Moving to Missouri?

Moving to Missouri?

This is a discussion on Moving to Missouri? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be moving to Missouri within a year or so. Here are some questions for MO members. 1. I'm active duty in the Army, ...

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Moving to Missouri?

I may be moving to Missouri within a year or so. Here are some questions for MO members.

1. I'm active duty in the Army, the move would qualify (I think) under the military residency exception. If this is the case, can I apply for a CCW before I move? I would have orders showing a date of assignment.

2. Does Missouri recognize out of state licenses of Missouri residents? It is my intent to return to Kansas eventually so I want to continue voting in the interim. Will I have to disarm between moving and licensing?

3. Anything special I need to know about MO gun laws in general? The concealable firearm permit only slightly concerns me; do I understand correctly that it's like a local background check thing?

3a. I have no NFA weapons, is everything else kosher?

Thanks in advance for any advice. It's a ways off and not certain, but I want to be prepared.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I am guessing you are going to Ft. Wood. My brother is there right now as a DI. He likes the area and I have been there many times. Can't help you with the law, but can help with area questions if that is where you are going.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Nope, St Joseph is the place. Our operations section is going there and may have an opening.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Should have looked at a map; I could just commute from Kansas.

I'd like to keep the options open anyway.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Check out http://www.missouricarry.com/ lots of good folks their and they can answer your questions for you.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Welcome to Missouri Daddy Warcrimes. I would of thought Ft. Wood also. Missouri honors all state permits but I heard that they are trying to change that law to you must have a MO permit. I just do not know that is true. As far as getting a MO permt, you might have to reside here for a short time and I do not know the time limit. And again it might be different because you are in the military. I know I'm not much help! I wish I knew more. You might get all the info you are seeking in the Missouricarry forum. Wish you were moving to Ft. Wood because I'll be moving to that area soon and I could use a range partner. Good Luck.

I know little about the military exception, as I'm not military, but it might not make any difference...

Missouri does recognize any valid out of state permit, resident or no. If you've got a KS permit (and it's still going to be good if/when you move to MO) then you're good to go. If not, many MO residents carry on permits from FL, UT, et al.

The PTA law I think you are referring to, required to purchase a handgun in the state of MO, has been repealed. That repeal takes affect on Aug 28th of this year. No worries.

NFA weapons would be fine... the exception is silencers, which are a no-no for anyone who isn't LE or an SOT.

I'm an hour from St. Joe, and shoot at the Pigeon Hill range in St. Joe regularly. Be happy to join you one day. Also, there were some references to http://www.missouricarry.com above... check it out, it's a great local resource.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Links