Wyoming Rodeo Forbids CCW

This is a discussion on Wyoming Rodeo Forbids CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are signs at every entrance to the worlds biggest outdoor rodeo http://www.cfdrodeo.com/ stating that weapons are forbidden. They are searching packs and such for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There are signs at every entrance to the worlds biggest outdoor rodeo http://www.cfdrodeo.com/ stating that weapons are forbidden.

They are searching packs and such for unauthorized items [No bottles, food, beverages, weapons or laser lights.]

Question is, is this legal??

I've been unable to find out anywhere if it's actually legal for them to ban CCW on the park grounds and what would happen if you are found to be in possession of a concealed weapon.

I've found this and was wondering if that the rodeo is a PRCA sanctioned event does the highlighted bold item below apply???

Wyoming Code 6-8-104. Wearing or carrying concealed weapons; penalties; exceptions; permits.

* (t)(i) Any facility used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration without the written consent of the chief administrator.
    * (t)(ii) Any detention facility, prison or jail.
    * (t)(iii) Any Courtroom.
    * (t)(iv) Any meeting of a government entity.
    * (t)(v) Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof.
    * (t)(vi) Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms.
    * (t)(vii) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    * (t)(viii) Any place where persons are assembled for public worship, without the written consent of the chief administrator of that place.
    * (t)(ix) Any Elementary or Secondary School facility.
    * (t)(x) Any College or University facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university.
    * (t)(xi) Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law or state law or regulation.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post
    There are signs at every entrance to the worlds biggest outdoor rodeo http://www.cfdrodeo.com/ stating that weapons are forbidden.

snip

snip

* (t)(vi) Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms.
    Well, PRCA DOES stand for Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association...

I'm pretty sure it counts as a professional sporting event.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Let me make sure I got this straight. Cowboys, Wyoming and no guns. God help us, we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Well, PRCA DOES stand for Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association...

I'm pretty sure it counts as a professional sporting event.
    Otay, the park is open from 1130 to 2300 & the rodeo is aprox from 1300-1600.

Now, the rodeo event has not started, or is over & thus the "professional sporting event" is over and the midway, beer tents and exhibits are in full swing, can you now CCW legally??

What if you are in the park, but do not attend the rodeo

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Get on the phone and call the local DAs office and ask. If your not happy with that answer, send a letter to the Attorney General of the state and ask him/her. The Attorney General is the one that decides in opinions weither its legal or not.

Having rode rodeo for alot of my younger years as a "professional" yes in my opionion that its illegal to carry in the rodeo grounds. Now in the rest of the park I can't say, but once you enter the rodeo grounds then you'd be violating the law, even if they didnt have a sign to remind you of that fact.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post

They are searching packs and such for unauthorized items [No bottles, food, beverages, weapons or laser lights.]

I've been unable to find out anywhere if it's actually legal for them to ban CCW on the park grounds and what would happen if you are found to be in possession of a concealed weapon.

I've found this and was wondering if that the rodeo is a PRCA sanctioned event does the highlighted bold item below apply???

Wyoming Code 6-8-104. Wearing or carrying concealed weapons; penalties; exceptions; permits.

* (t)(i) Any facility used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration without the written consent of the chief administrator.
    * (t)(ii) Any detention facility, prison or jail.
    * (t)(iii) Any Courtroom.
    * (t)(iv) Any meeting of a government entity.
    * (t)(v) Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof.
    * (t)(vii) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    * (t)(viii) Any place where persons are assembled for public worship, without the written consent of the chief administrator of that place.
    * (t)(ix) Any Elementary or Secondary School facility.
    * (t)(x) Any College or University facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university.
    * (t)(xi) Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law or state law or regulation.
    Please post a copy over on http://posted-places.com ESPECIALLY if you have pictures or correspondence with the owners. I'm just trying to get a running tab going for all the places all over the country. That way we all have a central repository for these posted places later.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Another event I will not spend money on anymore - PRCA

"Another event I will not spend money on anymore - PRCA"

Agreed. I don't agree with the law, but having been to numerous rodeos and college sporting events in Wyoming, I can understand the mentality behind it. I was always more concerned about getting whacked with a bourbon bottle than shot...

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Please post a copy over on http://posted-places.com ESPECIALLY if you have pictures or correspondence with the owners. I'm just trying to get a running tab going for all the places all over the country. That way we all have a central repository for these posted places later.
    I would be much better to create a simple page that uses a sql database that you could add to /edit / search quickly. The forum method is clunky (no offence)

1943 - 2009
    If the Cheyenne Frontier Days is a private venue, then they have a right to prohibit firearms.

I don't think "professional" has any relevance in this instance.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Frontier Days involves a whole lot of alcohol, oceans of it. The ban is lawful and makes sense. If you have ever been there, you probably agree.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Another event I will not spend money on anymore - PRCA
    Why would you want to penalize the PRCA if the restriction is based on state law? I don’t recall anything in this thread that indicates that the PRCA is placing the restriction on weapons and you certainly cannot blame them for being a Professional Sporting Association, can you????

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    If the Cheyenne Frontier Days is a private venue, then they have a right to prohibit firearms.

I don't think "professional" has any relevance in this instance.
    It goes back to those 1800's frontier days...when they didn't have any guns...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It goes back to those 1800's frontier days...when they didn't have any guns...
    However, a little study of those 1800's frontier days will tell you that there were numerous frontier towns that enacted "No Guns in Town" ordinances almost immediately after incorporating. When coming into town, cowboys were required by law to turn their weapons over to the Sheriff or Town Marshal for the duration of their stay in town. Many saloons, gambling halls, and cat houses enacted the same prohibition. Want to use their services? Have to turn over your iron to the bartender or madam. Gun control in it's earliest stages?
    Gonzo
    PS - I was also not unusual for lawmen to arbitrarily disarm cowboys on the street because of their attitude, behavior, political affiliations, or state of sobriety, even in towns where guns were not prohibited. I wonder if those cowboys posted letters on the town bulletin board that started out, "So I had my first encounter with a local LEO yesterday while carrying a gun...". :c)
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I would be much better to create a simple page that uses a sql database that you could add to /edit / search quickly. The forum method is clunky (no offence)
    Are you volunteering your DBA services?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links