A good reason to carry

This is a discussion on A good reason to carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend we were staying at a hotel in a different part of the state. I had to fly back to work and leave ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good reason to carry

A good reason to carry

This past weekend we were staying at a hotel in a different part of the state. I had to fly back to work and leave her to drive back home. That night she was walking the dog and was approached by a man staying at the hotel. I had earlier told her the guys made me uncomfortable, nothing concrete, just years of dealing with bad guys. He started out innocent enough, asking about her dog, petting the dog, etc. But he was definitely inside her defensive comfort zone. He made a few suggestive comments that she strongly refused but he kept it up. Finally, she pulled her blouse tight against her stomach which clearly printed her .38 special in her waistband. That effectively ended the conversation and she quickly retreated to her hotel room. She told me she sure was glad I had pointed out a potential threat and was very glad she had Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson at her side.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Close call-glad it worked out.

"Better to have a gun and not need it>then the other way around
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Glad to hear nothing bad came of it. That was very observant of you and quick thinking on her part too. Boy the world is full of creeps.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

ahhh yes... the comforting and ever so popular Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. They do seem to give a lot of people peace of mind!

And for good reason! I am glad your wife is ok and got a chance to see how some scum bags opperate without an incident.

Having the gun in waist allows you some comfort and control in dealing with the subtleness of some approaches. Had she been un armed I'm sure she would have been more paniced or uncertain how far it would have gone!

Stay Safe. Good story! Semper Paratus, Coastie!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Even better the S&W is a dog that will keep strangers out of your personal space. We have a Shepard/ Chow, he looks just like a Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois), mix that keeps the wife and house under guard when I'm not around. Then if they insist on intruding they can meet Mr. S&W and his friends- Mr Glock, Mr Browning or worst case (for them) Mr Remington's 870

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Dogs, to me, are an unnecessary and high-maintenance "security" item. You can't possess the body of the dog with your mind, so you can never really count 100% on what it will do, or how effective it will be against your attacker. What if your attacker quickly puts your dog out of commission with a weapon of his own? You're right back to, "Better have a gun, there."

I just think the idea of having a dog is oversold. It's often FAR from practical. Should a secretary leaving the office building after dark have a dog with her as she walks to her car? Should I have a dog with me when I go to the supermarket? The fact is, the scenarios in which it is even practicable to keep a dog with you are such a tiny sliver of the average day-to-day activities of the average person as to be a non-starter. That and, are we supposed to have only dogs that are large enough to be menacing, and then train them not to be family dogs but to be aggressive guard dogs? I mean, my family has had, at different times, two large dogs, but they were pussycats! We didn't train them to be at all effective at defending us if we were attacked on the street. One time, we were burglarized, and the burglars simply opened the door and let our dog out to roam the neighborhood until a neighbor brought him back to us!

For most people, a dog is not a security item. Mostly they are good for barking if someone's outside, before a human would hear them. But for on-the-street defense? Just make sure you have a gun.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    now that is what I call prevenitive maintenance, no dead bad guy , no wasted ammo , no court appearance just a sneak preview of things to come if you do not excuse yourself quickly. good job !

While a dog may not be the best defensive tool it deffinately serves a valuable purpose. Aside from all the years of companionship and trust, a dog is usually the first to notice any signs of a "disturbance" around the house.

I have, on many occations, been walking my dog down the street at night (armed with a P9 of course ) when I have noticed potential BG's up the street. On most occations, people will step away from my direction of travel assuming that the dog is hungry and blood thirsty.

I am glad that everything turned out the way it did. Keeping the ones you love safe is our number one priority.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    While a dog may not be the best defensive tool it deffinately serves a valuable purpose. Aside from all the years of companionship and trust, a dog is usually the first to notice any signs of a "disturbance" around the house.

I have, on many occations, been walking my dog down the street at night (armed with a P9 of course ) when I have noticed potential BG's up the street. On most occations, people will step away from my direction of travel assuming that the dog is hungry and blood thirsty.

I am glad that everything turned out the way it did. Keeping the ones you love safe is our number one priority.
    On a side note, most dogs are inherently protective of their master. I wanted to test this out with my pup. I have a 1 year old husky boxer mix. I told my girlfriend to act as if she was attacking me. My dog immediately started growling, but before she could get so excited that she might try to attack my girlfriend, I calmed her down and gave her a pat on the head as to say everything is ok. MOST dogs that I have known will instinctively protect the hand that feeds them.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    Even better the S&W is a dog that will keep strangers out of your personal space. We have a Shepard/ Chow, he looks just like a Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois), mix that keeps the wife and house under guard when I'm not around. Then if they insist on intruding they can meet Mr. S&W and his friends- Mr Glock, Mr Browning or worst case (for them) Mr Remington's 870
    And let's not forget Mr. Mossberg and his 500 friends!

Our dogs will bark, whenever someone walks by the house or approaches the front door. But, beyond making noise,and alerting me to something, they would be useless. Unless jumping on a BG and insisting he pat their heads and rub their bellies, would create enough of a distraction to give extra time to get the drop on the BG.

I'm much more confident having my other friends ( S&W, Glock, Ruger, Kahr, Keltec or Remington ) on hand.

Nice job on your GF's part having the presence of mind under pressure to show than jerk his future if he didn't back off.

I've done that a time or two myself, when living in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    And let's not forget Mr. Mossberg and his 500 friends!
    Good company to keep too

No one 'thing' will fit every situation but I will always feel commfortable having my dog around. He goes running with my wife, he comes out on trips with us sometimes and people give a little more room as they pass. It's common sense, is the BG going to mess with my house or us walking with our dog- or will he go find an easier target?
    In the 10 years we have lived in our community there have been a handful of B&E's, the commmon factors EVERY one that was broken into had in common - no dogs, no security system.

A dog's primary role is to alert the home owner to any suspicious activity he nose picks up. What we can't see or hear they can smell and they'll respond quickly in most cases. It does not have to be a large dog, my dachshund is alert to anything that moves in the night. I agree that taking a dog away from the home for protection is problamatical but around the house they can be a real life saver.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Wow, You mean your wife took you seriously? Glad things worked out so well.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links