Just got stationed at fort lewis,washington; I feel naked without my Glock 30

This is a discussion on Just got stationed at fort lewis,washington; I feel naked without my Glock 30 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I just got stationed in Fort lewis, washington, just got here yesterday, any decent gun stores and/or ranges around in this area, I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, I just got stationed in Fort lewis, washington, just got here yesterday, any decent gun stores and/or ranges around in this area, I will be off base if not at work most of the time. I have one good question, I have a TN Carry permit but washington does not honor my permit would i just get a non-resident permit or try to get a resident permit, is it hard to get either or what to expect thanks.

VIP Member
    It's been a long time since I was stationed there, but here's what I remember. None of it may hold true anymore, but here it is...

There was a high-end gun shop right outside of post, in Tillicum. It was almost all "tactical" stuff - they had a PSG1 for cryin' out loud. Lots of guys from 1st Group and 2nd Bat would hang out there, though I could never afford much...

There are other gun shops around Tacoma, of course, I'm sure some are still there (or new ones have moved in.)

These is a gun show in Puyallup (a town about 30 minutes from Lewis) every month or so - it used to be pretty decent.

Getting a Washington CCW permit is pretty easy - I suggest that you go ahead and do it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I cant answer your questions, but I loved Lewis when I was there in the mid '90s. It seems as if there was a range open to enlisted and officers on post...

I just thought about that some more, I dont think that was Lewis.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    There are (were) several ranges on post. A skeet/trap range and a pistol/rifle range, both open to soldiers (and others, though I forget the requirements).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

If you're stationed there, I guess you're active duty. If so, it's the resident permit you get.

Thats right P7 - with your orders in hand you are a resident.

I would get the permit. A good range/gun shop I can recommend is the Marksman in Puyallup. Look them up. They have a wide selection of guns, ammo, etc.. rentals too if your buddies want to go shooting.

Washington is a pretty progressive state - however, they don't deny your rights. I would call the local sherriff's office and ask about the permit. Get it done ASAP because you'll deploy sooner than you think. Time flies. Best of luck!

Enjoy my state :)

Austin

Smile how long does it take up here?

how long does it take up here to get it , it took about 6 to 8 weeks in Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by datruthab123 View Post
    how long does it take up here to get it , it took about 6 to 8 weeks in Nashville
    On paper it takes 30 days. Mine took 28 in Seattle, some have gotten it in as little as a week. But expect up to 30 days.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Ah yes beautiful North Fort, loved the barracks there! back in the 80's they were all WWI vintage.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Washington is not hard at all to get a permit. You could also get a Utah non-resident pemit which would also cover you for Washington. Most people here in Oregon just get the Utah non-resident to cover for Washington since it also gives us as many states as a non-resident Florida.

Thats just another option. If you can't find an instructer there for that, pm me and I will give you the information on an instructer here in the Salem/Portland area. The class is $65 plus license fees. He may be able to even direct you to a local instructer up there.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; July 30th, 2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: gramme
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Check with the Post Gun Range NCOIC office. They may offer free CCW classes for soldiers or know of a program done via the Rec Center.

VIP Member
    When I was there, there was no requirment for a class of any sort. Of course, that may have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    When I was there, there was no requirment for a class of any sort. Of course, that may have changed...
    I think that was for the Utah permit recommendation. There's no requirement for a class in WA.

There is no reqirement for a class in Washington. A ID card, your orders, and a driver's license is all you'll need other then money. There is no difference between a resident and non-resident license, except a resident license must be issued or denied within 30 days and a nonresident 60 days. I believe that as military, you'll be treated as resident.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Here's where to go for much more local info. It's the Washington Hometown forum in AR15.com, check it out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=15
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links