Alcohol? - Page 5

Alcohol?

This is a discussion on Alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pride comes before destruction and a haughty spirit before the fall....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alcohol?

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Pride comes before destruction and a haughty spirit before the fall.

one or two with dinner.
    After all better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    Beer the cause of and solution to all lifes small problems.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

1943 - 2009
    There's a world of difference between being knuckle walkin', commode huggin' drunk and consuming a beer with a burger or steak dinner.

I haven't been in the former condition in over 25 years.

I readily admit to the latter, about once a week.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I gave up all alcoholic beverages when I recieved my CCW. Don't miss it one bit. I also value my CCW more then a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    Never...for two reasons.

1- I don't want to be illegal while carrying and risk losing my permit

2- I would never want to be the slightest bit impared if a situation ever arose where lethal force was necessary. I want to be 100% alert and accurate if my firearm is ever drawn. What if you made a bad dicision and hit something or someone that was not your intended target? Just think about the consequences . . .
    This is interesting. Since we're playing the what-if game ... Point 2 would seem to suggest that if you have had a few alcoholic beverages, you forfeit the right to defend your home upon a break-in or an otherwise uninvited intruder. I don't think that's what you meant, but a lot of the conversation on this topic is of the "never, under any circumstances variety", and I'm not sure that I can agree with that stance.

Having said that, I doubt anyone wants to involved in a alcohol related shooting, but if I had had a few drinks and if someone did break into my home, well, now that would be seem to be a pickle for some folks.

Edited to add:
    I don't want to give the impression that I advocate going out and getting all boozed up while armed - I do NOT advocate that position at all, and I would stress that one should be very careful with anything that goes into their body just about all of the time, but particularly when armed. I guess my point is that most things in life should taken in moderation, but there are times when I've gone out unarmed, had one or two "too many" and gotten a ride home, and I don't believe that I have forfeited my right to self defense or the defense of my home.

The other thing I should have added b/c a lot of folks point out that they carry concealed at home (as do I) most of the time.

cw

Here in Arizona, places that have a liquor license are off-limits whether carrying open or concealed. That includes bars and even family restaurants like Chili's and Applebee's. Whether people choose to obey the law or not is another story (after all, concealed means concealed).

At any rate, I won't drink if I'm out in public. If I'm at home, sure, I like to enjoy beer or wine with dinner, but then the gun comes off and goes into another room. I never drink even to the point of getting buzzed, but that's just because I like to maintain control of my body.

Plus, 1 or 2 beers or a glass of wine with dinner doesn't do anything to me. I'm 6' 2" and 200 lbs., and the stuff I drink is too expensive to get drunk on anyway. (Negra Modelo, Fat Tire, Guinness, etc.)

Distinguished Member
    Gratefully, one day at a time, that, is no longer an issue.

My thinking is: "Why drink at all if you don't plan on feeling the effects of it?"

Especially beer. bleguhn I am not saying get completely smashed but whats the point of drinking a beer at dinner if it has NO effect on you? If you say taste then you are fubar. If you want something to drink with you meal get a soda.

I don't mess with alcohol that much to begin with (maaaybe once a month) but if I have my gun(s) then alcohol does not enter the picture at all. (this means I also try to avoid others who may be drunk/drinking)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links