Finally - a decent response on the CT massacre

This is a discussion on Finally - a decent response on the CT massacre within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the doctor's family (wife, two kids) who were murdered and then their home set ablaze in Connecticut. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally - a decent response on the CT massacre

Finally - a decent response on the CT massacre

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the doctor's family (wife, two kids) who were murdered and then their home set ablaze in Connecticut. I've heard so many of the TV talking heads say "what could they have done", "the system failed them", etc. ad nauseum.

Finally -- tonight Geraldo Rivera was interviewing someone about the murders and I caught the tail end of the interview. Geraldo stated (I'm quoting from memory): "If someone broke into my house - with my kids present - I would invoke the death penalty. I would kill them."

I'm not a huge fan of Geraldo but it was good to hear someone who was willing to stand up for themselves instead of the usual hand-wringing.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Being I believe 3am they broke in the odds were stacked against the family.

BUT ... that said had the family been gun savvy and owners, there is a good chance one or more could have achieved control of things and taken the perps out before it went from bad to tragedy. How different it could have been.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the doctor's family (wife, two kids) who were murdered and then their home set ablaze in Connecticut. I've heard so many of the TV talking heads say "what could they have done", "the system failed them", etc. ad nauseum.

Finally -- tonight Geraldo Rivera was interviewing someone about the murders and I caught the tail end of the interview. Geraldo stated (I'm quoting from memory): "If someone broke into my house - with my kids present - I would invoke the death penalty. I would kill them."

I'm not a huge fan of Geraldo but it was good to hear someone who was willing to stand up for themselves instead of the usual hand-wringing.
    I'm with you...

I usually am not a fan of Geraldo, but he finally said something I agree with and is willing to take responsibility for his families safety.

Over the past year or so I've started to warm to Geraldo, after thinking he was a grandstanding jerk for years.

I too heard his remarks today and admired him for speaking up in such a non-PC fashion! He's a strong conservative and with age seems to be getting his journalistic head screwed on better.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it outĒ Ė Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    He's a strong conservative and with age seems to be getting his journalistic head screwed on better.
    You obviously didn't see his ranting in favor of illegal immigrants in the last few months.

He is many things, but a strong conservative I'm not so sure about.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

From FoxNews Report...

"Residents are lining up for gun safety classes so they can buy firearms, said Scott Hoffman, owner of Hoffman's Gun Center in nearby Newington.

"You talk to these people and you can see it's hit home, this particular crime," he said. "It's the sheer grotesqueness of the crime and the fact that it's such a normal family."

A police source close to the investigation confirmed reports that Komisarjevsky, 26, and Hayes, 44, spotted Hawke-Petit and one of her daughters at a grocery store Sunday and followed their car home."

What a pity that such an act had to occur to get some people's heads out of their (insert appropriate word for place where the sun don't shine)!

This is all just so sad at so many levels. (SIGH)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

On the family murders (not too far from here), I agree whole heartedly that a pistol or long gun would have increased their odds, just because those things have that tendency in these situations. I also think an alarm system, electronic or four legged, should not be overlooked.
    H@H

VIP Member
    I USE to like Geraldo , but have lost alot of respect for him over the past few years. Everyone comes out with something that makes sense eventually.

Oh yeah... he was telling O'Reilly that in 20 years the average citizen in the US will resemble someone named Jose than O'Reilly. He is pro-Illegal Immigration. Not just pro Immigration, but Pro Illegal Immigration.

However, he is for personal defense.

Now regarding the events in Connecticut... Chris is right. At 3 am, while you may be on your home turf... Someone breaks in, you the homeowner are usually operating behind the curve.

I gurantee the BG's who break into a known "occupied" dwelling are wound tighter than an eight day clock. They have cat like reflexes, are jumpy and ready to pounce.

The homeowner on the other hand is groggy, confused, scared and things are going down hill from there.

That is why homeowners NEED to have a practiced "game plan", have their house fortified enough that they will at least be awaken by the sounds of the break-in as opposed to being woke by the BG's already in their room. And to have quick access to a hidden weapon and flashlight.

No reports on how their house was secured or if they had pets that could have set the alarm so we can only make some assumptions in this case.

I can't afford an alarm system, but I do have dogs that can and do perform their job of sending the alarm quite effectively and I don't just dismiss their 2 am barks as being "annoying." I will get up and investigate. Yeah, it's a drag... but I haven't been caught off guard yet, and hopefully never will.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    On the family murders (not too far from here), I agree whole heartedly that a pistol or long gun would have increased their odds, just because those things have that tendency in these situations. I also think an alarm system, electronic or four legged, should not be overlooked.
    H@H
    I was thinking the same thing--until I read Lima's post. If they had a firearm, or alarm--would they be prepared to (or actually) use these tools. To borrow from the other thread, if you have a gun to feel safe, it's about as useful as a lucky rabbit's foot--unless you are prepared (mentally, physically) to use it.

I believe that is what separates us from gunowners I'd like to think all of us are prepared (at some level) to use the tools we have at our disposal.

