Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ?

This is a discussion on Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey How on earth can anyone claim to know whether the fanny packs they've spotted being worn contained a gun or not? ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ?

  1. #31
    SCW
    SCW is offline
    Member Array SCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    How on earth can anyone claim to know whether the fanny packs they've spotted being worn contained a gun or not?

    Suspicion is one thing. Knowledge is quite another. I guarantee you that nothing about my pack's appearance can confirm for you, or anyone else, that there is a gun inside. (Besides, sometimes there is, and sometimes there isn't, with my pack.)

    So you've been spotting fanny packs for years. Are you saying that you claim to have known they contained CCW?

    There are a few fanny packs that are specifically made for CCW, pull strings both on one side, logo front and center, etc. Another tip is the way they are carried, wearer is constantly figiting with the heavy block of steel trying to get it intoa comfortable postition or back where he wants it because the weight shifts. One guy in particular was the husband of my wifes friend. They came over to our house for a meet & greet type event and he had a large pack that seemed out of place. I figured that it contained a gun but didn't really care. Some time later we actually started talking gun and he announced (proudly) that he had a gun right then. I told him I pretty well knew and that somewhat deflated him.

    I don't think that being on this forum has led me to 'spot' a CCW, but being aware of what a CCW fanny pack looks like has. If I didn't peruse the shops that sell such things I never would be able to recognize them. No big deal, 90% of the population still won't recognize them and that's fine.

    In truth, I think this is kind of stupid. I don't care who carries but when I see a pack to me it's noticable. I use a fanny pack in the mountains and on my bike at times, but when you see a 20-30-something white guy continually fussing with a large fanny pack worn in front, that's just not 100% normal. Big fricking deal.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array obxned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OBX, NC
    Posts
    2,655
    If Hawaiian shirts or loose T's mean you are armed, then nearly 100% of the people here must be carrying.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,133
    Is it still a Tell if you conceal your fanny pack in your Murse ?

    Seriously tho , over the years i have " made " quite a few folks. I find that watching body language and posture is more usefull than watching clothing.

    Imho you could dance down Colfax Ave. in Denver wearing only a blue tutu and an AK 47 while listening to Richard Simmons work out tapes on a getto blaster and most folks would comment that your shoes did not match your dress while missing the firearm . .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  5. #34
    Member Array FknRa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Folsom, Ca
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Is it still a Tell if you conceal your fanny pack in your Murse ?

    Seriously tho , over the years i have " made " quite a few folks. I find that watching body language and posture is more usefull than watching clothing.

    Imho you could dance down Colfax Ave. in Denver wearing only a blue tutu and an AK 47 while listening to Richard Simmons work out tapes on a getto blaster and most folks would comment that your shoes did not match your dress while missing the firearm . .
    AANd NoW IIIIIII HavE TO ClllleaN mY JKKKEYboarD
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

    As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array INTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    596
    I vote "created our on version". Only "screams gun" I hear is when the gun is printing or visible.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

  7. #36
    Member Array Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Space Coast, Florida
    Posts
    22
    I think the photographers vest in 90 deg weather is the most obvious. I usually carry a Keltec .380 in my pocket but I also own a very small digital camera belt case that is "too small" to be carrying a gun. Looks more like a camera or PDA case. $5.00 at Wally's.

  8. #37
    VIP Member Array havegunjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,206
    I think most of these are urban myth IMHO. The only thing I look for is some type of IWB belt clip as that is what I use. If a person is wearing a fanny pack with an NRA tee shirt then yes I think gun but otherwise I don't have X-Ray eyes so I truly know what is in that pack. I have never been made to my knowledge even by LE and I use a fanny pack on occasion.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

    Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,776

    Exclamation There IS a tell tale indicator...

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    How on earth can anyone claim to know whether the fanny packs they've spotted being worn contained a gun or not?

    Suspicion is one thing. Knowledge is quite another. I guarantee you that nothing about my pack's appearance can confirm for you, or anyone else, that there is a gun inside. (Besides, sometimes there is, and sometimes there isn't, with my pack.)

    So you've been spotting fanny packs for years. Are you saying that you claim to have known they contained CCW?
    On most belly bags that are really holster configurations, there is a definite indicator as to the bag's main purpose. When these bags FIRST appeared years ago they were velcro secured. The idea was to simply rip the bag open from the cover. Problem was it would send an audible signal of your intentions AND when the velcro got dirty it no longer was secure.

    After that the bags began using dual directional zippers that can be opened from either corner by yanking a tab at the corner on the side you wish to open. THAT'S the indicator. A small leather or cloth "tail" sticking from a corner of the bag. But you've got to look fast and not be seen making the observation. In places like Miami Beach it can be seen as ummmmm..."provocative" if you catch my drift.

    Mine has this. It also has multiple zippered compartments I can use for wallet, keys, ammo, whatever. It's handy. The draw is very slow. I have lower back issues so if I carry too much or a gun too large that can cause some pain.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  10. #39
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,776

    Wink Regions play a part...

    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I think most of these are urban myth IMHO. The only thing I look for is some type of IWB belt clip as that is what I use. If a person is wearing a fanny pack with an NRA tee shirt then yes I think gun but otherwise I don't have X-Ray eyes so I truly know what is in that pack. I have never been made to my knowledge even by LE and I use a fanny pack on occasion.
    I notice you're in Minnesota. That's a relative new comer to the world of CCW, correct? Also, I tend to think of the state as one of those "blue states" when it comes to politics. Not exactly a hotbed of conservative progun activism.

