concealed carry permit time in northern VA?

This is a discussion on concealed carry permit time in northern VA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be applying for my permit in about a week (take the NRA concealed carry class on Monday). For all you Virginia residents, specifically those ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry permit time in northern VA?

concealed carry permit time in northern VA?

I'll be applying for my permit in about a week (take the NRA concealed carry class on Monday). For all you Virginia residents, specifically those in Northern VA, approx. how long did it take you to get your permit back?

2. Remove Ads

Warrenton might not be as bad, but Fairfax county has some very liberal judges and you WILL NOT see a permit until the exact 45th day (the max they can make u wait by law). Good luck with that.

Hmm I seem to remember getting my permit in Fairfax back in 2001ish... and I'm pretty sure I got it in 33 days. My how times change. Clarke is fairly quick. I got my renewal one in clarke in around a week and a half.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

27 days here. That's from Newport News.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15 days in NN for me.

Took me 3 1/2 weeks including mail time

Took me 3 1/2 weeks....Fairfax County

42 days-Stafford County

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    I'll be applying for my permit in about a week (take the NRA concealed carry class on Monday). For all you Virginia residents, specifically those in Northern VA, approx. how long did it take you to get your permit back?

Back in 2003, in FFX County, 44 days.

JD
    Administrator

From the VCDL

If it takes more than 45 days remember the following from the
    VCDL's Website
    My Permit is Taking More Than 45 Days!

A VCDL supported law went into effect on July 1st, 2004 which provides that if the court has not issued or denied the permit within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification.

If you are having a problem with getting your permit or de facto permit, the Circuit Courts in Virginia are supervised by the Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court and he has expressed concerns about the way the various Circuit Courts have been flagrantly violating the law. It is strongly suggested that you complain directly to him. Be polite and provide as much detail as possible - names, dates, comments made by officials, documents provided by officials, etc.:

Chief Justice
    Supreme Court of Virginia
    100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
    Richmond, VA 23219

Culpeper seems to push the 45 day limit right to the edge

Got my original in 2002 and seems like they took most of the 45 days. And I had to go to the clerk's office and pick it up in person and they were only giving them out one day a week. My truck was hit by a Lexus in Manassas as I was on my way home early to get the permit. I called the clerk and was able to pick it up the next day because of the accident.

My renewal is in the works right now and looks like it'll take the full 45 again. If it does I'll be without a permit for about a week. I turned it in a little late due to a business trip and a broken ankle. Even at that, the person at the clerk's office said the judge doesn't like the application turned in until the permit's within 45 days of expiring!

I did just get a letter from the county Commonwealth's Attorney saying that he'd sent the application to the judge for signature. Got the same form letter the first time around, too. On the bright side, they mail the permits out now instead of going to the office. So that'll save me some lost time at work.

Rick
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I can't imagine Warrenton taking the full 45 days. My buddy in Loudon got it in a week or so.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

3 weeks (+/- a couple days) for both mine and my wife's in Loudoun County. A friend and neighbor same thing.

Hmmm....so what other "rules" does The Judge have??

The judge's "rules"...

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Hmmm....so what other "rules" does The Judge have??
    I don't know that he has any other "rules." This one was a surprise to me, but it's my first renewal. I didn't have any trouble with the first application, except that the county seemed to want to drag it out to the last of the 45 days the law gives them.

I first got the permit because of a sort of domestic situation. The biological father (long rap sheet) of two of our kids came to our area from Arkansas. I got a protective order and the judge and LEO's I dealt with were very helpful. Told the judge I'd applied for a permit and he just said to be careful. Just learned yesterday that this guy has recently been released, again. Time to ratchet up the awareness level.

I haven't had any incidents or LEO encounters while carrying, concealed or open, in Culpeper county or any other place I've gone. I just had a few days in West Virginia and Ohio and had to look up the off-limits places for those states, but no troubles.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links