has a bigger pistol now in case he needs it.
    I bet that gun doesn't see 50 rounds through it in the next 10 years.

JP
    Sig P239
    Sig P238
    Glock 17
    Glock 36
    S&W 60
    WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You should make it a point to take him to a range or out to the woods with a few hundred rounds of WWB. Bring your Glock, and go over some basics with him. Don't make it seem like you're trying to teach him - just a couple of guys out pokin' holes, and he'll probably ease up and be open to help.

Before you go camping anywhere near bear country, get a copy of and read Alaska Bear Tales.

After I'd lived in Anchorage a year or so and decided to do some hiking/camping, I bought a .357 magnum to carry along. An old timer told me "If you shoot a bear with that thing, you're just gonna make him real mad" and showed me a brown bear skull.

I got a Mossberg 500 short barrel with pistol grip, loaded it with sabot slugs and still was real cautious in the bush, after reading that book.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that you are more likely to die from the fmj's because of the bleeding it causes. True or not?
    i don't have any evidence either way. but thinking about it, i don't see how that could be true. a HP is going to cause more internal damage, and in turn more bleeding (bigger perm wound cavity). i guess one has 2 holes, but i don't see how a wound that size would have trouble bleeding out of just 1.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    i don't have any evidence either way. but thinking about it, i don't see how that could be true. a HP is going to cause more internal damage, and in turn more bleeding (bigger perm wound cavity). i guess one has 2 holes, but i don't see how a wound that size would have trouble bleeding out of just 1.
    I had read since the fmj can travel through the body it can sever more arteries etc thus causing the person to bleed more..The hollow point doesnt penetrate as deep.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    He should be fine in a rural area . The only reason I use JHPs (Double TAP or SPEER) is that I live in a small city now.

Plenty of people are killed each day by cops or citizenry using FMJ
    ammo. 9mm Hardball isn't great, but it is alot bigger than a .25 or 32,
    and in some minds, equally as effective as a .38 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

Even if he was Annie Oklie (is that how you spell her name) and he shot for the leg, who's to say he won't nick an artery and have his attacker bleed to death before help arrives?
    Oakley, but we know who you meant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Oakley
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I had read since the fmj can travel through the body it can sever more arteries etc thus causing the person to bleed more..The hollow point doesnt penetrate as deep.
    You guys need to read about ballistics, wound channels, etc. There has been much written about it. Once you understand why a bullet is made the way it is, it is very easy to understand which is more lethal and why. I won't go in to it here, best to read for yourself.
    If you have some time and like some light reading, buy a good handloading manual, very informative. Handloading is a good pastime to get into as well. Shoot straight..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I know it's the "in thing" to bash 9mm Luger FMJ rounds as far as their ability as a "man stopper" - especially comparing the Beretta 92 (M9 in the military) to a 45ACP 1911 model. BUT for every complaint that I read second hand from some article in a gun magazine, I've talked to multiple Iraq and Afghanistan vets who said that they either witnessed or experienced first hand that the Beretta with 124gr FMJ ball ammo took down insurgents at pistol ranges very fast- as long as they did their part putting the round in a vital zone.
    Now don't get me wrong - I have a 92FS for home defense and it's loaded with Hornady TAP 124gr hollow points - I do believe that good hollow points work better by far than FMJ's in any caliber for self defense, BUT that doesn't mean that 9mm FMJ is some kind of puny, ineffective round as many on these forums seem to think.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I would simply ask him why he has a gun. Assuming it's for protection, ask him how he would feel if one of his family were to be hurt or killed, because he failed to stop an attacker. You should use the best ammo possible when defending your family, and the hell with the trash who is attacking them.

The main thing I notice here isn't the diffculty of choosing a weapon but the fact that they user has not indicated that he does not plan to train with it. From what I've read so far I don't think he should even have a gun around. My .02 is that if anyone has a loaded gun around and has even a slight chance of using it (in something other than planned target practice) they should train regularly and study balistics.

Training and practice is probably 90% of the equasion.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Your dad (and 60 isn't that old) does HAVE a gun...many older folks won't touch a gun.
    His attitude is defective, though. It is just as dangerous to him as not having a gun would be.

Put a pair of nunchaku into the hands of someone who has never used them or trained with them, and then expect him to fight with them. What do you expect will happen?

I'm just back from CO too!

My dad is carrying a Glock 19 these days, as the 1911 was just getting too heavy (he turns 69 this year) the critters he has had to deal with don't seem to care that it is only a 9mm...

he is still an active LEO (finally gonna retire this year)

I've seen him shoot rattlesnakes with the Glock, you simply cannot tell whether they were hit with the fmj or jhp ... but those little shot loads are a different story all-together... even a miss is a hit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links