Shopping at Kohl's

Shopping at Kohl's

This is a discussion on Shopping at Kohl's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love Kohl's for concealment clothes. They have alot of sales and I can usually find nice shirts and pants at 50% off. I was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

Shopping at Kohl's

I love Kohl's for concealment clothes. They have alot of sales and I can usually find nice shirts and pants at 50% off.
    I was shopping there today for a couple shirts. I decided on 2 button up Columbia shirts ( at half price of course ) and I took them in the dressing room. I tried one of them on and was carrying my XD40SC OWB and a spare mag. I wondered if they had cameras, but I believe its illegal to have a camera in the dressing room. But when I changed my shirt of course my gun was totally exposed.
    The only reason I wonder if they knew I was carrying was because when I came out of the dressing room and turned the corner, a guy ( in plain clothes ) turned another corner and I startled him, he looked like he'd seen a ghost. He was kinda in a hurry to get there. From then on , he followed me all around the store. I looked at every item in that store just so he'd follow me. ( Make him earn his money )Sometimes he got within 6 feet of me. He was on me like white on rice. Every time I looked at him , he was looking at me. I guess he thought he was incognito. I knew he was plain clothes as soon as I walked out of the dressing room.
    As I was checking out, I told the cashier I did not appreciate him following me around the store like I was some kind of thief. I said he wasnt fooling anybody. She apologized and I told her to tell him what I said next time she talked to him.
    I almost said something to the guy like " If you think I'm going to steal something I'll just put these shirts back" then leave the store. But I was carrying and I didnt want to sound confrontational if somehow he did know I was carrying. Next time , I'm sure I'll say something and tell him I'll never come back .(politely)
    Does anyone know if it is in fact illegal to have a camera in the dressing rooms? Could it be he just somehow thought I was a thief and had nothing to do with me carrying? I dont believe I was printing, if I was it was very minimal. I wasnt adjusting or pulling at my shirt.

Not sure if it's illegal, but I couldn't see any company having one because it is a clear invasion of privacy. Seems like an open and shut lawsuit if they did have a camera.

It is odd that he followed you around. If he doesn't carry, I would find it very unlikely that he knew you were carrying. Most likely someone profiled you as a shoplifter.

I would think that if someone made you, they would most likely call the police. If I worked in a retail store and I thought someone had a gun and was likely to use it... I sure wouldn't follow them around. I'd get the hell out of there. It sure isn't worth anything near minimum wage.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Kohl's loss prevention; that's what they do. You probably fit some kind of profile that they had established; i.e. method of dress, how quickly you moved from the entrance to your items to the dressing room (I call it being efficient, but whatever). Also, if you're a little obvious about your situational awareness (i.e. your head really is on a swivel), you are doing exactly what shoplifters do when they look for cameras and LP personnel.

Kohl's policy states that they had same sex personnel watching the dressing room using cameras. I tried on shirts there just as you did then on the way out of the dressing room I saw the policy. I wasn't tailed by anyone, but here in Colorado they would be tailing everyone.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Remind me to not go there. I don t like people following when i am shopping. Holy cow break out the PINK Elephant and and ask the question. May I help you find something?

Several months ago, I realized that a guy was following me thru a store. I initially thought he was security.

But then he followed me all the way outside. I paused in my car/ pretending to use the phone but really to watch him. He got in his car - traveled a big 3/4 circle and stopped again - to where he could watch/follow my movements.

I quickly drove behind the store plaza and did a u-turn, and there he was - following me again. I was able to exit through a hole in traffic and leave him stuck in the parking lot.

During the u-turn I took my first good look at him...

Oh, thanks for the heads up on Kohls clothing. I haven't been in one in perhaps 25 years; our area is getting a new one, it may even already be open.

I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Also, if you're a little obvious about your situational awareness (i.e. your head really is on a swivel), you are doing exactly what shoplifters do when they look for cameras and LP personnel.
    That's probably it. You didn't look like the average condition white sheep. You MUST be up to no good.
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Kohl's policy states that they had same sex personnel watching the dressing room using cameras. I tried on shirts there just as you did then on the way out of the dressing room I saw the policy. I wasn't tailed by anyone, but here in Colorado they would be tailing everyone.
    Thats what I was thinking as I was "making him follow me around the store". I was wondering if they could have guys watching the guys and girls watching the girls. It just seemed obvious to me he was startled when he rounded that corner like he was in a panic. He was after ME. I just felt he knew I was carrying because he was so persistant. I didn't notice any signs. I partially read one in the dressing room. Is that where the sign is?
    I guess next time I'll have to politely say something to him. If he gives me a hard time about carrying , I'll tell him they get no more of my business.

I like Kohl's too. I hope that they don't have camera's in the dressing rooms. If they do, I probably will not be shopping there anymore. I'm not crazy about my privacy being invaded(go figure!). I'll have to look for their policy when I go next time.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Ok guys and gals. I decided to go back to Kohl's and see what they had to say. I asked for a manager and this pretty little thing walked up and I began telling her of my experience. She looked puzzled and said " We don't have a man on duty today". I insisted this guy was under cover of some sort watching every move I made for 20 minutes following me everywhere I went. . She asked what he looked like , I gave her a rough description and she said "let me call security". She did and asked if I would like to go back to the camera room. I said sure. The girl watching the camera happen to live 4 houses up from me. They wanted me to identify the guy from the tape. Well as luck would have it, we saw me on the video going in the store and checking out, but not him. They keep the camera on the register almost entirely. They can watch different areas but she said they mainly watch the women because they steal a whole lot more.
    I asked them about cameras in the dressing rooms and they said certainly not. She said we could get sued. She showed me that the cameras dont even look into the entrance to the dressing rooms. They felt it was someone stalking me or something , but that makes no sense, the guy never followed me out and he vanished once I reached the register.
    So now I'm puzzled. I still feel it had something to do with me carrying, but I dont know how that could be. I didn't tell them I carried, I wasnt going that far. They said if it happens again, to let them know. I said , "I will but I'll say something to him first".
    I felt they were both honest with me about a guy not working in security. They even checked the time sheet. Got me puzzled. I'm going back soon and see what happens. I'd hate to stop shopping at Kohl's.

I was just shopping at Kohl's last night. I had to uncover my pistol while in the dressing room and wondered the same thing about cameras. I didn't see any sign about them. I also didn't have anyone follow me afterwards.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skvinson View Post
    I was just shopping at Kohl's last night. I had to uncover my pistol while in the dressing room and wondered the same thing about cameras. I didn't see any sign about them. I also didn't have anyone follow me afterwards.
    I've had to disarm several times in the dressing room too, but this was the first time I was OWB with an XD40 and didnt disarm. Before I'd just put my 642 in a shirt on the bench, it wasn't as obvious.

VIP Member
    Interesting experience. I would have probably looked at him and asked, "LP guy?". If he said no, next would be "Police officer?". If no then I take his picture and head off to get a manager and or call the police.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

you know, its really weird, I dont like dressing rooms, they creep me out, nayway, the best way to handle buying carry clothes is to just know what size you wear, and try them on at home, in my opinion.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the MARINES don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Remember your abilities AND disabilities can become Possibilities!

Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links