Mike

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Being I believe 3am they broke in the odds were stacked against the family.

BUT ... that said had the family been gun savvy and owners, there is a good chance one or more could have achieved control of things and taken the perps out before it went from bad to tragedy. How different it could have been.
    Right on P95!

I know I'd rather die knowing I took at least one of them with me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The lesson to learn from this is do not leave your doors and garages unlocked or open. At night secure your perimeter.

Suspects eyed in burglaries night before home invasion

July 27, 2007 - 3:23pm

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN
    Associated Press Writer

CHESHIRE, Conn. (AP) - Two men accused of killing a physician's wife and two daughters and setting fire to their house in this upscale town are suspected in two other burglaries the night before, said homeowners who spoke with police.

Joshua Komisarjevsky and Steven Hayes, both on parole for nonviolent crimes, could face the death penalty if convicted in the slayings early Monday of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and the girls.

Authorities say the men broke into the home of Dr. William Petit Jr. and held the family hostage for several hours. One of them forced Hawke-Petit to make a withdrawal at a bank later that morning, triggering suspicion among bank employees, police said. Police rushed to the house, found it on fire and encountered the suspects fleeing. The two were arrested after crashing the Petits' car into police cruisers.

Ronald Bergamo Jr., who lives several miles from the Petits, said a police officer told him the suspects burglarized his home early Sunday as he slept along with his wife, 12-year-old son and another couple. The burglars, apparently entering through an unlocked door, took cash and left a large carving knife on a table in the family room.

"We were within 24 hours of being that family," a shaken Bergamo said of the Petits. "We aren't the quaint town any more."

David Hick, who lives on Bergamo's street, was also asleep with his family when his home was broken into early Sunday. Hick said the burglars stole a photo of him and his wife, along with cash, credit cards and a cell phone.

Taking the photo left them wondering if the robbers planned to target them.

"That's one thing that is really bothering us," Hick said Thursday. "What happened to them could have happened to us just as easily."

Komisarjevsky and Hayes were charged with six capital felony counts in the deaths of Hawke-Petit and her daughters Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11. The men also were charged with assault, sexual assault, kidnapping, robbery and arson.

They have not been charged in the break-ins at the other homes.

"We're not leaving any stone unturned," police Lt. Jay Markella said, declining to confirm a link between the three break-ins.

Hawke-Petit, 48, a school nurse, was strangled and her daughters died of smoke inhalation, according to the state medical examiner. The mother and younger daughter were sexually assaulted, according to arrest documents.

A private service for the Hawke-Petit and her daughters was set for Friday, and a public memorial was scheduled for Saturday.

Residents are lining up for gun safety classes so they can buy firearms, said Scott Hoffman, owner of Hoffman's Gun Center in nearby Newington.

"You talk to these people and you can see it's hit home, this particular crime," he said. "It's the sheer grotesqueness of the crime and the fact that it's such a normal family."

A police source close to the investigation confirmed reports that Komisarjevsky, 26, and Hayes, 44, spotted Hawke-Petit and one of her daughters at a grocery store Sunday and followed their car home.

Police gave family members the same account, said Glenn Petit, Hawke-Petit's brother-in-law.

"They were attracted to the car," he told The Associated Press, though he was not sure what model Hawke-Petit was driving. "They liked the car, followed her home, thought she lived in a nice house."

William Petit, who remained hospitalized in stable condition, had been beaten and bound in the basement but managed to escape the fire. The bodies of his wife and daughters were found inside.

"He's doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances," Glenn Petit said of his brother. "Emotionally, he's a mess. He is stunned right now. He's had his family taken from him."

Komisarjevsky and Hayes were each being held on $15 million bond. Convicted burglars with lengthy criminal records, they had been roommates at a drug treatment center and halfway house in Hartford last year.

Komisarjevsky is a member of a prominent family in the stage arts.

"It was a monstrous, deranged act, beyond comprehension," his family said in a news release Thursday.

Komisarjevsky lived a few miles from the Petits, but it was not clear if there was any connection between them.

Source CNN via AP - http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/27/family.killed.ap
    Beyond regularly locked doors and a secured _and_ checked perimeter an alarm system and/or dog(s) would have been effective as a whole toward all three reported cases. A firearm is a measure of last resort item of protection as opposed to the above layering being prevention which provides and precedes firearm protection.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    From FoxNews Report...

"Residents are lining up for gun safety classes so they can buy firearms, said Scott Hoffman, owner of Hoffman's Gun Center in nearby Newington."
    It's amazing how tragedies like the Connecticut and Virginia Tech massacres work to get many liberal anti-gunners to start using the logical part of their brain to realize that our world does not provide the safe and secure sanctuary that exists in their fantasies.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Both of these murdering scumbags have very long rap sheets and should have been in prison instead of raping and murdering little girls and murdering their mother. Saw a weasel from the state parole board on TV saying that the parole board did nothing wrong by releasing the scumbags.

If the parole board did nothing wrong by releasing these two criminals, then the state legislature and the governor have a lot of work that needs done.

Even a broken lefty clock is right twice a day.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links