Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ? - Page 4

Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ?

This is a discussion on Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like a fanny pack is the one most easily made according to the consensus of opinion. Heres my two cent worth. It depends in ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fact or Urban (CCW) Legend ?

Fanny Packs

Seems like a fanny pack is the one most easily made according to the consensus of opinion.

Heres my two cent worth.

It depends in part on where you live. Someone said that almost everyone in California wears a fanny pack. If true I don't see a problem. In rural states, a fanny pack is more often thought of as wimpy, or effeminate. Either of those areas might not make you conspicuous. The "macho" types in the boondocks might assume you are effeminate but that alone might make it less likely to make them think you are carrying it.

If, like me, you don't give a damn what others think of you, you might have an edge. On the other hand, if you are a macho type, you might vomit in your own mouth before wanting anyone to think you are effeminate.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Let's have a contest! We will keep score of all the people we 'made.' One point for verifiable evidence. One half point for a probable. Minus one for being made yourself.

Why does anyone care who is carrying a concealed weapon? A bit silly, no?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Why does anyone care who is carrying a concealed weapon? A bit silly, no?
    Agreed.

However, your contest idea does sound like fun. It reminds me of the mullet hunter website.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The reality is that if you carry all the time you're going to get "made." People who do it every day for a living get made. Criminals who were doing it long before any of us got permits get made.

There's a line between being prudent (and in some places like TX, legal) and going all mall-ninja tacticool 007 about it. People who hang out here all the time, have closets filled with 5.11 and Woolrich Elite, and spend their free time buying guns, shooting guns, talking about guns, fondling guns... those people are not your average soccer mom or mugger.

VIP Member
    Guess what I discovered today?

A police uniform and patrol car screams gun!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    ..bee's knees. Ugh.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Fanny packs are the worst. Im sorry, but no hetrosexual man would wear one unless a gun was in it.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Fanny packs are the worst. Im sorry, but no hetrosexual man would wear one unless a gun was in it.
    I have a somewhat off-topic question, but I've always wondered: Do people put their guns in holsters, and then in a fanny pack, or just let them bobble around in there?

I put my gun in a bookbag at times, and always keep it holstered so the trigger guard is covered. Sometimes I feel this will reduce my "readiness" time and consider not doing it, but I'd like to know if other people do this too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gunlock View Post
    I have a somewhat off-topic question, but I've always wondered: Do people put their guns in holsters, and then in a fanny pack, or just let them bobble around in there?

I put my gun in a bookbag at times, and always keep it holstered so the trigger guard is covered. Sometimes I feel this will reduce my "readiness" time and consider not doing it, but I'd like to know if other people do this too. Thanks.
    There are fanny packs made specifically to hold hanguns. They usually have an elastic type "holster" built in. Before Ohio removed the "plain sight" provision for carrying in vehicles, I used one (with the cover flap folded back) while driving so the handgun was in plain sight.

But GotSig? may be on to something. I did notice that while I was wearing it, I had an almost irresistible urge to go shopping for shoes.

most of this is only noticed by us and LEO the average Joe walking the street ain't putting it together.
    The reason we notice it is because we know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Ith's not a fanny pack, thilly! Ith's a European carry-all!
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

I carry a fanny pack while shooting photos, sometimes there is a gun in there sometimes not. I once had a friend ask if I carried a gun in my pack and I showed him my camera, the gun was there but he excepted the bag was for photo equip. I dress in ragged clothing so People just assume I am a bum and homeless, they don't care what I wear or that I may have a gun. Most people look the other way when they see a bum or homeless person because they are afraid that they will be asked for a handout. I found that while shooting street pictures that dressing 'down' I could become unnoticed, so it has become my standard way to dress in public.

I wear a vest as part of my standard in public clothing, the vest I have are a bit worn, they fit with my overall ragged look. Many street people carry everything they own with them, so fanny packs and vest with the pockets filled don't look out of place. I have known street people who wore 2 pair of pants and 2 coats with a lot of pockets in the middle of the summer so they could have room for all there possesions.

The only time your mode of carry may scream gun is when your clothing is out of context with where you are or what you are percieved to be.

Exclamation Busted !!

After 48 hours and 104 replies between this forum and the other one I posted the question on, I think the general concensus is that the fanny pack, vest, Hawaiian shirt myth is BUSTED !!

Most people seemed to think that the vast majority of people "making" those of us who carry in these manners are fellow members of the ever growing elite segment of society known as CHL holders.

Thanks for the replies.
    Chuck

shirts - just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    If anybody has ever seen the tv series Highlander based on the series of films by the same name, the immortals were able to "sense" when another of their kind was nearby and thus prepare themselves for a fight to the death. It was comparable I guess to a tingling of "spidey sense."

Well, one day last year I'm standing in a line in south Miami and I'm wearing my Banana Republic vest (no longer made) and concealing a Sig P245 in a Blade Tech IWB and one sp mag. It was a hot and muggy day in South Miami and I was very sweaty and uncomfortable. About two steps in front of me was a guy of similar build and wearing similar clothing....but I think HIS vest was a 5*11. And he was printing. But not much. I think he was carrying a 1911 OWB contrasting to my Sig IWB. But suddenly he sort of stiffened and turned right around and stared at me. He looked at me and I at him. We both broke a slight smile and a slightly inclined and polite nod.

I was still standing there in the sweltering heat. Worse we were both getting comments from (forgive a momentary "Potterism" as I'm still reading the book but have now created a hybrid word) SHUGGLES which are the rare non-wizarding folks mixed with our more common sheeple. Me and the other CCW'er were getting comments like: Well BOYS are the FISH biting? Haven't worn the vest since.

I'm now transitioning to a variation of the venerable Hawaiian cover garment. But with a twist. This shirt is innocuous and very ordinary. However it's made from an ultra lightweight fabric, offers wicking properties for sweat and not only has an SPF rating of 30 from the sun but also has a built-in insect repelling feature. That will wash away after about 50 or so machine washes...but heck, who cares?

http://www.exofficio.com/product_det...d-889677caca86

I'll let y'all know how I blend in when I get the shirt. But for now, the vest AND the belly bag are no longer worn. Although I didn't know the other CCWer personally, I suspect he felt the same way.
    Guys, there a lot of shirts out there now that are great cover garments, but aren't quite as "obvious". Check some out like these:

http://www.haggar.com/gs/pdp-C18SS_STR_0047.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...760&hasJS=true

and some of the shirts made, or offered, by Bass Pro for fishing / boating are really comfortable and work really well.

Just a thought.

Clint

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links