    Heck I live in Florida which has been the MODEL for most progun laws for the last 20 years. BUT I live in Miami-Dade which is the ultra liberal part of the state. Real BLUE territory. Still, I also think Miami Dade has the largest percentage of CCW permit holders simply because we're also one of the most densely populated areas of the state. My IDPA Club usually has a pretty fair turnout every month. Miggy is a senior member of that club.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  11. #40
    Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,548
    The only guy I have personally ever "for sure" made was a dude who used to be a courthouse guard and then went into the Private Eye business.

    Spotted two huge bulges on his beltline under his untucked tee shirt.

    At a gun shop, too.

    Suspected? Oh, jeez louise.....dozens. I am VERY suspicious of fanny packs (esp. when worn by hair-covered dudes in overalls wearing ball caps with the confederate flag on the front).

    The vests, too, just scream "gun" to me...the US marshals around here wear them and (apparently, based on how often they wear them) think they are just the cat's meow/bee's knees.

    Ugh.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."


    Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

  12. #41
    VIP Member Array havegunjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,206

    I hear ya!

    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I notice you're in Minnesota. That's a relative new comer to the world of CCW, correct? Also, I tend to think of the state as one of those "blue states" when it comes to politics. Not exactly a hotbed of conservative progun activism.

    Heck I live in Florida which has been the MODEL for most progun laws for the last 20 years. BUT I live in Miami-Dade which is the ultra liberal part of the state. Real BLUE territory. Still, I also think Miami Dade has the largest percentage of CCW permit holders simply because we're also one of the most densely populated areas of the state. My IDPA Club usually has a pretty fair turnout every month. Miggy is a senior member of that club.

    I may not notice many because comparatively speaking we don't have a lot of CC permit holders here. Our law is 4 years old so yes we are one of the new kids on the block. I'm proud to say I helped the process by giving testimony before both our House and Senate committees during that process. I do go to Florida a lot as my Dad lives in Melbourne Beach. I have never really noticed anyone carrying there either for whatever reason.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

    Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

  13. #42
    Senior Member
    Array gimpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,023
    I have found that as an "old geezer" with a limp no one ever gives me a second look regardless of what I wear. However, when I carry my primary rig (Sig P239 IWB), an untucked polo, or casual button-front shirt works very well. I also realize that to a BG I probably look like an easy victim so I am careful to remain alert and watchful.

    Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post

    Of course what really catches my eye is just a person's overall appearance - I look for possible criminals more than I look for other law abiding CCW's. I'll freely admit that I profile and am pre-judgemental when it comes to appraising potential muggers, etc. - if I'm in a not-so nice area and see a youth dressed in gang-banger clothing then I'll keep an eye on him closer than the guy in the business suit at that same gas station or 7-11.
    Ditto!
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  14. #43
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,119
    Tactical vests may or not scream gun, so get a vest that is more dressy [ they make em ]; I have not yet felt that somebody was worried about my glaco holster pac, I do; however tuck the toggles on the inside.
    I have thought that if I got some surgical tubing and ran it from the pac to under my shirt everyone would think it was some kind of nasty medical thing.

  15. #44
    Member Array sevesteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    287
    There have been times I've been 95% sure someone was carrying--

    Same brand oddly shaped holster fanny pack my wife has.
    Printing
    Exposed holster bottom
    Instructor belt buckle
    Hawaiian shirt that didn't match the wearer

    All except the Hawaiian shirt were at gun-related venues. The Hawaiian shirt was at Walmart, the only reason I think he was carrying was that I saw him 45 minutes later at my gun range.

    ...and when I was looking for the Ohioans for Concealed Carry picnic, the proportion of loud shirts and fanny packs let me know I was in the right place.

    I don't care if you know I carry, and I don't think the enemy is all that likely to know. Still, I try to avoid the stereotypes when practical.

  16. #45
    Member Array Grislic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    50
    I tend to scrutinize guys who are wearing fanny packs and/or vests. However the only people I have "made" were from spotting their IWB belt clips. The three guys I noticed (each on separate occasions) had their shirts tucked in. One guy had a full loop, one had a J-hook, and one had two C-clips. None of them had an obvious bulge, but if you know what to look for the clips are noticeable. I have yet to wear my IWB tucked, largely due to this. However, it could probably be mitigated by the right amount of "blousing".

    As an aside, all three of the people I noticed were dressed quite professionally, button up shirts/polos and khakis. The contrast between the light pants and black belt clips was probably a factor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?
    By pogo2 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: March 17th, 2012, 08:35 AM
  2. Gecko45: the man, the legend...
    By Kerbouchard in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: July 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
  3. Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction
    By nova83tx in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
  4. 11 year old girl defends home- Urban Legend - Closed
    By Pro2A in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
  5. Rumor or fact: Sig 240?
    By Euclidean in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Search tags for this page

ccw day planner
,
ccw methods for women
,
ccw unbuttoned shirt
,
concealed carry denver shooter urban legend
,
concealed carry legends
,

urban ccw

,
urban ccw vest
,
urban legend concealed carry
,
video of ccw shooting
,
youngstown oh urban legends
Click on a term to search for related topics.