1st Time Flying With A Gun.

This is a discussion on 1st Time Flying With A Gun. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was somewhat nervous about traveling without being armed. I planned on attending a Army veterans reunion with the 4th Infantry Division Association in Colorado ...

Thread: 1st Time Flying With A Gun.

I was somewhat nervous about traveling without being armed.

I planned on attending a Army veterans reunion with the 4th Infantry Division Association in Colorado Springs and then take a side trip to visit my sister in Texas. I just didn't want to go without having the personal protection equipment that has become part of my regular daily routine. I was equally nervous about attempting to bring my revolver with me on the plane.

I first checked out Colorado's and Texas's websites for reciprocity information and concealed carry laws, i.e. inform law enforcement, prohibited areas for concealed carry, etc. I printed out the web page with the states' laws and reciprocity agreement with Pennsylvania for both states as well as the TSA's rules for checking firearms and the airline's rules.

It was all quite simple with no problems at all. At Lehigh Valley International Airport, I checked in at the ticket counter and informed the ticket agent I had an unloaded, locked firearm in my checked baggage. I was asked to sign a Firearms Declaration card and place it in the suitcase with my S&W 642 and to take my bags over to the TSA's scanner.

The TSA agent asked to see the weapon, I handed him the key to the padlock on the factory plastic case and waited for him to inspect the handgun and ammunition. He relocked the case and closed the suitcase and handed me back the key. All done! No sweat! The procedure was almost identical leaving Colorado Springs and again in Dallas. Wow!

I am writing this for anyone that may be planning a trip and would like to continue to stay "in Sheepdog mode", but is concerned about traveling with your favorite personal protection piece. I hope this helps.

Dave

THANKS! good to hear it was so easy.
    I have no plans in the immediate future to travel with my gun but its good to know it is not too difficult.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I have never had a problem myself when traveling with a gun. It's nice when things go as they are suppose to.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

BGR
    That is good to hear. I have never flown with firearms.

I recently flew with my EDC to Tx from Orlando, flying Airtran. The only hiccup I had was Airtran does not allow ammo to be carried in the same suitcase as your checked weapon. You can carry it in separate checked luggage. I chked their website before I went on, but in order not to miss the flight I gave them the ammo I was taking with. Had no problem with TSA. Funnily enough, coming back from Dallas I had no problems with the service counter there. The service person in Orlando looked like he was gonna have a heart attack when I mentioned I was declaring a weapon, he asked to see it when I was putting the declaration inside the case, and he looked like he was afraid it would go off just sitting there in the case. Overall it wasnt a bad experience. I just picked up more ammo when I got into Dallas, and filed away some info if I ever flew them again. Sport cases such as hockey bags, rifle cases are considered a free chked item in addition to your primary checked bag. So if flying AirTran take a second checked case in addition to your primary and you can put your weapon and ammo in it. You are allowed up to 10lbs of ammo also. Hope this helps someone.

SY

Question Ammo

Do most airlines allow you to carry ammo, and if so, is it in the same bag as the weapon? I'm curious.

I had thought that ammo was not allowed, but this was just an uninformed suspicion.

I carried 20 rounds of FMJ (Non-hollow point!) .38 S&W Special in a lidded plastic reloader's box in the same piece of luggage as my weapon with no problem.

I suppose I should add that I flew on Northwest and Continental Airlines.

VIP Member
    About a year ago my son and I flew from Louisiana to California. Our purpose was to drive an old Lincoln back here, but I didn't want to road travel at all without being armed. This would be my first time to fly with a gun, so I decided to read all the regs, and I even called the TSA for clarification. On the day of travel, I knew what to expect I even printed out TSA's info and had it in my pocket.....just in case.

We were at a very small airport, early in the morning. I checked my bag, declared to the ticket agent that I had firearm, he pokes his head in the back doorway used for the luggage and yell's "gun". Two TSA's come out and want to see what I have. No problem, but apparently they don't have a special place to go with me, so I guess we're going to do everything right there at the counter, so I open up everything right there on the floor. If they want to flaunt what we're going to do, then so be it, I'll join in. So I unlocked it, opened up the gun case, and she said that she wanted to see that it was unloaded (they are not supposed to handle your weapon....and she didn't try) so I showed her the empty chamber of my Sig 226 and put eveything back together and they took the bag. When I turned around I think there were 50 pairs of eyes from fellow passengers watching all of this. I sort of smiled to myself wondering what they thought? Who is this guy? I hope he's on our side !

We arrived at our destination fine, while I was out there my father-in-law surprised me and GAVE me his fathers old Colt .32 pocket pistol. Had I known that he was giving me a gun, I wouldn't have brought my Sig, but thanks to him my son and I were both armed.

Our trip back (drove straight thru) was just fine without any incidences. BTW I know the little .32 is no match for the Sig. in defense, but I think I could have kept someone off of us with it. We tried it out when we got home, the little gun shoots great! What an antique.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsor
    I must preface this by saying that I have never flown civilian in CONUS with my weapon. However, from reading many threads on the subject, I would highly recommend having a printout of the airline's regulation for transporting firearms/handguns in hand when you travel.
    It seems that there is a wide degree of interpretation and/or misinformation on the part of the airline employees. One baggage check does it their way while next has a different procedure all within the same airline.

Off topic,
    Dave say Hi to Ft. Carson for me. I was stationed there with the 4th Combat Engineers back in '85. Do you plan on any sight seeing? I'd like to here if the Garden of the Gods is still as beautiful as it was 20 years ago.
    Last edited by luvmy40; July 28th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by kyccw View Post
    Do most airlines allow you to carry ammo, and if so, is it in the same bag as the weapon? I'm curious.

I had thought that ammo was not allowed, but this was just an uninformed suspicion.
    Each airlines has their own limit for ammo. Most regs call for fiber box (cardboard) or original container. UA does NOT like plastic boxes that reloaders like. Some airlines won't allow reloads-most can't tell the difference.

Of course if you make a misstatement you are subject to $10K fines per infraction (ea round).

My .02
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Off topic,
    Dave say Hi to Ft. Carson for me. I was stationed there with the 4th Combat Engineers back in '85. Do you plan on any sight seeing? I'd like to here if the Garden of the Gods is still as beautiful as it was 20 years ago.
    I too was with the 4th (4/70th Armor) in Carson '72-'74. I was the tour guide for a gang from PA, Cog Railway, 7 Falls, Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, etc. The G.o.t.G. is not like I remember it. The grassy fields are paved paths and natural brush. Climbing the rocks and going off the path is restricted. Traffic was a bear.

Sponsored Links