Alcohol? - Page 4

Alcohol?

This is a discussion on Alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you drink while carrying? Never. On principle; on grounds of avoiding legal entanglements; and most importantly for keeping my wits, 'cause without ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol?

How many of you drink while carrying?
    Never. On principle; on grounds of avoiding legal entanglements; and most importantly for keeping my wits, 'cause without that nothing else matters in an attack against me or my family. To me, no drink is worth failing the test. I'll have a Pepsi instead.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you're going to drink, don't carry. It just doesn't make sense to do anything else.
    Muskiehunter-

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    So, let me get this straight. You will not carry a handgun while you are enjoying wine with your dinner but you have no problem grabbing the shotgun?

I can certainly understand not wanting to carry when drinking anything at all, but faced with a life threatening situation I think each and every one would choose to fight rather than submit.

While waching a ball game and having a couple of beers a man breaks into your home. "Sorry sir, I cannot shoot you because I had a beer. Feel free to take what you want and please don't hurt me."

Yeah, right!
    Not sure what isn't clear. The point was that when drinking I don't carry a sidearm but will defend my home anyway. BTW, a shotgun is generally preferred for home defense.

On a separate note, I wouldn't shoot anybody for stealing; I would shoot them for breaking in while I was home.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Not sure what isn't clear. The point was that when drinking I don't carry a sidearm but will defend my home anyway.
    The part that isn't clear to me is that some have commented that if they drink (even just a glass of wine) they will lock up their firearms. That implies they will not have them available for home defense.

Is there a difference between carrying a handgun and having a shotgun in the corner, either of which could be used for home defense?

It sounds like you agree with me. Even if you have had a drink you would certainly use deadly force to defend yourself.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    BTW, a shotgun is generally preferred for home defense.
    I strongly disagree, and I think you will find that I'm not alone in that opinion.

But that would be a whole different topic for another thread.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    It sounds like you agree with me. Even if you have had a drink you would certainly use deadly force to defend yourself.
    At home, Yes! Castle doctrine is very easy to apply in FL. And I never have more than two drinks, anyway.

calvary and I mean the Calvary

How much formal schooling does your department require?

Castle doctrine is very easy to apply in FL
    It's a BEAUTIFUL thing, ain't it?!

There are three times when I would never drink. One is when I am carrying and two is when I am riding a motorcycle and three is when I am planning on getting behind the wheel of a car.

Since I carry almost all the time, frequently ride a motorcycle and seem to be needing to drive somewhere every day, I basically don't drink. It has caused some uncomfortable business situations. Once when I met some potential customers at a restaurant, they ordered alcohol and I ordered an ice tea. Well, I was carrying at the time and had to drive afterward and really did not want to tell them I was carrying. They made a couple comments about how I was unfriendly because I wouldn't have an alcoholic drink with them. Needless to say, I didn't get the business.

SonicMisfit, what kind of people base their business dealings on whether you drink with them or not? I'd much rather do business with a non-drinker, myself, and I am not a tee-totaler. I know you hate to lose business, but customers with such superficial judgements like "you aren't being friendly because you won't drink with us" make me want to run as fast as I can in the other direction.
    I commend you for sticking to your "guns" and not being swayed for the sake of business. Besides, I'm from the deep South and we love our ice tea here!

I rarely drink any way...

... and I would never, ever drink while carrying. Guns+alcohol=trouble.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I believe in Ohio it is illegal to consume alcohol and carry, no matter how much or how little you consume. It is illegal to carry in any alcohol serving establishment as well. If I am having a cookout with friends and have something to drink at home, I do not CC or OC. I do however keep my trusty 870 nearby. Carrying and drinking is just asking for trouble. What if you are involved in a shooting, no matter how justified it may be, with alcohol on board you may be subject to additional charges.

Plus it just looks bad for other CCL holders. The headline may read " Brawl ends in death by a intoxicicated man with a gun". As CCL holders we must represent ourselves in a responsible manner, we want to be shown as the good guys, not drunkin nuts with guns.
    There are alot of people on the borderline about CCL's: polititians, and private citizens alike. The only way to show some of these people the light is to hold ourselves to a higher standard, and show that we are responsible everyday Americans. That's JMHO though.

I have not drank in over 20 years I carry all the time.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    One of the first things I was told about gun safety was that Guns and alcohol should nt go together , ever.

I drink 1 or 2 beers after work @ home while I'm carrying. Regardless of what my BAC is, I've still got a wife and a son to protect. I'd rather end up in jail then fail in my responsibility to protect my loved ones. I never drink enough to where I feel like my decision making skills are inhibited in any way.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links