Alcohol?

Alcohol?

This is a discussion on Alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have had many discussions about carrying in alcohol selling restaurants. How many of you drink while carrying? I have but in severe moderation, and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol?

Alcohol?

We have had many discussions about carrying in alcohol selling restaurants. How many of you drink while carrying? I have but in severe moderation, and only when eating a large dinner. I am 6'3" and 275, so I can have two "restaurant" glasses of beer with dinner and have virtually no effect. I am very strict with myself about stopping after two. If I am not eating, I do not drink. Just an interesting thought provoking discussion topic.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I do not touch an ounce of alcohol when I'm carrying, whether I am eating or not. It's just not worth it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Not a chance in public while carrying. Even though I feel confident that I know my limits and, as you say, a glass of Guinness or two does nothing to me, especially with a meal, I'd never want to be in a position where I had to use my handgun and then later had to deal with the fact in court that I had a couple of drinks.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Alchohol and Guns = Do not pass Go "Go directly to jail". Stripes don't look good on me, and niether does orange.

Let me add that I have maybe only done this on 2 occasions in the 10+ years of carrying. One of which was on duty working with undercover drug officers doing close surveillance.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would recommend to never ever ever drink while carrying - it's just not worth it. If something were to happen, the potential of having it used against you in a court of law would be great regardless of your blood alcohol content.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Virginia doesn't have a minimum standard for DIP, so no way I want to be a test case for drinking and carrying. Since I have to OC in a place that serves alcohol it isn't like they wouldn't know.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I LOVE good beer..........

........but if I'm driving and/or carrying, then no Alchohol at all! If
    ANYTHING unforeseen happens I want there to be NO question of my soberity.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If you are involved in a shooting where the responding officers quickly determine everything you did was "reasonable and necessary," they will probably allow you to go home. Later, when the family sues you in civil court, they will bring in the waiter and/or bartender who served you alcohol. There will be no blood alcohol test because it was not done immediately after the shooting. The jury will hear that you had been drinking therefore your judgement was impaired. Whether or not that is true is irrelevant. No one will believe the "I only had one or two . . ." When you carry, remember that guns and alcohol do not mix. The designated driver is also the designated shooter.

Drinking and carrying is for fools. Harsh? nope.
    Dave

I have had a drink at home now and then while carrying, but I would never drink in public. In many places, the laws are changing to the point that a blood alcohol test becomes irrelevant. It is all up to the officer(s) involved to determine whether you are "impaired."

It is a shame that attitudes of many haven't really changed that much since prohibition, but to a large segment of society, alcohol is just as evil as guns. Instead of blaming gun-wielding murderers, we blame the guns. Instead of blaming automobile-wielding murderers, we blame the alcohol.

I am in aggrement with those above. I know I have had a drink out on the porch at my house when I have been carrying , once or twice. However I do not and will not carry when out in public and drinking.

On a side note since carrying I find I hardly drink anymore.

VIP Member
    Never and besides it is illegal here

Never...for two reasons.

1- I don't want to be illegal while carrying and risk losing my permit

2- I would never want to be the slightest bit impared if a situation ever arose where lethal force was necessary. I want to be 100% alert and accurate if my firearm is ever drawn. What if you made a bad dicision and hit something or someone that was not your intended target? Just think about the consequences . . .
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Well let me tell ya guys I had a close one a couple years back on
    4th of July. The afternoon started out regularly enough met a couple of the boys that were off duty at Applebees had 2 tall boys there while laughing and B.S.ing over a course of 2.5 to 3 hours I left there and took off to Girlfriends house where her family was having a big party Firewirks kegs liqour ETC Catholic Partiers LOL anyways after about 3to 4 hours of being there I had had like 3 solo cups of beer and as always in the midwest 4th of july's are always sweltering so i had sweated most of it out, playing volleyball washers horseshoes throwing people in the lake etc lol about 9 o clock most of the family starts leaving going to other partys etc well all of a sudden its myself, girlfriend, her cousin and his girlfriend is the party we're hanging out i'm trying to persude thing inside, hey i'm young you know how it is, All of a sudden we hear a Harley pulling in the drive way, Angie and her cousin Jeff look at each other and you could feel the mood change, one says "oh $@*&" He's here, I said whos here they then informed that earlier Jeffs moms Boyfriend and jeff Had an verbal altercation, well I said I'll tell him he needs to go and hopefully that ends it. With him knowing I was L.E. i figured honestly how bad can this get well let me tell you guys NEVER THINK THAT I walk up to Jay and go "hey buddy whats going on we're just getting ready to leave and everyone else is up the road why dont ya take off and go up there" well his answer to that was a .357 wheelgun to my gut and his comment "this isnt between me and you biggin' I need to talk to jeff"well I had been Carrying all day and I pulled my back up duty weapon and said " you just made it between me and you Drop the gun Jay " in a commanding voice he refuses adn we have a bit of a stand-off, Now i'm sittin here thinking man this is going to go over wonderful with the soon to be in-laws I'm going to be forced to take this man out in their Backyard I choose to use some Kahones instead of brain I decide I'm going to try to disarm this fool, So we fought he was disarmed we fought some more and he was subdued all the while 911 is one the line with my Girlfriend, I hear my badge number being repeated and next thing I know here comes the calvary and I mean the Calvary we got 8 cars and 2 sargents showing up 1 of which lives up the road and was off duty. I was asked if any shots were fired I said no i was asked if my weapon was drawn and I said Yes I was asked why didn't I Fire, my response was well I had been moderatly drinking nothing serious since 1 oclock i had 5 or six beers now this is at 2330 thereabouts I was administered a PBT By my own dept. I blew .02 My sarge said D@(( son your lucky if you would have shot him you'd be out of a job and out of freedom did not know Indiana Had such strict Rules on Alcohol and Firearms Just food for thought for you guys If a LEO can get tagged that hard so can you

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links