Encouraging the spouse

This is a discussion on Encouraging the spouse within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We both have CCW permits and have had them for a long time. While I have been advancing in my understanding of the need to ...

Thread: Encouraging the spouse

Encouraging the spouse

We both have CCW permits and have had them for a long time. While I have been advancing in my understanding of the need to carry, she has been slow to assume the responsiblity for "Self" protection. Yet, she's always open to discuss situation awareness and defensive strategies and has a not-gonna-be-a-vicitim mentality.
    Occasionally I will chide her with, "And what would you do in XYZ situation? Wouldn't you want a gun that you felt responsible with?" And so on.

Well, this month's Concealed Carry Magazine had an article which must have struck a cord with her, in which it said, "'Only victimes are victimized. People with patterns of loser behavior...encourage victimizers to select them for victimization.'" (CCM, Vol. 4, July, 2007, p. 40) After sharing that with her, the next thing I know we're at the range, and after getting range safety instruction from me, she's practicing correct draw, target acquistion, and fires single shot, finger then off trigger, recover to low ready, safety on, and back to holster sequences, all hitting HCM from 15, then 20, then finally 25 feet. Then she squeezed off all head-shots from 25. This with the new SA EMP. Man! I am pleased to see such shooting from the novice!

When we were through I asked if she had fun. I shouldn't be suprised with the "No" answer. When I first started shooting, it wasn't "fun" because it was so nerve-wracking, what with the safety issues, and learning curve of proper procedure and gun handling. At least she's willing to return to the range and continue. But more importantly, she wants to practice at home, going through the steps and dry-practicing. The dawn of owing one's own personal protection is a beautiful thing to watch!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I share your page!

I am working on my wife re better and more regular carry. In fact she acknowledges she is overdue some range time so hope to remedy that soon.

Thing is she purse carries and often goes out without it - but I try to impress on her that ''stuff happens'' - anywhere anytime. Glad to know your lady is making prgress - sometimes it's baby steps until they realize the importance of it all.

A CCW family is a united family ... well, something like that!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm glad to hear your wife is taking control of her personal safety. Maybe you could find a group of women shooters in your area so that she would see that many women do take responsibility for their own safety. I have noticed that some women will decline an invitation to go to the range with my husband and I but will agree to go with me. I think some women are more comfortable asking another female. It seems like they think the guys are going to make fun of them or their questions.

Me, I don't care if I'm shooting with males or females. The main thing is I'm going to the range!

Senior Moderator
    Yes, very good that she's back out in the shooting world. At very least she should be doing dry-firing exercises at home. Dry fire does a lot to keep one on their proverbial toes.

I also agree with what sarlady has said. Perhaps she'd like to go with another gal, or even take some classes by herself.

Somtimes it takes some work to get the wife detached from her husband's side, but sometimes that's exactly what is needed for a woman to go out and grow and experiment and learn on her own.

Good luck and keep encouraging her.

I just noticed all the PA posters here. I know where to come for range info for my next trip to SW PA!

Sar- and Lima- good advice on the ladies shoot. Our club has enough women members that it should be easy to get them together. Some of them do IDPA as well. I think my bride of 36 years would be willing to come and observe a match. Then it would be a "natural" flow of events for them to befriend her.

Funny, last night she was sewing. I had just finished cleaning three pistols and was surfing the net (probably reading threads on this forum). Her sister had called and asked what music we used to listen to, and the answer was varied from the 60's and 70's. Later, out of the blue she says, "What would you do if the Bee Gees came in here right now?" Sheesh! What a feeemale question! Like what the (deleted expletive) would the Bee Gees be doing coming to visit us?

Duh! She's talking BGs! Women! Who can follow their train(s) of thought!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    "What would you do if the Bee Gees came in here right now?" Sheesh! What a feeemale question! Like what the (deleted expletive) would the Bee Gees be doing coming to visit us?

Duh! She's talking BGs! Women! Who can follow their train(s) of thought!!!!!

Links